Rotor blades - Airworthiness Directive - Celier - Trendak - Argo

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Doug, you’re the expert but wouldn’t those manufacturing inconsistencies result in 1/rev vibrations, much like out of balance, out of pattern or out of track?

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
You'd think so, Chuck. It's so long ago I don't recall the mix of vibes, only that there was more overall vibration with this second set than with my original set. I did chase the adjustments available to minimize 1/rev: tracking and chordwise movement of the whole rotor via the threaded teeter barrel. The fact that the blades had a "handmade" look does make me wonder about what other aspects may have varied from set to set -- stiffness, mass and even actual teeter height. Some of those items could create a 2/rev, though not one derived from in-plane flexing, just from incorrect teeter height.

The person I bought them from, a good honest gyro guy, said he could never get them really smooth. He therefore gave me a nice price. I had fair warning, and no reason to be dissatisfied.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Thanks, Doug; like you, it’s been so long ago that my limited exposure to Skywheels is a fading memory.

I finally learned, mainly from watching “Birth of the Bell Helicopter” on the Discovery Channel that 2/rev rotor vibration was a Bensen legacy; a result of necking the rotor down to 2.5 inches at the hub and the use of a square mast tube.