SandL

Aircraft
Bensen Merlin dragon wings Rotax 532
Total Flight Time
400hrs (4,000 instructional launches) gliding, 200 fixed wing, 100 gyro
I think it comes right back to what age group is the target audience
if it's 55-65 then hard copy is best
if it's 17-25 then electronic copy is best

If the age group of paying members is 55-65 then the majority will probably want hard copy.
if the aim of the organisation is to appeal to the youth then they will expect all the latest electronic mag, facebook and twitter, youtube etc.
however I suspect the target is the mid range of 40-55 years of age , in which case you could do with both., whilst keeping the existing 55-65 group happy.
A good marketing person will be able to show the best way
Is the PRA trying to appeal to the youth , in which case it will be words like .. latest greatest, innovation , be the first etc, if the aim is focused at the older generation , then words like tried, tested, safe, reliable are used. Autogyro Uk used the phrase "new Generation", it has been a very clever marketing approach.
Could the PRA adopt a similar stance with a new generation PRA ? a re-launch after a rethink

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
I'm a little puzzled at how this Forum and the PRA mag have divvied up the available (volunteer-generated) content.

It seems to me that chat-room/e-forum content is like cotton candy -- a quick burst of flavor, but nothing that lasts. Paper content OTOH must be chewed slowly to get anything out of it. I seem these two as complimenting each other.

In the Smartphone era, we need a source of "flash info," both for fast-developing stories and for people who are just surfing about for a first look at the sport. That would be the Forum.

The Forum is a poor channel through which to try to transmit detailed, structured, step-by-step presentations of technical material or history. That sort of story is far better presented in print (or maybe printlike digital formats). People reading online forums simply don't expect to spend much uninterrupted time reading long articles. The medium may not be the whole message, but it sure affects people's attention spans.

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
I have noted that most readers on this forum do not read beyond the first sentence or two of a post, since they will post the same thing a few replies later. I do not read builders postings or anything long, nor do I read any electronic magazines. Tried printing out a few but soon quit that. I do read and look forward to my magazines that come in the mail, which I read several times and then take them to the VA hospital.

It would be interesting to have folks here vote on this issue. electronic or print magazine

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I have only read one issue online. Its just not the same as a printed magazine.

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
Anyone who wants to receive a printed copy of the Rotorcraft magazine just has to contact Jane at the office and pay $49.95 per year USA residents. Price is higher for overseas members.

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Well in the print versus electronic war the iPad has won out when it comes to instrument approach charts and company flight manuals. What used to weigh about 38 pounds now weighs about 1.

Boots

Aircraft
GYROBEE 447 / Sport Copter
We missed most of our first day at Oshkosh because the flight was delayed due to no printed manual in the cockpit . All commercial flights should have Ipads :)

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
It would be interesting to have folks here vote on this issue. electronic or print magazine
Karl,

The real question isn't: "Which format do people prefer?" Given a choice most of us would prefer to have a printed magazine. Very few would debate that question. But the facts are, there aren't enough members in the PRA to sustain a Printed Magazine. Printing costs and Mailing costs continue to climb and it simply isn't feasible for a small group like ours to pay for a printed magazine. Much larger groups than ours have had to give up printed magazines, that is just part of the changing world we live in. There is also the issue of content. There isn't enough money to pay people to write articles, so the articles have to be written and shared by people who love the sport enough that they are willing to contribute without being compensated, just to help the sport. We have a hard time finding people even willing to write summaries of the Events that our organization holds. And no one is stepping forward to write heavier articles with build advise or technical articles covering some of the more hard to understand topics. Until more people decide to personally get involved and do what they can to help it change, we are headed for more of the same thing we have seen.

Doug Barker
PRA Pres.

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
I was talking to some gyro guys at the airport Sunday and one of them made a good point about a problem with growing the PRA.

The PRA is led by a board. So X number of board members, some of them pulling for the same things, some of them pulling in different directions. Everyone has to be pulling the same rope in the same direction.

The EAA was led by one man pretty much, he had people answering to him and he steered the organization. I am sure he listened to input but he did the navigating.

Why doesn't the PRA just elect(hire) a "supreme ruler" (joking) for 4 year terms or two year terms. But elect someone who has ran larger organizations than the PRA. Pay them a salary with monetary incentive to grow the organization. And he answers to the board in some way, but not where they can micro manage him and basically hoble him. Let him grow it. I am sure everyone wouldn't agree with every decision he made but if the numbers show he is doing his job, leave him alone.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
...Everyone has to be pulling the same rope in the same direction.

The EAA was led by one man pretty much, he had people answering to him and he steered the organization...
Where did you get this misinformation? Tom Poberezny always answered to a board. AirVenture has become a huge money-maker for EAA, and Tom also chaired that event. His success no doubt led to the board valuing his opinion. The board also attracted candidates who generally agreed with each other, and with Tom's direction.

Tom Poberezny demonstrated what I consider the primary definition of leadership: The ability to convince people to act in ways you are not authorized to order them to act. As would be expected, he attracted "haters," people who accused him of ruling with an iron fist.

The disagreements over direction that occur among PRA board members are an asset, not a liability. We need people passionately arguing issues before a direction is chosen. The problem with PRA boards in the past has been a refusal by some directors to accept the majority decision and move forward in unity once they lost the vote. That is disloyal and destructive to any organization, IMHO.

As for the "why doesn't PRA just hire someone" idea, you're talking about an organization that can barely pay the bills right now. The next hire should probably be an airport manager who works on straight commission to airport revenue. Get that working, and there will be money for other things.

AirScooter

Scott Waggoner
Aircraft
Tandem Dominator-Zenith 701
Total Flight Time
8 minutes, 31 seconds
Where did you get this misinformation? Tom Poberezny always answered to a board. AirVenture has become a huge money-maker for EAA, and Tom also chaired that event. His success no doubt led to the board valuing his opinion. The board also attracted candidates who generally agreed with each other, and with Tom's direction.

Where did you get this misinformation?
Tom Poberezny wasn't president of EAA until 1989.
His father Paul Poberezny was the first president and was president from 1953 until 1989.
Paul then became "chairman of the board".

I haven't read the bylaws of the organization, but no matter what they say, Paul Poberezny WAS the EAA. He had a lot of good people around him, and I am not saying he didn't listen to the board, but make no mistake he navigated the ship.

Did you notice? One man at the helm from 1953 until 1989? Hey but what the PRA is doing is working much better than what the EAA has done. So I would just keep right on doing it like it has been. Make no changes.

I fear there is too much pride in what has been for there to be changes made to grow the organization.

But you are correct, someone trying to make the airport profitable needs to be priority. Because right now it only benifits whomever attends the convention and the few who use it otherwise.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
..... Hey but what the PRA is doing is working much better than what the EAA has done. So I would just keep right on doing it like it has been. Make no changes.

I fear there is too much pride in what has been for there to be changes made to grow the organization....
Whoa Scott..

No where in the world was Sport Rotorcraft in the same league as Sport Airplanes during the time periods you named (or any time period.)

Regulation in the US has a great deal to do with the condition of our sport/hobby.

I would challenge the benevolent dictator idea as a key to success for the future of PRA. I think we have had strong business oriented leaders in PRA in the past. What we need are a lot more dedicated followers. :) And yes I know leadership inspires followers . I would put it another way.

Grow the industry, grow the PRA- Grow the PRA, grow the industry.

The pie is too small and not growing very fast. BUT, as new modern machines replace the flying lawn chair image, you attract more new pilots.

The problem is not attracting new people, its answering their basic needs, like where can I see one, fly in one, get instruction in one.

Which leads us back to problem one, our own government... the FAA.

Change that and you begin to grow the industry, the membership, the sport.

Ever wonder why light sport gyrocopters out sell light sport fixed wings in Europe, but not in the US ? ... See above.

Just my humble opinion.

M

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi

"Ever wonder why light sport gyrocopters out sell light sport fixed wings in Europe, but not in the US ?""

Is this correct - certainly not reflected in the new aircraft/gyro registration data I see.

Is there a source for this idea ?

BUD ONEAL

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
600+
This has been bantered back and forth as long as I have been a member of the PRA.[31years] Things will never change imho, until people in charge remove their heads from the backside and forget their agendas and listen to the members. You can pull a chain but you sure as hell cannot push it until it has been welded. We need a welder in charge.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
Bud & PRA stuff

Bud & PRA stuff

Bud, You must be a good carpenter, the way you hit nails on the head. I just passed 40 years with the PRA and my 39th convention attended. Things ran fairly well in the early days. Sadly, not much has changed and we still run the PRA like a 1960's company. It's no wonder we can't attract the youngsters. We promote the coolest "Extreme Sport" machine on the planet, yet hardly get a glance from the "Extreme" sports crowd.

Hey, everybody

Check out this post, as you do, think about our web site. Looking at the site, insert PRA (or SRA), local chapters, machines, etc.......... sure would be a fresh start for us with something like this. I'd much rather pilot a gyro than a hovercraft ANYDAY, and I've piloted both.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=583104#post583104

Last edited:

SandL

Aircraft
Bensen Merlin dragon wings Rotax 532
Total Flight Time
400hrs (4,000 instructional launches) gliding, 200 fixed wing, 100 gyro
I does not sound impossible

I does not sound impossible

1000 members at $36 (looking on the black side) is £36,000 per year
1000 x 36 = $36,000 that is $3,000 per month which sounds like enough to play with. depends how much the museum and airport cost to run. even if there is only $1,000 per month I would have thought that the PRA can affoud to nuy a member a bit of benefit. even if it's just a sew on patch or $10 discount on insurance.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
Hi

"Ever wonder why light sport gyrocopters out sell light sport fixed wings in Europe, but not in the US ?""

Is this correct - certainly not reflected in the new aircraft/gyro registration data I see.

Is there a source for this idea ?
..."Aero News

In the main exhibit area, Autogyro of Germany, and Chesapeake Light Sport, the US distributor based in Maryland, are here with open and enclosed tandem models, and the new, enclosed, side-by-side Calidus. These gyros have been outselling fixed-wing LSA-class machines in Europe over the past four years, and the US Department of Justice has been funding tests of Autogyro's models by law enforcement agencies in the US under the public use exemption. ..."

JRB549

J.R. Brown
Aircraft
Working on a Two seater
Total Flight Time
Grassroots is how it was started and grassroots is how it's fed, along with other clubs and groups. Theres a feel that alot of people dont want anything more, you'll lose something if it grows. If you want to run with the big dogs (in all respects of the Aviation world) you have to get off the porch. Until the "ownership" mentality is dropped by those who DONT own it, the PRA and the airport are doomed. And that is sad.

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
..."Aero News

In the main exhibit area, Autogyro of Germany, and Chesapeake Light Sport, the US distributor based in Maryland, are here with open and enclosed tandem models, and the new, enclosed, side-by-side Calidus. These gyros have been outselling fixed-wing LSA-class machines in Europe over the past four years, and the US Department of Justice has been funding tests of Autogyro's models by law enforcement agencies in the US under the public use exemption. ..."
Hello,

I doubt that they outsell fixed wing, in Germany the statistics are still about 2:1 new registrations and 8:1 registered in stock, in favor of fixed wing:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40575&highlight=statistics+germany

However, if you compare models, autogyro-europe (the MTO, Calidus, Cavalon people) have the biggest market share, simply because the numbers on the fixed wing side spread over more manufacturers more evenly.

Kai.