Rotors damaged, bystandard almost killed

RazorBlake

Aircraft
Mosquito XE
Total Flight Time
8000+
Here's a situation we all need to be aware of. I've been around flying rotors for many years and understand the danger of a moving rotor. Even a slow moving rotor can kill you if struck in the head. Today I finished a flight and had a man stop by to see my machine. He stated he had been around helicopters and airplanes for years. I asked him to be carefull because the rotors were still spinning. He stepped up to the machine next to the cockpit. We talked for several minutes, then I asked him to stay put while I manually slow the rotor and tie them down. He was standing next to the gyro, by the throttles which is a safe spot. After I reached up and began to slow the rotors, he decided to get out of the way by walking away from the gyro to the rear. Off course my blades were lower in the rear and before I could stop him the rotor struck the man in his back. He is doing fine now, but his back will be sore for days and could have cracked ribs. I'm certainly glad that he will not have permanent damage to himself, but my rotor blade is crumpled near the root.

Can anyone tell me what damage is created by this sudden stoppage to my rotor blade. I do have some some ripples near the root of the blade. Can the blade be repaired or will they need to be replaced?

Blake: First of all...thank God he wasnt hurt worse.

I never let anyone come within a rotor diameter while they are still spinning. People just sometimes act like a steer clubbed in the head.

I had a guy continually walk toward my RAF while the engine was running. The rotor was stopped. He was mesmerized by the prop and would not stop even with my arm waving. Of course I shut engine off. You just cant be too careful.

Just the other day I had to jump my battery on my SparrowHawk. My friend suggested he would take my jumpers off after it started. I said..."No you are not" Then I commented to him about how much damage his body would do to my new Ivoprop.

Stan

Stan said..."No you are not" Then I commented to him about how much damage his body would do to my new Ivoprop.

I am glad you have your priorities right Stan!!!

Aussie Paul. :)

This is a constant worry of mine.

Our craft are so uniqe people just want to walk right up.

I often have to ask, even other pilots, to remain clear of the gyro even if the blades are spinning slowly.

I put this information on my passinger check list. I find passingers so amazed by their first gyro flight they want to walk right out of the gyro while the blades are still spining.

I try to take a queue from the safty guys at Mentone and spin my blades down away from people, on the taxiway even if possible before taxiing into the tie-down or common places where there might be people.

Blake, I know your blades are pricey but I would replace them or at least the damaged one and send the good one back to SportCopter for matching to a new one.

I would also send my rotorhead in for inspection. IMHO.

Sorry to hear about your incident.

Past experiance I had owning a Towing Company, People get tunnel vision when something gets there attn. When I would Load a car People would always walk out into the road to watch, Even on the interstate. I had to constantly tell them to get out of the road, These cars are doing 70mph+ and they will hit you. So all gyro pilots, Realize that you have to be extra careful and think for other people cause past experiance has proven they will not think for themselves.

Sorry for your incidence. Bad timing and luck. All very good advice. Tunnel vision is about what they have. What gets me is he exited to the back of the gyro the lowest point . Was he trying to ge hurt?

Depending on how fast the blade was turning and if it stopped dead in it's tracks, I would also check the cheek plates and the mast for any twisting.

That guy just cost you 2000$ plus shipping. I would send him the bill since you asked him several times to stay put.

Holy Crap Blake! I saw you flying when I got to the airport, and even went looking for you later. I had no idea any of this happened. Sure sorry to hear about the blades, and the not so intelligent bystander. Hopefully, nothing more will come of it.

I'll be at the airport tomorrow if you need anything.

Rusty

i dont know the more i hear about these blades you guys fly on overthere the more worried i become, if they are wrecked after that, they should all be put out of service, crap if they didnt even cut him in half and they are bent that dont sound good to me,,,seriously,,,,,,,, hmmmmm any way

It seems to me anyone that survives a rotor strike that was hard enough to damage the blades is unbelieveably lucky. How about posting some pictures of the blades?

What Kind Of Blades?????????

What Kind Of Blades?????????

Here's a situation we all need to be aware of. I've been around flying rotors for many years and understand the danger of a moving rotor. Even a slow moving rotor can kill you if struck in the head. Today I finished a flight and had a man stop by to see my machine. He stated he had been around helicopters and airplanes for years. I asked him to be carefull because the rotors were still spinning. He stepped up to the machine next to the cockpit. We talked for several minutes, then I asked him to stay put while I manually slow the rotor and tie them down. He was standing next to the gyro, by the throttles which is a safe spot. After I reached up and began to slow the rotors, he decided to get out of the way by walking away from the gyro to the rear. Off course my blades were lower in the rear and before I could stop him the rotor struck the man in his back. He is doing fine now, but his back will be sore for days and could have cracked ribs. I'm certainly glad that he will not have permanent damage to himself, but my rotor blade is crumpled near the root.

Can anyone tell me what damage is created by this sudden stoppage to my rotor blade. I do have some some ripples near the root of the blade. Can the blade be repaired or will they need to be replaced?

Please tell us what kind of Blades you wrinkled at the root.
Yes,,,,Please post a digital photo,,,,,( more than one pic is better)
I have rebuilt over 15 sets of Bensen Blades back in the 80's and test flew every one I rebuilt,,,,I have a set right now that have been brought back from the damaged realm.........

Hey Blake,

If you have 8x25 Sport Rotors I can match your set. I happen to have a spare.

What was the estimated RPM when the retard stopped them?

You can PM me or e-mail me with your info.

Jon

New Photos

New Photos

Sorry I haven't been on the forum much and wanted to post pictures of the damaged blades. Let me know what you think about repairing this blade.

Blake

Attachments

• rotor1.jpg
    rotor1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
  • rotor2.jpg
    rotor2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rotor3.jpg
    rotor3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rotor4.jpg
    rotor4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • rotor5.jpg
    rotor5.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1
garbage.... sorry to say but that can't be fixed and still be airworthy.