Rick Martins new toy

Are you flying it to Wrens? With that big seat tank you can fly a while no stop. :)

25 foot rotor? Geez I figured 23s would be fine on it by the looks of it. 23s work well on mine.

My machine is a lot heavier than yours Grant (a lot more reinforcing, heavy motorcycle shocks etc., etc). And with my fat gut in the seat I have an AUW of 710 lbs. If you do the math, Ernie is right about the 25's. I flew 23's on my Gyrobee just fine turning about 330. But the 24's I'm using now are running around 360 (or an easy 400 if I load them up).

I get off the ground pretty good. Landings are faster than I like. And I'm still chasing the rotor shake which is 2 per rev and proportional to RRPM. I've static ballanced them, gotten the tracking real close, shimmed the block/bar to center it in the towers, strung 'em & slung 'em.

If I'm lucky, my hangar mate will let me fly his set of 25's and get the answers I need. I won't be happy until I get them at least as smooth as my old blades.

Hello Rick,
Have you heard anything about that guy who "might" have 23s for sale?

Gil,
That would be Trez, who hangars with us. I did speak to him about it, but I believe he said he wasn't ready to part with them yet. He's currently flying a set of 24's and I believe he likes them better. So I'll ask him again when I see him, which should be this weekend.

Gil,

Just happened to see yours and Rick's posts.
I do have a set of 23s that I'm hanging on to, but Jake asked for me to make them available to him, if I should decide to sell them. So, sorry, not available.

Trez

Well Its about time you got that Bad Rotorscooter back in the Air. It looks great!! Now go and chase some Cows. (just kidding)

I'm back to geting in my 3 to 5 flights per weekend now. And although I'm still chasing some rotor shake (it's getting better) I'm really starting to appreciate the machine's handling. You know...................it's kind of an ah................!

Jake must have gotten the geometry right, and I must have gotten the size and angle of attack of the H-stab right (with a little help from Doug). Because its really feeling very comfortable now. I can't even think of one negative handling characteristic. There is no pitching with power changes. The stick ratio feels very good (responsive but smooth). Since I slowed my rudder down a bit I'm finding it is responding more predictably. Ground handling is wonderful. The brakes are plenty strong. Pre-rotation is more than adequate (220-250) and getting smoother. The rotor brake (fixed puck) is working great. The control system is super smooth (all pivot points have ball bearings). I'm very happy with the shocks etc.

All in all, it's just turned out to be a great machine. Just what I was looking for in a machine to keep for a long time. No wonder you're getting more orders. Thanks Jake!

Rick- I am happy for you having everything so nice on your new machine. Jake is a good man and I hope he can't keep up with new orders. I never will forget coming to my first Bensen Days. I was drawn to your workmanship on your yellow/green gyro. I took all kinds of close up pictures of it even though I wasn't building one. I was taking pictures of quality work that showed patience and care, a prime ingredient for any aircraft in my opinion. Can't wait to see it again in its new brilliant colors at Bensen Days 2011. Stan

Rick I am glad you like your machine that much. It must be a thrill to be back in the air again and I am sure you'll work the little kinks out of it soon. That 582 Blue head must be a nice power change from the 447 :) Glad you are enjoying your machine. Now we need some pictures so we all can believe you !!! :)

Thank you Rick.
I myself do not like a pitch sensitive gyro. Over the years I've learned to design the gyro to be pretty predictable in flight. Geometry and displacement of weight are the main features of my design.

The front end is another attribute to ground handling, sensitive enough to turn on demand and yet not shimmy at high speeds. The shock is also a good feature, not just a spring but has an actual dampen effect so not to be a Pogo stick on hard landings. Front ends with no shock,either ridgid or just a spring could damage your keel or bounce like a super ball, wich can lead to a rollover or a bent keel.

Any way, Thank you for revealing the good aspects of my designs. If there is anything negitive I would also like to get this input for future builds.My ATTITUDE doesn't count :)

Stan,
Thanks for the kind words.
Not being able to keep up with orders would be a very bad thing if I was to endeavor gyros as a business. For now it's just fun and will build for anyone. Maybe the future will hold a full time gyro shop for me. Ya'll will be the first to know.

Thanks ALL------JAKE