Rotordyne

mrmean99

It has been many years since I attended a PRA fly-in. My dad was Steve Phaneuf. He used to own Rotordyne in Southern California. I used to help him make rotor blades after school. Now I live in Ohio. I would like to attend a fly-in there used to be one in Rockford Illinois. Just before the EAAfly-in. Do you still do this?

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18 / Aviomania G2sA-2
Total Flight Time
550+
Howdy.
See this link: PRA Convention
August 3-6 in Mentone, Indiana.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Geoffrey: If Steve was your dad, who was Bud P.?
I remember hearing something about how the Phaneuf brother made the Rotordynes...

Do you know if your dad was involved w/ producing the Rotordyne gyroplane?

mrmean99

Howdy.
See this link: PRA Convention
August 3-6 in Mentone, Indiana.

I remember hearing something about how the Phaneuf brother made the Rotordynes...

Bud was my uncle he and my dad opened rotordyne. Making a set of rotordyne blades was a two man operation. Uncle Bud and I made many blades until until I joined the army in 1979 we all were involved. Sorry the pic is sideways. Bud is the one in the blue t shirt. Unfortunately my Dad took I'll and had to sell Rotordyne before I got out off the army. I was heartbroken.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20210505_231127(1).jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20210505_231127(1).jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13

mrmean99

Bud was my uncle he and my dad opened rotordyne. Making a set of rotordyne blades was a two man operation. Uncle Bud and I made many blades until until I joined the army in 1979 we all were involved. Sorry the pic is sideways. Bud is the one in the blue t shirt. Unfortunately my Dad took I'll and had to sell Rotordyne before I got out off the army. I was heartbroken.
I am planning to attend the convention. I will look for you

mrmean99

I see you are in Oregon so you probably are not going to the convention in Mentone. I don't know if you can reach John Bond. He lived in Oregon. However I have not spoken to him in many years. I know he had a Volkswagen powered ship that was outstanding it was a 2100 revmaster engine much more powerful than a 1835. Perhaps you an look him up.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
I see you are in Oregon so you probably are not going to the convention in Mentone. I don't know if you can reach John Bond. He lived in Oregon. However I have not spoken to him in many years. I know he had a Volkswagen powered ship that was outstanding it was a 2100 revmaster engine much more powerful than a 1835. Perhaps you an look him up.
Have "partially" relocated to AZ. For now, a "rain-bird". You've heard of snow-birds...

Haven't heard of John Bond other than he made a gyro called by his name. Don't know more other than there may have been more than one produced.

Aerofoam

Aircraft
Pteradactyl, AC 447/503, too many UAVs
Total Flight Time
Over 3k....(From the ground !)
Where in Az?

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Northern-central, some 27 miles north of Prescott, in the Chino Valley Wash drainage, @ 4,500'. Off Hwy. 89. Two small, private airstrips in the valley. It's 2 hrs. south to Phoenix & the same north to the Grand Canyon.

Did you once say you're in the Tucson area?

Aerofoam

Aircraft
Pteradactyl, AC 447/503, too many UAVs
Total Flight Time
Over 3k....(From the ground !)
Northern-central, some 27 miles north of Prescott, in the Chino Valley Wash drainage, @ 4,500'. Off Hwy. 89. Two small, private airstrips in the valley. It's 2 hrs. south to Phoenix & the same north to the Grand Canyon.

Did you once say you're in the Tucson area?

Yes, SW out near Kitt Peak.
I have been in Az most my life and I am not familiar with your area. Is this heading towards Jerome, or Cottonwood?
I am about 15 miles SW of Ryan Field (RYN).

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
West of J. & CW. about 60 miles, over a mtn. range. 25 miles S. of Ash Fork on I-40.

I went to the Coolidge airport for the AZ gyro Chapter #15 mtg. in March.
Took me 3-1/2 hrs. to get there, mostly on freeways. AZ is a big state!

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
West of J. & CW. about 60 miles, over a mtn. range. 25 miles S. of Ash Fork on I-40.

I went to the Coolidge airport for the AZ gyro Chapter #15 mtg. in March.
Took me 3-1/2 hrs. to get there, mostly on freeways. AZ is a big state!
Hey Kevin, I married my first wife in Prescott, 1963, also deer hunting in the area, driven over Mingus Mt to Jerome several times.