Rotax reman

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
I'm getting my 582 blue head reman soon. The bing carburetors looks like I can do myself with the cheap rebuild kits. Does that sound correct? I'm going to send my blue head to Mississippi for the tear down and rebuild. Does the gearbox usually also need an overhaul if not used for a few years? It has been stored with oil and looks good. It is and e box. I appreciate any videos or other references that I can get my hands on in reference to the 582.

It depends on why your 582 needs a rebuild, if you have put 600 hours on it then I would send the box for an inspection, if it had a failure with low hours then the box should be ok and the only thing to look for is the condition of the rubber coupling. If you pulled the prop over a few times every month while it was sitting then there should be no rust on the gears or bearings.

Norm

It's low hours. No damage or stoppage. Just has been sitting up waiting to put it on something. I've been told to have it tore down to check for rust and pitting from sitting. Fogged it once years ago. That's why I was gonna have the tear down.

If it was mine and it feels smooth when slowly pulled over with the plugs out I would remove the carbs and exhaust, I would look in through the ports at the crank and cylinders, if it looked good I would clean the carbs and tie it to anything solid, I would run it for at least an hour at different throttle settings including wide open for three minuits and if you aim a laser type thermometer at the crankcase where the bearings they all should close to the same temp, if the back one near the box is hotter you have rust and it will need a rebuild.

Norm