Rotex 503 VS MZ 202 engine

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
I am thinking about getting the MZ 202 because the engine is smaller and also has about 10 more hp. But my question is which one has been proven in the GYROS since I do have to worry about the 254 weight until I get my Sport Lic. I think the extra HP would be a plus.

Also what type of prop. 3 blade or single? I like the 3 blade better than a single. More push!

wanting everyones 2 cents please!

Last edited:
Rocky would be a good person to talk to about the Mz202 engine. I have not heard any negative comments on the engine. I would like the hear about the 303, but I don't know of any being used. I know of seveal 503's and everyone that has them are happy with them for a 503 but would like to have the 582 instead.

Chris, the 503 is bullet proof, the MZ 202 is strong, but I am not sure how reliable the engine would be long term. I think the MZ 202 with a gearbox ( stay away from belt reduction ) may be a good engine, but the problem is there are not many using this engine and not alot of history with this engine, where the Rotax 503 has been around for over 20 years and there are thousands of them flying out there and it has been proven to be a good engine. Me personally I would pick the 503 over the MZ unless the MZ was priced SIGNIFICANTLY less.

As for props, I would suggest a 2 blade warp drive as my top choice, followed by a 3 blade powerfin or Ivo prop. And more blades does not equal more push, it is the reverse as it takes more HP to turn 3 blades through the air than 2, and you will have more push with the least amount of blades you can get by with.

Also, my experience with the MZ202, is even though they are rated on paper for more HP than the 503 Rotax, the real world power output is about the same.

I had a 503 on my first gyro, and now have MZ202’s on both my gyro (GyroBee with 28hrs) and helicopter (Mosquito with 26hrs). The 503 was bullet proof, but the MZ202 has much more power.

What I have found is that while the MZ202 delivers more power, it is more sensitive to the auxiliaries around the engine, in particular the fuel and electrical systems.

On a Gyrobee where the fuel tank is much lower than the carbs, a dual Mikuni pump cannot deliver enough fuel to a MZ202 at full throttle. It took an engine out landing to find this out.

A 503 can start and run without a battery, on a MZ202 the battery is an essential item and needs to be looked after. The big plus, however, is that the engine starts and runs like a dream.

Go for the gearbox, the built in clutch is great!

If I had to choose again I’d go for the 202.

Well I like the looks of the 503 rotex on the pic's but the engine is priced a lot higher than the MZ 202. Yes I don't want anything to do with the belt drive red. That to me is nothing but 1 more thing to have to think about.
not sure what is needed to fit on my Starbee

The MZ202 weighs a mere (82 lbs) including muffler and gear box complete with electric starter, wiring harness and exahust system 60 HP @ 5800RPM
$5,560.00 USD

The Rotex
Rewind starter 49.6 HP @ 6500
OPTIONS:
Muffler, Electric Start Kit, Reduction Box: ?
$5,482.00 USD

Chris,

Ive tried to answer your private message to me several times but it says you aren't acceptimg private messages or you are not allowed to receive them ??????

What's your e-mail address?

Barry

The MZ202 is the why to go, I flew one for about 70 hours without trouble.

I agree, the MZ seems like a nice engine.... But who out there has a few hundred hours of trouble free operation on one?

the engine on Ultracruisers old gyrobee had over 800 hours ( possibly close to 1000 hours by the time he sold it) without any problems and without even a overhaul or rebuild.

A Rotax 503 is just hard to beat if it will have enough power for your application. Parts and service are readily availble, strong resale value, and known reputation.

On paper the MZ seems like a No brainer, and a better purchase. But that is also what the poor suckers who buy Hirth engines also thought, and you can easily research how crappy Hirth engines end up being.... The MZ might be a good engine, able to make 300+ hours without problems, but in my opinion, it is somewhat of a gamble, as I know no one that has a MZ and has anywhere close to that many hours. The Rotax is far FAR less of a gamble.

Well I have heard that people are having problems getting the 503's. Still have not made up my mind yet.
Hey by the way which gear box do you use?
#1319 2.58 B Gearbox
#1337 2.24 B Gearbox
#1355 2.00 B Gearbox
#1371 2.62 C Gearbox
#1373 3.00 C Gearbox
#1375 3.47 C Gearbox
#1377 4.00 C Gearbox
#1379 2.62 E Gearbox
#1381 3.00 E Gearbox
#1383 3.47 E Gearbox
#1385 4.00 E Gearbox

Last edited:
You use the gearbox that best suits your needs. The " B " type gearbox would be fine, but the " C " box is more rugged and better suited for further mods such as a clutch install or hydro pre rotator. The " E " box is the same as a " C " box but has electric starter built in for cranking up the engine in lieu of a pull starter or added on electric starter. Most people that buy the 503 end up with a B box.

As far as ratios go, the 2.00 to 1 would be good, but any of the ratios would be fine. Most use the 2.58 to 1 in the B box.

As far as gear box ratios go it depends on the size of the prop. You want to spin a large prop slower.

Thanks for all the input Gyro Ron. you don't know unless you ask the pro's.

I am thinking about getting the MZ 202 because the engine is smaller and also has about 10 more hp. But my question is which one has been proven in the GYROS since I do have to worry about the 254 weight until I get my Sport Lic. I think the extra HP would be a plus.

Also what type of prop. 3 blade or single? I like the 3 blade better than a single. More push!

wanting everyones 2 cents please!
What Spark plugs are you guys running in the MZ202 ?

Sorry this old thread has brought to mind Chris ( Dirty Dog) who I met at Bensen days, corresponded with as we built our gyros together, and sadly passed in an accident we never understood.

Rest well Chris.