Rotors Over The Rockies 2013 Official Thread

Alright, I'm leaving the house. Should be there in about an hour and a half. See ya there.

It just keeps getting better!

It just keeps getting better!

More Gyroplane showing up.

Lots of great people to visit with.

A great CFI round table discussion this eventing.

Paul gave a nice talk on the black art of radio and built an antenna from wood and tape that according to his gadget worked pretty well.

I am excited to be here.

I am off to bed.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
Enjoyed a beautiful flight with Mike B. this morning... check up complete! Then off to Ogden airport, flight of 6... New record for Utah! The tower operators there are fantastic. Always pleasant and helpful. They handle congested traffic with ease and grace. All of the gyros that have arrived are so awesome. Such beautiful flying machines. I feel honored to be with the caliber of people that are attending this event... Very skilled, polite, great folks... dear friends. A special dedication was given by Mark to DogMan at breakfast. The flight to Ogden and breakfast was done with his remembrance in our hearts. I'm thankful for the freedom to fly and be a part of this great organization. Be safe all.
ENJOY!, STILL 1.5 DAYS LEFT!

Awsome day!!

Awsome day!!

Only had the chance to spend Thursday at ROTR but what a day. Made a lot of new friends and got a ride in an MTO. Thanks Desmond, that was an awesome ride into the waterfall canyon.

Caught up with an old high school friend who owns Airmotive Services in Brigham City. His dad taught my dad how to fly in the early 50's.

Cant wait to go get and learn to fly the Air Command. Will need a lot of help and suport with the new adventure. Hope to see all of you soon.

Mark Archibald
PRA Chapter 2
Bountiful, Utah

Attachments

• AC3.jpg
    AC3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • AC1.jpg
    AC1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AC4.jpg
    AC4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1
  • AC5.jpg
    AC5.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
Rotors Over the Rockies just keeps growing!

Rotors Over the Rockies just keeps growing!

More people keep showing up and the fun doesn’t stop.

Had a great dinner with twenty four people.

23:30 and I just got back to the Galaxy Motel after watching Marion’s movie.

Regards, Vance

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
Wow thank you for posting these looks like a great turn out.

Sadly I'm not going to be able to make it this year. I called Doug who was going to fly out with me and told him the bad news.

So I'm really enjoying seeing and hearing all about the fun on this thread!

Doug you did a an OUTSTANDING job ! Thank you for your hard work.

We have concluded a great, gathering of some of the finest people on earth. The airport is quiet with reflection of a friendships renewed and fantastic airtime. I thank each and everyone of you for your efforts to get here, your flying and building skills, but mostly for the safety and respect you show to one another. For the time and knowledge you freely share. Be safe in your travels home :) (AND MARK ON YOUR CALANDERS... ROTR IS ONLY 362 DAYS FROM NOW!

Great Time!

Great Time!

Thanks to everyone at the event. I enjoyed meeting so many nice people and learned quite a bit just listening to the conversations. Desmond did a great job explaining and demonstrating flight principles for me!
A great event!

More Pictures of the Event

More Pictures of the Event

From Bensen's to Black Hawks, to Wind Ryder's to Modern Enclosed Models we had a great representation of Rotorcraft this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2
I had such a good time!
I got a cold on Wednesday and wasn't feeling well for the first couple of days. So, good ADM ( :eek:hwell: ) and winds that were a little sketchy for me limited my flying time at the event. So I don't have much video of my flying at all.
However, being on the ground meant more time with a bunch of really great people.
Marion Springer... what can I say? I fell in love again this weekend. Time spent with Marion could never be counted as wasted time... ever. Oh yeah!! Almost forgot... she's a stunt pilot! Can you imagine? We got to see her in action in the movie in which she flew stunts and it was awesome!
Vance Breese... I could just sit and listen to Vance all day and not grow tired of it. As long as I keep my mouth closed and my ears and mind open, I learn and I laugh (mao!) and I come away a better person for it.
All my friends from near and far (so happy to be able to call you all friends)...
Kent O., Steve and Rose, Britta and Mark, Curt, Doug, Paul, Thomas, Kevin R., Kevin E., Gillan, Chuck, Michael, Desmon and Crissy and Curt, ... and so many more. Holy cow! As I sit here thinking of names, I realize that the list would be a paragraph long. But what an awesome paragraph it would be!
I wanted to fly a lot more. But had I spent more time in the air, it would have meant less time spent with all you great people. For that, I am thankful for my cold.
June 2014 cannot arrive soon enough.
:wave:

I have about 165 pictures of the event. Don't worry I won't post them all here. As I was flying away Saturday night I has a chance to interact in the air with Kevin and Glenn. It was a great way to end the event. It could not have been a better event for me. I feel like Glenn I can not wait for next year. This event has grown by leaps and bounds. Thanks to all that made it happen.

More Pictures

More Pictures

Hers some more pictures of machines that came.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1
Rotr 2013 Pictures

Rotr 2013 Pictures

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3270.jpg

More Machines

More Machines

With everything that was going on, I just didn't get a chance to get pictures of all the machines that were there. But it was the biggest and best turnout we have had so far. I believe we saw a total of 18 Gyroplanes and 4 Helicopters. It was really cool to see all the machines. We also got to go in the hanger and see the Groen Brothers "Hawk Four" but I didn't get any pictures of it this year.

Oh, I almost forgot! The picture of the Red Calidus has my eldest son (Jonathan) in the back seat who just took his first Gyroplane Instruction at the Event. (he came back with that famous Gyro Grin)

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here's some of the people.

Here's some of the people.

We had Forums, & Dealer Presentations but most of all we had a lot of good Friends spending time together and learning more about our common love of Rotorcraft and Flying. What a great time we had.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
This is one of the top 3 fly-ins I've gone too.
Beautiful scenery, beautiful people, and all having a ball!

Thanks for the pictures and the list of names Glen and others many of them our my friends good to hear they were there. Sorry about your cold but I had a ball on the ground the last two years so I know what you mean, hope you get well soon buddy.

Very nice reports ... for those who had to stay home!

Very nice reports ... for those who had to stay home!

Great pics everyone - Thanks for sharing! just had a long phonechat to Glenn about it all ... good times, good people ... we'll do our best to be organized so not to miss out next year!!!! :D

Time well spent!

Time well spent!

I had a great time, learned a lot and spent some time with old friends and made some new ones.

This is an amazing event and many of the participants came a long way to share their passion.

The view out the hangar door is enough to take my breath away.

It is a beautiful airport with some remarkable people driving the event.

I enjoyed you company a lot too Glenn K and appreciate you sharing your excitement over your progress.

You have a lovely family Glenn and it was nice to meet them.

I didn’t spend time with anyone at the event that wasn’t time well spent.

Marion is always a treat and Britta was Britta.

Paul, Michael and Glenn continue to teach me about humor.

Doug is underappreciated and a remarkable individual.

I found many of the gyroplanes present inspirational.

Michael and Desmon were very busy and made a lot of people happy.

The Calidus that Michael built was a work of art and as always he was very funny.

The Ford C Max averaged 36 miles to the gallon on the 1853 mile trip at some elevated speeds. I slowed to 65 miles per hour and she was just short of 40 miles per gallon. She is no Prius but about on par with the Camry hybrid for comfort and mileage.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
Last year's ROTR was the first gyro event in the US I have been to. I enjoyed it immensely. The people, atmosphere and surroundings were great. This years's event seems to have grown considerable in attendance and gyroplanes present. I keep my fingers crossed that I can be at next year's ROTR again.

Greetings, -- Chris.