Rotors damaged, bystandard almost killed

gyro

minigun man
Aircraft
Quicksilver Sport 2S, Quicksilver MX, Team Hi-max, Heath Parasol TG, AC gyro single & tandem
Total Flight Time
Make the backwacker guy buy you a new set. they are not worth repairing!

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

Hanger decoration. That's all they are good for now.:violin:

Screw-Out

Master Roda

The Jedi
There is no way a human stopped those blades with his back and did that kind of damage. At least not without serious injury, or death.

I build the damn things and I know what it takes to do that.

Was this guy wearing armor?

No doubt they were stopped suddenly.

EDIT:

I can see where it's possible. If the blades were flapping while they were spinning down it would put an additional strain on the system. BUT sheesh that had to hurt!

Last edited:

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
I saw it done once.

I saw it done once.

There is no way a human stopped those blades with his back and did that kind of damage. At least not without serious injury, or death.
I was thinking the same thing.

But I did see it done once......in a Monty Python skit.

Arthur: Now stand aside, worthy adversary.
Black Knight: 'Tis but a scratch.
Arthur: A SCRATCH? Your arm's off!
Black Knight: No it isn't!
Arthur: Well what's that then? (pointing to the arm lying on the ground)
Black Knight: I've had worse.
Arthur: You LIAR!
Black Knight: Come on, you pansy!

MrGrey

May i ask if the blades were spinning down and it you talked for a few min. to him i dont understand how the blades still had enough intertia to hit him and cause that damage. how did the damage occur there and not on the leading edge? Seems pretty close to the rotor head too. Hmm. Seems like Master Roda might have come on something in his post with possible blade flap. Kinda looks like symptoms of it. But i am no expert but I hope the guy is ok. and that we all learn something from this.
I was flying one day and apparently came too close to the hangars at the airport and some other guy was anything but happy. He was trying to flex his muscle and impress his friends that he is some kinda big shot and came running at me with blades spinning. I yelled as loud as I could with other than nice words to stop and he did. He had egg on his face now and was ticked off at me and after the blades stopped he gave me real talking too. I blew him off because I did nothing wrong in my eyes. My only mistake was to taxi towards the hangars with blades spinning for fast taxi. I always stop my blades now on the taxi way away from any chance meeting with people.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Usually the leading edge is a solid extrusion, and when stopped suddenly, it flexes to the rear and compresses the trailing edge, causing it to stretch and buckle, after the hit the leading edge may still be straight, but the trailing edge is all bungled.

RazorBlake

Aircraft
Mosquito XE
Total Flight Time
8000+
To answer your questions, I had just landed the gyro from a very short flight. It was very cold that morning and I decided to stay in the pattern for some short patterns. There was a guy inspecting the approach light system(PAPI) and watched me make several approaches. After I landed, I taxied to my hangar and shut down. The gyro was faced into the wind. About 5 minutes later the guy inspecting the lights drove up and began asking me about the gyro. The blades had slowed, but the wind was keeping them spinnning at a very low RPM, but enough that I was worried for the safety of the by-stander. That's when I reached up to slow the blades, the blade strike happened at this point. Maybe 15-25 RPM, its hard to say, but when the blade struck the by-stander it stopped immediately and there was absolutley no damage to the leading edge at the point of impact. I didn't notice the crumpling of the trailing edge until I started to tie down the blade using my blade cuff. The damage seem bazar to me also. Some have indicated that they don't believe my story, but I don't have any reason to make it up, and I would never do that anyway. It just happened and I can't explain the damage. I do know that my new blades will be coming soon and I'm ready to get airborne again. I NOW HAVE MY ROTORBRAKE INSTALLED!!! I intend to keep my blades braked unless I'm on a runway or taxiway. This won't happen to me again.

ahancock

Aircraft
Butterfly
Total Flight Time
1000+ tailgdragger, 15 gyro
Is that blade really toast if the leading edge is straight? There would be minimal lift from that area of the blade because it is so close to the hub.

Master Roda

The Jedi
Is that blade really toast if the leading edge is straight? There would be minimal lift from that area of the blade because it is so close to the hub.
Are you kidding???

Of course it's toast. Would you drive your car on flat tires?

Remember guys.... it's your life your flying on.

Fly only the best equipment you can find.

Jon

P.S. Be safe dammit!!!

gyro

minigun man
Aircraft
Quicksilver Sport 2S, Quicksilver MX, Team Hi-max, Heath Parasol TG, AC gyro single & tandem
Total Flight Time
For those of you who think this was some sort of blade flap cover up by a cooked up story...I suggest you look at the #5 pic real close!

just the minute folds on the trailing edge prove that the rotor stuck and object and the fact that the leading edge is not damaged lets you know that it struck something soft.

Inertia is what caused the blade to crumple near the hub (stick a piece of all steel or aluminum rod in a vise and push on the end and see where it bends).
I would tell you to use a piece of flat stock (blade simulation) but I doubt you can bend it with out a cheater bar.

Most of you guys know that even when your blades are turning at 5rpm they take some doings to get stop by hand. And if the stop instantly then somthing has to give such as the mast twisting,Cheak plates,rotor towers, and yes BLADES Do Not Underestimate The Power of Inertia!! or suffer your fellow rotorheads fate you will:p

Master Roda

The Jedi
It's not as simple as that.

Try a different demonstration where you dont have a vise. Instead you have a teeter point like the one on your machine. Then do the same simulation. You will find that the blade on the other side carries that INERTIA and transfers it to the blade being stopped.Yes, the mast suffers a little because it is the leverage point, but it does'nt absorb all of it. Instead, whatever is trying to stop the rotor is damaged considerably more.

Jon

gyro

minigun man
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I agree Jon, the other rotor transfers it's inertia as well, which contributes to even more damage to the impacting rotor. I also agree that the guy must have had some seriously thick clothing on or like you said "wearing armor" he is very lucky to not have broken bone!

I am only making this analysis from the photo, I do a lot of engineering and experiment with metals all the time and there is a pattern to what happened to metal when fatigue or stressed.

a lot of folks draw conclusions without really understanding the forces at work.

I want to make this statement before someone gets the wrong idea...I am in no way attacking anyone or the quality of your blades from what I see they look good I just what folks to understand that unseen forces such as inertia, can do some strange things.

For example: I was building an electric bb gun using two RC racing motors, basically it worked like the ball thrower at them batting cages. I had two motors spinning at 50k rpm and fitted to the shaft was a 2" aluminum disk containing a 1/4" thick rubber seal. This seal was so tight that it took two of us to stretch it on; it was also bonded with special rubber glue. well as we proceeded to power up the motor I could not believe my eyes this seal broke loose from the glue joint and turned itself into a 4" fly rubber ring, that’s right the rubber seal grew nearly twice its size and came off the disk......well back to the drawing board. If it had worked I would have been able to sling bbs at nearly 500fps using all electric.

Last edited:

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
Years ago, at the PRA convention, a guy with a VW gyro had the entire prop (2 bld wood) and hub come off. Unfortunately, they went right up and into the rotor. I believe they were Rotordyne blades. The blades impacted the prop near the prop hub just outboard of the rotor's hub bar. The inertial of the blade (s) bent the leading edge forward on the striking blade. This resulted in a horrible imbalance and the pilot had a wild ride to the ground.
His only injury, was a shoulder / neck area cut, from the shoulder harness.

Master Roda

The Jedi
For example: I was building an electric bb gun using two RC racing motors, basically it worked like the ball thrower at them batting cages. I had two motors spinning at 50k rpm and fitted to the shaft was a 2" aluminum disk containing a 1/4" thick rubber seal. This seal was so tight that it took two of us to stretch it on; it was also bonded with special rubber glue. well as we proceeded to power up the motor I could not believe my eyes this seal broke loose from the glue joint and turned itself into a 4" fly rubber ring, that’s right the rubber seal grew nearly twice its size and came off the disk......well back to the drawing board. If it had worked I would have been able to sling bbs at nearly 500fps using all electric.

Why didnt you try using solid rubber wheels? OR, Aluminum dipped in tool coating?

Jon