Rotors

And you could do a static adjustment to the trim.
Can you do that with the pneumatic spring on the MTO?
Or maybe that's because it was originally a MT-03.
The mast angle was altered - but the actuator was altered with it, so...

Do you know the Auto-Gyro MTO series?

Have had the pleasure of flying with various types of rotors in various single seaters.

The Bensen I first flew I had 22’ Rotor Hawkes, I then went to 22’ Layzelles, these were British produced Rotordyne, and an improvement in performance in my opinion. Flown them on Bensen and the AV-18A

My first experience with 22’ Dragon wings was in a Cricket, they flew well, our Hornet had 24’ Dragons and were great, liked they way the performed/flew on a Merlin.

22’ McCutcheon blades in a Benson were very smooth and performed well.

I noticed a definite improvement in performance when going from a 22’ Layzelle to a 23’ blade in a Benson.

Flew 22’ Benson/Brock rotors on a Cricket yesterday, and was underwhelmed with their performance. They were a mild mannered blade, seemed very tolerant ie not critical in terms of blade sail/flap, so good for student initial training, but getting off the ground was an effort, climb performance was poor, and sank like a rock with power off.

I will say we hadn’t done a thrust test and so I may not have had as much thrust from the prop as was possible, but to my mind my rotors are my wings, and these weren’t the best.

I flew for a company that had 5 Lear Jets, and there were 3 different types of wing mods within that group and they all flew differently on a similar airframe and power plants. They all had their little quirks, these most noticeable on the final approach and landing phase, and I believe this of rotors.

Brocks/Bensens are an old blade and probably not many about. Possibly a good thing.
good info thanks

No, do you have a manual that describes the trim system?
Hmm, not in the POH. It just mentions the word "trim".
The maintenance manual has a diagram of the pneumatic system.
First thing you do when you sit down in the front seat is to get some air pressure
to get the rotor head level (in "brake" mode.)

So you are really on your own until you ask someone in the know or get some training.......

Cheers
Erik

Last edited: