Reworking the Tail / HS & VS

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Well after being out in the sun fo a whild I started getting blister/ bubbles popping up on the V-stablizer of my tail. I was told to not use a dark color becausethis would happen. I started off I was going to paint it Yellow but the yellow had a hard time covering the gray primer I used so I switched to red.

Made me some new cheek plates also the old ones I had the bolts were keel so i felt it was best to change it.

Attachments

• 100_1420.jpg
    100_1420.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_1431.jpg
    100_1431.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I thought about changing a few things also so I started working on polishing the aluminum up on some of the yellow painted parts as you might have noticed at Wrens, GA at the flyin.

Oh yea the new tire I put on a back in June are doing great the nubs have not even worn off yet.......

Attachments

• 100_1468.jpg
    100_1468.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_1478.jpg
    100_1478.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_1471.jpg
    100_1471.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Looking good Chris, and that is a neat little trailer you have there.

Resasi :
Thanks about the trailer, I still have to install the elect. winch to save my back and legs.

I was hoping you would have stopped by, as far as the tires go when you change your out go with the flat type tires and get away from the wheel barrow type tires. Only bad this I have to say about the ones I am using now is I had to install them with inter-tubes first to get them on the rims. after 2 weeks I took one side loose and removed the tube and installed valve stems really quick and got them back on the rims. I hate having inter-tubes in a tire. Because when it gets something in the tire goes flat to fast. I never tried the green slim that you put in the tubes. Lots of people say it makes a mess when it get out side the tube and if you put in tubeless tires yuck poo!

I am going to see if I can get Maxi to help me out on a tall tail or give me some pointers. He sent me a copy of some drawing. ;)

Last edited:
Chris we have a hand crank winch which was simple but does mean you have to have a hand to get it onto the trailer.

The Deer hoist Timchick put us onto does a good job getting the blades on, and once again just a simple hand crank.

Our blade box just slides in under the gyro alongside the center keel and straps in with it's end just under the tail wheel and we put a tail light bar on that.

We did get some new 4 ply tires from Spruce and Stu has fitted them however I think they were the wheel barrow type and not the flat ones. Looking forward to getting back over there when I get back from Kenya and working some of our 40 hrs off. Looking at yours, do you have the Black Max split rims? If so would we be able to do the same and take the tubes out and go tubeless?

Attachments

• Gyro trailer 7.jpg
    Gyro trailer 7.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Resasi :
I think I got some of my idea's from you on the trailer......hehehe!:yo:

I am going to add the elect winch so I just sit and steer the bird up there.
I have been thinking about a duel axle trailer so I could have a place to sleep also. I went to Wrens. last month and got there kind of late 11:30PM and by the time I unloaded the bird it was 12:20AM so I just slept in my truck.....Not the best move I have made.....sleep for maybe 4-1/2 hours. But this is why I was looking at a enclosed trailer make a bunk bed on the front to fold down. Bad thing is the gas smell that would be in there. But I would have a roof vent and a roof A/C as well. Maybe Benson days?

10-30-10 tail work
I put some more slurry on the H-stab to fill in some of the ruff spots after putting the F/Glass mat in the holes and sanding it down. But like last year it is the time of year when the epoxy resin doesn't want to dry because it is cool. So after a few days it is time to put in the sun to help dry it out.

Adding hardener doesn't help all the time.......

Tim Chick deer hoist idea

Tim Chick deer hoist idea

The Deer hoist Timchick put us onto does a good job getting the blades on, and once again just a simple hand crank.

Hey TC: Tell me a little bit more about that deer hoist, please!

Tail is repaired and ready to go again....

Tail is repaired and ready to go again....

Well got all the bubbles taken out of my Stab. Had to put 2 coats of resin with the little glass balls in it. What do you call it? (Slurry) anyway got the all sanded down and put back on.

Got my first Warp Drive prop to try out.....can't wait....want to see if there is any difference......

Still going to work on tall tail plans. I think it would be much better with a tall tail. Like the "Bee Different"

Attachments

• Bee Different GyroBee #2 (Large).jpg.jpe
    Bee Different GyroBee #2 (Large).jpg.jpe
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
Chris- Looking good. I agree with Leigh about your trailer. You have a nice setup...looks easy to manage.

Stan

are you gonna make a tall tail dog? I use alot of left pedal on takeoff! its fine in the air! seems like alot of weight to me dog! :eek:

Well got all the bubbles taken out of my Stab. Had to put 2 coats of resin with the little glass balls in it. What do you call it? (Slurry) anyway got the all sanded down and put back on.

Got my first Warp Drive prop to try out.....can't wait....want to see if there is any difference......

Still going to work on tall tail plans. I think it would be much better with a tall tail. Like the "Bee Different"

StanFoster :
Thanks but it not to easy. I still have to mount the elect winch to ride the gyro up on the trailer. Right now it is pulling on a bad back. Hope to see some videos of you flying soon...

I might sell a few items I changed out.... Not sure yet
3 bladed IVO 60" clockwise rotation
Front wheel that was plastic, I now have all alum. rims.

Got a little work done tuesday take a look see!

Attachments

• 100_1532.jpg
    100_1532.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have to say I did notice a differance between the IVO and the Warp prop.....I don't know if it is the props or the pitch in the blades. I put in 9 degrees of pitch in the Wrap drive prop and I think I had almost the same amount in the IVO but I feel like I get a better climb rate with the Warp.....?

Camera went on the blink that makes 2 i have went through in 2 years now. A Kodak Z1012 IS and a Cannon power shot S1 IS. Both company want a 100.00 buck for repairs......

Vacation is over with now, back to work........

Last edited:
Tail Configuration

Tail Configuration

I have seen a number of different tail configs on the Gyrobee. Looking for input as to which flys the best. Any feedback is appreciated.

WildBill : I can say only about one tail that I have flown on a gyrobee and that is mine. It flies good with what I have but I have been told that the best one if like the "BEE DIFFERENT" with the Dom. tall tail.
Ask Ron he has flown just about everyone aircraft here!

After I repaired all the bubbles that popped up because the color was a sun attractor, I painted parts of the tail White and have had every little problem since then. So yes the dark color will cause you a lot of problems with the Epoxy Resin that I have found out... UV is a killer....

A tall tail will be a pleasure to fly after experiencing a short, Bensen type.

No more standing on the left pedal, getting leg cramps on takeoff. You use no pedal at all for torque compensation with a tall tail. Instead, the rudder is reserved for trick flying and for slipping on crosswind final.

Doug Riley : Been working on this for a while now. I have the 2 ends of the spar cut out and ready to go but been trying to find out what thickness of sheeting to use...... .032 sounded good but some say that is to thin. I have the other parts figured out...So far. The Dom. plans I have help a little also.

If anything, .032 is unnecessarily thick. It'll be hard to bend. I've built from ..016 29024-T3, using epoxy instead of rivets, but .024 ought to do with a riveted skin.

Doug Riley : Thank Doug for the reply. I worked a lot with rivet but not that much with epoxy. I have just found someone that has a break also. I had called the metal companies trying to see if any of them could fold the sheet in half for shipping. All said No!

Maxie W. gave me some good suggestions, great guy lives next town over from me. Not to many gyro nuts around here anymore. Someone said there used to be a lot of them. Only one I know now is Tim over in Beaufort, SC.
Any way thanks!