Rocket On Rotor (1955) Helicopter Rocket Rotor Blade Tips

okikuma

Juergen,

I've mentioned in previous post, my friend Hal Knowles a retired USMC Aviator (ONE SIX RIGHT fame) told me this story when we was stationed at Naval Air Station Patuxent River during the late 1950s. The USMC was experimenting installing H2O2 rockets on the tips of their H-19 helicopter rotor blades to help assist heavy loaded helicopters to take off (without performing running takeoffs) and to assist in the flair of heavy loaded H-19s in autorotations. Hal said the experiments worked very well, however the increased maintenance and hazardous material issues offset the gain in performance.

Wayne

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259&page=15

kolibri282

Thanks for the link to the 2011 tip jet thread, Wayne. I was not aware that the film had been posted before otherwise I would have posted the flight global article to this thread (I hate if information is scattered all over the place..;-) I don't read the engine section of the rotaryforum since I am currently planning to start with a gyro glider testbed, probably a large scale model, so no engine needed.

Last edited: