Replacement for Key West Regulator / Rectifier

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
The Key West Regulator/Rectifier on Laura's 582 powered parachute is not working. Rotax wants $258.00 for theirs. Anyone replaced the key west with another and had good success. Part number, source, and info appreciated.

I replaced a 503 regulator with a Tympanium one years ago - I think it was originally designed for a motorcycle. Sorry, too long ago to remember specifics, but they're not that different in capacity from the Key Wests.

Last edited:
Joe: I remember Scott Essex had done a lot of homework cross-referencing Rotax snowmobile parts vs. their "aircraft" engines. He discovered the snowmobile parts were a fraction of the price than the aircraft-engine side of Rotax parts.

Joe: I remember Scott Essex had done a lot of homework cross-referencing Rotax snowmobile parts vs. their "aircraft" engines. He discovered the snowmobile parts were a fraction of the price than the aircraft-engine side of Rotax parts.
He is correct. That’s what made the 670 desirable. It shared the case with the 618 so it has pads for the gear box already. It was more horse power and the crankshaft is much beefier. In my opinion Rotax uses the label aircraft engine as an excuse to overcharge because they can.

Joe
The only one I can find is the same one you found. I can’t believe Key West went out of business. I wonder if they were a family business and suffered because of Covid? That or people moving away from two strokes. I will call Norman and see if he has any ideas.

Joe
Norman said what you are looking for is a regulator/rectifier for a 1996 SkiDoo Grand Touring with either 583 or 670 engine. They use the same one and are acceptable for use on the 582

Joe
The only one I can find is the same one you found. I can’t believe Key West went out of business. I wonder if they were a family business and suffered because of Covid? That or people moving away from two strokes. I will call Norman and see if he has any ideas.
Key West did not go out of business

The Key West Regulator/Rectifier on Laura's 582 powered parachute is not working. Rotax wants $258.00 for theirs. Anyone replaced the key west with another and had good success. Part number, source, and info appreciated.
Aircraft Spruce $65. 1699487941354.png

Hmmm I wonder if you could get away with one of the universal (scooter type) full wave regulators?

The 2 center wires (yellow and pink) connect to the generator coil, the red is 12v, the green is regulated AC for motorcycle headlight, not ground.
You are better off to run a small battery to help smooth out the current.

Or you could go with the old rotax univesal type, I believe it requires a 1 amp load at all times (lightbulb)