RFD Eagle XG?

13brv3

Gold Member
Greetings,

I ran across this video of an enclosed gyro from RFD called the Eagle XG. I've never heard about it, so I'm assuming they must not have produced them? Pity since it would be almost exactly what I'd like to have.

Cheers,
Rusty

I Remember talking to Ernie about the Eagle. It used a mosquito helicopter cabin and he said it was very tight inside. Never made it to production.

I thought that cabin looked awfully well finished for a prototype. I'll have to remember that when I see the occasional single place heli projects for sale. I wonder if there were any flight issues?

Thanks,
Rusty

I thought that cabin looked awfully well finished for a prototype. I'll have to remember that when I see the occasional single place heli projects for sale. I wonder if there were any flight issues?

Thanks,
Rusty
No flight issues. It was just too small for a Normal male. It flew very well with a 618 on it. The body was made by mosquito specifically for
Gyro use. It was not a helicopter pod. The one thing that happened was the gas made the fiberglass fuel tank melt. Dad had to put a standard seat tank in it which further reduced the head room. It also had some blind spots in it. In addition the windshield wasn’t optically perfect and messed with my sight. It has a strong prerotator on it and got off the ground in a very short distance. Overall it’s a good flying single place. This came out at the same time the euro tubs came out and people didn’t seem interested so the production project was abandoned.

We have one in our hanger in Greencastle Indiana, stop in to look at it on your way to Mentone this summer.

Well he is retired so I don’t see that happening. What questions can I answer for you? Btw his name is Ernie.