Rotor Blade Transportation

Shadow

I have an idea for transporting rotor blades without disassembly. One of the major reasons for taking the blades apart is because to transport them in one piece would leave them unsupported and permit them to flop, possibly fatiguing the material. The major reason for transporting them in one piece is to prevent the reassembly and restringing, reflinging or whatever other procedure is necessary to balance the blades. If they could be transported and supported in one piece, it would be possible to eliminate both problems and make assembly of the gyro at the destination much faster and probably more satisfactory.

One of the problems of making a one piece case for the blades is the fact that they are bent in the middle at the hubbar. This would necessitate a two piece case that would cover each end of the blades and bent in the middle.

What if someone was to take a 2 pieces of 8,9 or 10 inch PVC, the kind used in A/C ducts, pad them on the inside to prevent scratching and cradled to provide support in transit. Slide a section of PVC over each end of the blades and join them over the center of the hubbar with some kind of a union.

For transport this case could be laid/supported partially in the trailer and the forward section could hang over the towing vehicle.

I invite someone, anyone, everyone to play devil’s advocate and poke holes in this idea.

How I do it...

How I do it...

If you look in the for sale section under Drive it home! by darrellwittke you will see pictures of how I carry my blades in one peice. I think it is the only way to go.

I started out with the idea of having a regular trailer and greatly extending the tongue, with a schedule 80 pipe like you mention. I eventually dreamed up the pick up carrying method because of worries about rock damage over gravel roads.

I think you have a good idea and do not see any problems, I know the pvc pipe thing has been done by someone but forget who. Good luck

Brent Brown uses a rack on his truck simular to a ladder rack you might see on a handymans truck. He hauls his blades on it, all put together. Maybe he could post a pic of his rig?