ROR

rickloon

Aircraft
soma gyro ,aurora butterfly
I have not seen anything about the Rotors over the Rockeys fly in yet . Is it still on for ths year?
Rick

What are the specific dates? Also have concerns with the format and general layout. Would like to attend but want to keep some separation from Pegasus Aviation.

OUCH! ....."keep some separation from Pegasus Aviation." ....that begs a Question ... but obviously not good to discuss on open forum! ...Sorry to hear ... those guys seem to be meticulous about their product & do well!
That pre-condition would be difficult ...as they PegAvn have been (in past years) the event site hosts & close to the daily operations!
As we have heard very little official notice from the Utah Rotorcraft Association ( Doug Barker) or anyone else out there ...I expect it may fizzle out this year! Last year we expected it to become an informal gathering of die-hard friends! But with the normal weekend of June 6-8 time slot fast approaching & no mention at all! ...I expect it's a goner!

Greetings, All!

I've been away from the forum for quite a while, and Doug has a new job with demanding hours, after a false start with a different job. It's a 90-minute drive to Nephi for me from my home, and two hours for Doug, so URA, Inc and Chapter 2 have been neglected children as of late.

Doug and I both have the week off, and ROTR is a go. It may be a small gathering this year, but we'll be there to welcome anyone who wants to come and fly. It's Tuesday - Saturday, June 4th - 8th. Self-contained/dry camping is available on the airport as in the past, and the city is again clearing out its big hangar to make room for gyros. Motel 6 in Nephi is the recommended motel, and it's one of the nicer ones in that chain.

Pegasus Aviation is relocating to Peta Luma Airport in California as we speak, and the new owner of the FBO business in Nephi takes over June 1, so we'll get to meet him at ROTR. I don't know his name, and having had no contact, I'm making arrangements to move to a new hangar up the road in Spanish Fork. The week of ROTR, I'd like to trailer the machine back to Nephi to park it in the event hangar and finish a few small repairs, but it won't be flying the week of the event.

We've been getting waves of rainstorms and mountain snow, and the Mt. Nebo Scenic Loop east of the airport, which goes as high as 11,500' MSL, is expected to finally be clear of snow and ready to open June 10. Things have been warm, if wet, at the airport, but we often see a magical change to drier weather after Memorial Day weekend. Everything is green and beautiful beneath the snow-capped mountains. The Mona Lake Reservoir, which makes a convenient landmark flying into the airport from the north, has refilled after drying up last year.

We haven't planned a banquet or awards this year, but we'll certainly get together for group meals, and the hangar flying is always fun. We look forward to seeing the folks who love to fly the unique scenery around Nephi!

Paul

Last edited:
Great news Paul ... SO glad to hear ROTR is on again this year ...one of my favorite events!
Sadly due to TAG rotor grounding & other life-stuff on my plate this year my Gyro-events attendances will be limited to Mentone & hoping for Anahuac!

I would love to be able to go up for ROTR this year, but we're short on people at work and others are already on vacation for that time. Hoping to go up next year once we have more people trained in the field.

Gotcha, Terry. We'll see whether Nephi remains the best option after we meet the new FBO owner, and see if the personality of the airport changes.

I expect to finally be retired by June of next year, so there will be less to get in the way.

With luck, my gyro will be completed by end of this year, and flight lessons will happen next year. It's been a long process so far, but I'm enjoying the experience.

OUCH! ....."keep some separation from Pegasus Aviation." ....that begs a Question ... but obviously not good to discuss on open forum! ...Sorry to hear ... those guys seem to be meticulous about their product & do well!
That pre-condition would be difficult ...as they PegAvn have been (in past years) the event site hosts & close to the daily operations!
As we have heard very little official notice from the Utah Rotorcraft Association ( Doug Barker) or anyone else out there ...I expect it may fizzle out this year! Last year we expected it to become an informal gathering of die-hard friends! But with the normal weekend of June 6-8 time slot fast approaching & no mention at all! ...I expect it's a goner!
To be more clear and fair you're very on with product quality and build, innovative design update and so on. And you're correct about the rest is not a forum issue. Just wanted more information to make my own attendance decisions. I live 2-1/2 hours south of Nephi. A lot of changes in the Utah gyro environment have been hard on it's progress and enthusiasm.