automan1223

Banned
Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
Effort.

Effort.

John, Work is a 4 letter word !

That stinks. Seems like too much effort to just camp out for one night. Whew ! :wacko:

Jonathan

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

Your right. I'm still looking forward to it, and I bet we all have fun. Besides, I hear that kids eventually grow up and move out. This gives me something to look forward too.

Screw-Out

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Jonathan,

Are you coming to ROC ???
Pleasy, Pleasy!

automan1223

Banned
Aircraft
2p Tandem Air Command "Big Red"
Total Flight Time
Pick a number...

Pick a number...

John, Thats a weird way to look at life. I am a young man by most accounts yet I find that the last 18 years has blown by 100xs faster than the first 18... Time takes on an acceleration curve the older you get. Somehow I dont wish it to go any faster than it already is. I just meant that if you could take friday and saturday that would be the way to go. I know economic reality rules all.

Barry, I hope to be there. Had I said I was going : 1 the whirling low that has pounded the eastern NC here for the last 3 days would have been a hurricane. 2. A major event would have occured to cause something to alter my plans. NOW I am not saying I am going, but I did change the oil in my truck along with a noisy axle bearing and shaft assy. Rumor has it I am finishing up wiring to have lights on my gyro for some night flight.. but its just a rumor. I can not confirm or deny I am going. :spy:

Jonathan

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
John but sometimes the kids move back in!!

But hey it is good to get to know your kids as adults.

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

John but sometimes the kids move back in!!

But hey it is good to get to know your kids as adults.

Well if they move back in.....That's just more help I'll have when I get as old as Steve.:censored:

Screw-Out

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Move back in nothin'!!!

I want my kids to have the best education so they can get rich and buy big houses so I can move in with them and eat their food and mess up their bathrooms!!!!!!!

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Well, I am here sitting in Steve McGowans luxury home on wheels......

So far, Rusy Nance.... Tim Verroi.... Steve.... Dan Macalister.... and my self here with gyros. Several others here without.

Showers are operational, porta pottys already put to good use, and great warm weather!

Going to go flying now. See you turkeys later!:rapture:

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Cool deal, what kind of Gyro does Dan have now? Mike driggers aka Mad Dog should be there soon he left out this morning with his Mosquito helicopter.
I will be there friday afternoon.

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
I've been working like a dog, a MaD DoG, and the Mosquito is finally ready to fly. We have done the mods and as you can see converted it to skid gear. The seat has been moved rearward 7 inches for a heavier pilot and we have a new set of RotorDyne blades. We should be there Wednesday at about 4:00 pm. Rain or shine.....see you then.
Mike Driggers

HI MIke;

You got my testosterone flowin' again. If you don't mind...how many dinars...converted to USD...do you have invested in that beauty?!

Cheers :)

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Harry, Mike is a friend of mine, he is on his way to ROC now. when I get to ROC I plan to take lots of pics and hopefully some video of mikes machine. I will post them when I get back.

MaD Dog

Flapping Member
Aircraft
PropCopter...Shoffman Co-Ax
Total Flight Time
400 hrs on Gyro
Harry, I don't wanna make you cry ...but

Harry, I don't wanna make you cry ...but

We actually bought it from a friend who didn't finish it and we only gave $12,500 for it. We were very blessed. That's called highway robbery. I don't think we could ever find another deal like that. He originally offered it to us for $10,000, but he thought about it for a few minutes and jumped to 12,500. It didn't take us long to decide (about 2 seconds ) to take it. Wouldn't you? By the way, I'm here now at ROC and plan to fire her up tomorrow and try it out. Talk to you later, Mike D.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Good Deal mike. glad you made it ok. I have not heard from Parker yet.

Mike are you going to fly it your self? or do you have someone there to fly it.
looking forward to seeing it up close.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Hey!, let's get Ron to fly it !

He'd probably love to give it a go ! Right Ron ?

MaD Dog

Flapping Member
Aircraft
PropCopter...Shoffman Co-Ax
Total Flight Time
400 hrs on Gyro
Well, maybe...I'm willing....

Well, maybe...I'm willing....

Hey Animal, I'm still learning. Paul Grieshaber is coming with the trainer- simulator and I need a little more practice, but I'm willing to give it a try. I just don't want to break anything...yet. But I'm just about there. I believe I could get off the ground just for a few seconds without breaking anything. So that's what I'm going to try in the next couple days. Believe me...I got the want to...but I need the how to.....you know what I'm saying?? But come on down and watch me make a spectacle of myself. But Paul and Dwight are gonna fly it, so it will get some air time, at least. I've got it running good and all the modifications are done, so she's ready.
See you Friday, Mike D.

jcmagnan

ROC on Wednesday, October 11th

ROC on Wednesday, October 11th

Just got back from ROC for today (Wednesday, October 11th).

I had a good, long conversation with the new owner of the Aiken Aviation FBO -- Mike Laver. He and I got along well -- we both know some of the same airplane people. For example, a fellow in EAA 172 (Pea Patch -- near Augusta, Georgia) -- Earl Hildebrant -- built a plane for Mike using a Jabiru engine which Mike said he introduced to this country. Mike has been at the Pea Patch a number of times. I might have met him but don't remember. I'm also in EAA 172 and their secretary and Webmaster. Mike said that he bought Air First (in that fancy building right next to the ROC spot) and also the FBO with all the hangars, offices etc. This happened when Zipper Robbins retired this year. Zipper and Mike were partners and Zipper sold his part of the partnership to Mike when Zipper retired. For those who haven't been to the Aiken, SC, airport, here's a photo of Air First on its Website: http://www.air1st.com/aboutus.php

Mike said he has watched ROC throughout the years --- his office was the one on the second floor closest to our fly-in site. He said he wants to have all aircraft from gyrocopters to the big ones at the airport. He enjoys watching all of them fly. Mike said if we need any help, his people at the FBO are waiting and eager to help us in any way. For example, he sent his fuel truck over (with AVgas 100LL) to see if anyone needed any. The linemen in the truck said that if we needed some either go to the FBO and bring a fuel container or they can send a truck to us.

Yesterday Michael O'Brien, from Paxton, MA, came in. He is a friend of Dana and Laura Linn.

Now to ROC -- Yesterday, Tuesday, was not too active. Steve McGowan flew and Dan McAllister came in. Here's a photo of Dan with his home made gyro which he said he is selling for five or six thousand. It comes with blades but needs rewiring (he had some problems with the electric prerotator, I believe).
http://jcmservices.net/McAllister101106.jpg

Ron Awad came twice -- once with his gyro, then with another trailer. Rusty Nance came in today (Wednesday). Here's a photo of Steve McGowan, Ron Awad, and Rusty Nance having some "serious" conversation, I guess. http://jcmservices.net/McGowanAwadNance101106.jpg

Bud O'Neal is in from his new home in Ider, Alabama, near Chatanooga, Tennessee. Here's a photo of Bud with Steve McGowan. At the left is Rhonda and Hannah who came in with him. http://jcmservices.net/Bud&McGowan101106.jpg

John Sligar flew in today from the Pea Patch in his Rans S14.

Mike Driggers came in with his Mosquito Air (shown somewhere earlier in this thread).

Around 7:00 PM Ernie and Connie Boyette came in but since it was getting dark Ernie just parked in his spot.

Phil Degelia also came in and may have done some flying -- he was too far away from me when I saw two gyros in the air, one was Tim Verroi's -- I was at the main ROC entrance putting up flag banners. Phil is from Norfolk, Virginia.

Louis Hartzler, from PRA Chapter 56 -- Rome, Georgia, came in. He has his "famous" red-tailed gyro. But he, Rusty Nance, Michael O'Brien, and Steve McGowan left for a couple of hours to go to Rusty's house in Pelion, SC, to look at the Air Command that Rusty has for sale. Word is that Louis bought it.

Also coming in today was Tim Verroi who flew more than anybody. Here's a photo of Tim -- note the blue sky and puffy clouds. http://jcmservices.net/VerroiInAir101106.jpg

The weather was great, not too warm, only got up to 84 degrees. We may have some rain tonight as a front comes through, but then the weather is expected to be in the 70s during the day throughout the weekend. However it may be cold at night especially Friday night -- in the 40s!

George Hammack was at ROC helping put up tents etc. Dan McAllister also spent a lot of time helping us put up the tents. The last two days were too windy to put up the tents or the covering around the shower. Of course Ray Pierce was here much of the day working on some of the final wiring of the last camping spots. Note that many of the spots are taken and only a few are left. Those who reserved early perhaps got the best spots.
See: http://jcmservices.net/ROC2006CampingLocation.pdf

An add-on to the above post. Tim Verroi asked me to let his wife, Teresa, know that he got into ROC OK and he's all set up and doing fine and he loves her very much. He also said he is having a wild time partying --- no, that last sentence is a joke -- he isn't having a wild time but is pining away for Teresa.

John

Last edited:

Fragmaster

Aircraft
Airframes Unlimited T-2 Powererd Parachute
Just got back from ROC for today (Wednesday, October 11th).
Yesterday, Tuesday, was not too active. Steve McGowan flew and Dan McAllister came in. Here's a photo of Dan with his home made gyro which he said he is selling for five or six thousand. It comes with blades but needs rewiring (he had some problems with the electric prerotator, I believe).
http://jcmservices.net/McAllister101106.jpg

John,

Thanks for the update and very nice pics, would it be possible to encourage those selling there to post here? I know I have a smaller budget then I had hoped, but I am still looking. Besides I would really like to see more shots of Dans machine, it looks very interesting to me. I only wish I could have gotten the time off to come to ROC.

jcmagnan

Dan McAllister's gyro

Dan McAllister's gyro

John,

Thanks for the update and very nice pics, would it be possible to encourage those selling there to post here? I know I have a smaller budget then I had hoped, but I am still looking. Besides I would really like to see more shots of Dans machine, it looks very interesting to me. I only wish I could have gotten the time off to come to ROC.

Tom (Barber),
I'll take some more pictures of that gyro tomorrow (actually today, Thursday) -- and also more information on it. If there is more you want to know about it, please e-mail me since I've got to sleep a bit and wake up in 3-4 hours and I'll only have time to look at e-mail before heading to ROC.
[email protected]

John

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Hey Animal, I'm still learning. Paul Grieshaber is coming with the trainer- simulator and I need a little more practice, but I'm willing to give it a try. I just don't want to break anything...yet. See you Friday, Mike D.

Don't break anything before I get there. I am bringing the video camera. and he digital camera. of course the key is not to break it period. I should be there sometime around noon tomorrow. I have everything in the shop ready to load except the food stuff. so this evening I plan to load the car up. so all I have to do in morning is load the food and roll on down the Road.

hope all are haveing a fun safe time so far.