Rotor Heads ie. Choppy, AW95 and Rotorway

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
OK, so the bearings in the early Rotorway and the Choppy were 5300 series bearings. I bit of overkill and in the AW95 a lighter use 5200 series bearing.

The BIGGEST problem I can see with these early designs was that one side of the bearing was uncovered, so the grease would sling out in a short period of time and then the bearing would overheat and start tearing itself up. They would have to be changed often.

I am wondeing for a small light weight (ultralight) helicopter if I was to devise a way for the bearing cavity to be full of oil, no leaking so there is no air in contact with the bearings at all. They would be totally lubricated all the time, would that extend the life of the 5200/5300 bearings to say 50+ hours or more?

Opinions would greatly be appreciated, ideas and advice also.

David

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II, flown C150s, PA-140s, PA-18, R-22. R-44, 1 hour in P51C
Total Flight Time
Both those bearings are available in double-sealed, i.e 5200-2RS and 5300-2RS.

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
Yes, that is true and I am aware of that. Still several experts say that grease leaves air pockets and in the current design gets slung out during initial runs in this head design

That is why I am wondering if sealing the cone and filling with oil will establish a longer life for the bearings.

David