Rotors Over the Rockies

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Time is going by quickly and before you know it Summer will be here. We are now only 7 weeks away from starting our 3rd annual "Rotors Over the Rockies" and I wanted to remind everyone and invite you to come join us this year. June 10 - 12, at the Brigham City airport (in Northern UT.)

We will get lots more details out to everyone as the event gets closer, but for now mark it on your calendar and start planning on how you can work it into your summer schedule. As the event has grown, we have moved to a much bigger and nicer facility. The access is right off I-15 so it is easy to get to and Motels and Resturant options are plentiful. Several Rotorcraft Manufacturers and Dealers will be there as well as a wide assortment of Rotorcraft so plan on joining us. (we'll leave the light on for ya)

Utah Rotorcraft Association
(PRA Chapter 2)

Into's

Into's

Doug I was wondering if there will be any tandoms offering into rides and if so, what day or days will they be going on and would it be best to pre schedule to ensure a ride?

Thanks,
Lance
Aspiring Gyro pilot

I'll be there!!!

Hi Doug!
I would like to get you on PRA's front page as the next rotorcraft event to share online.
I need some promo material describing the event as well as any webpage links you would like to direct folks to, pictures are great too YouTube videos even better.

...will be any tandoms offering into rides and if so, what day or days will they be going on and would it be best to pre schedule to ensure a ride?

Lance, I'll jump in for Doug here...there are only a couple tandem machines I know of flying in the western US right now. Britta Penca, president of the Arizona Rotorcraft Club (PRA15) has an Air Command; Sport Copter in Oregon has a one-of-a-kind stretched version of the Vortex single-place used for training the company's customers. We're not aware of anyone planning on coming to our event with a tandem at this point, although it could happen, as there's no need to RSVP.

We expect to have enclosed, side-by-side, two-place machines available for intro flights, but I wouldn't bet on a tandem, at least not this year.

The lack of available instruction in open tandem machines is, IMHO, an acute issue out west here. If a CFI in our region could put one into service, I think his dance card would fill pretty quickly, since it best simulates the experience of an open, single-place machine.

...I need some promo material describing the event as well as any webpage links you would like to direct folks to, pictures are great too YouTube videos even better.

John, I'm gathering materials now, and there are a few things that won't be finalized until our meeting May 8th, but I'll share with you whatever you need.

Part of the struggle promoting this event is that our new location is such an upgrade, from both visual and facilities standpoints, that none of the photos and video from the first two years remotely does it justice. We are right, smack up against the mountains, with a 7,500' runway that just got $14 million in improvements. (I know, I know...nice problem to have!)

Keep in touch directly over the next few days, and I'll get you what I can as soon as it's available.

Attachments

• Curt_KBMC_sm.JPG
    Curt_KBMC_sm.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you Paul, will do!

I did post some pictures of the airport in this thread

Thanks Michael - nice airport!
Your chapter is so impressive it just keeps getting better.

Paul has just recruited me as a very willing participant to display and explain the operating procedures for Nicolas's state-of-the-art self-contained all electric prerotator.
Looks like we will have one here in time for the show.
Here is a link: http://www.aviomania.com/booster-prerotator.htm

I'll be there on the 11th-12th at least.

Who else is coming to the party and when? :party:

Last edited:
Almost everything!

Almost everything!

John,

It gets pretty hard to start naming names and not leave lots of people out, but trust me, we are going to have a MUCH bigger turnouot this year than we had last year. Thursday and Friday will be the best days for hard core Rotorcraft enthusiasts who want to mingle talk and fly rotorcraft and attend forums. Saturday will have a much larger general public crowd with new people interested in learning about Rotorcraft and a General Aviation FlyIn and Pancake Breakfast that will bring in a lot of fixed wing guys. But all 3 days will be packed with Informational Forums and Flying and food and fun. We will have hang tests and scales to weigh aircraft available. an A&P / AI available to do annuals at a very reasonable rate, and a Dar available to do Airworthiness Inspections. We will have a CFI there all 3 days and at least a couple 2 seat aircraft that can be giving demo rides. There will be 2 Experimental Helicopter Dealers here and 1 Commercial Helicopter School giving rides and trying to drum up new students. There will be at least a couple Gyroplane Dealerships represented and we may even have the Groen Bros. Hawk 4 on display. There should be a pretty good mix of Helicopters and Gyroplanes with a little bit of almost everything here. Can't wait to see you again!

Doug Barker
URA Pres.

Thanks Doug for the update, it sounds like a party to me. :party: I'm All IN, see ya there!!!

It looks good for me making it down too

Glad to hear it John. It just wouldn't be the same without you here. Our new location should be a little closer for you to travel to. You will like it. See you soon.

Last edited:
Mark,

I did receive it and just in time for us to use it as a static display at Rotors Over the Rockies. Thank you very much for sending that to me. If you would like to be re-imbursed for the shipping fees just send me a private message and let me know how much it cost and I will be glad to re-imburse you. Thanks again.

Mark,

I did receive it and just in time for us to use it as a static display at Rotors Over the Rockies. Thank you very much for sending that to me. If you would like to be re-imbursed for the shipping fees just send me a private message and let me know how much it cost and I will be glad to re-imburse you. Thanks again.

no cost to you for shipping, glad someone put it to good use.
Thank you for preserving a part of history.:peace:

It's going to be great this year!!!

It's going to be great this year!!!

I hope everyone that can possibly make it is planning on coming to our ROTR event this year. As people call me and discuss their plans for coming it is really shaping up to be a great event this year. There will be a wide variety of rotorcraft here both Helicopters and Gyroplanes. We will have CFI's, & DAR's and A&P's here to provide services. We will have equipment to do machine weigh ins and hang tests and thrust tests. We have 14 forums lined up and 4 dealers / manufacturers that will be here with displays and machines. This will be the biggest Rotary Winged Event West of Mentone. If your not here with us this year you will wish you had been. Please come and join us.

Yaw Mon! I know that at least Ben, Dave, Jeff, and I are all coming. Dave and Ben are bringing there gyros....

John,

I hope we have a little time to talk and get to know each other better this year. I know you were here last year but you didn't stay very long and I was so wrapped up in everything that was going on we really didn't get much time to talk. Hopefully this year we will be able to just chill and spend some time talking. Are you going to be camping on the field or are you getting a motel for the night?

Hi Doug, this year we will have much more time, no worries there.
Probably a motel, but we'll see what the other guys are doing...
Cannot wait it will be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!