Renowned Aviator Brian Shul Dead at 75

I have a good friend that was a former TR-1/ U-2 pilot. He currently works for Lockheed - Martin. He's very good at keeping OPSEC of his past and present. I told my friend about my visit to Lockheed Skunk Works for a briefing I presented to senior management. At the end of the meeting and briefing, the CEO gave me a nice Lockheed / Skunk Works challenge coin. I showed my friend the coin. He studied it for some time. Then he said, "I see they cleared you to see things based on your TS." The coin has an image that requires a TS and not presented to just anyone.

Wayne

Thanks Jim.

3 for runway aligned 030 mag, 30 for 300.
Since I know you are working on your rating, I'll amplify a little.

The actual runway direction, in this case, could be from 025 to 034 degrees, magnetic.

If the controller wants you to fly runway heading, he will say something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway 3, fly runway heading." In that case he would want you to fly the published magnetic direction of the runway, without wind drift correction.

If the controller wants you to fly a specific heading, he will say something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway three, fly heading 030."

If a controller simply says something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway three." you are expected to apply a wind drift correction, and fly the extended centerline until your first turn or leaving the airspace.

Jim

Last edited:
Since I know you are working on your rating, I'll amplify a little.

The actual runway direction, in this case, could be from 025 to 034 degrees, magnetic.

If the controller wants you to fly runway heading, he will say something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway 3, fly runway heading." In that case he would want you to fly the published magnetic direction of the runway, without wind drift correction.

If the controller wants you to fly a specific heading, he will say something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway three, fly heading 030."

If a controller simply says something like: "Cleared for takeoff runway three." you are expected to apply a wind drift correction, and fly the extended centerline until your first turn or leaving the airspace.

Jim
Jim:

I'm aware of the potential variations (word choice) with actual runway alignment.

I don't plan to ever be in controlled airspace?

🙂
Bobby

Are we talking security clearances or runway 3 landing clearances?

I once held what the AEC/ERDA/DOE called SENSITIVE Q - CNWDI - CRYPTO clearance at Los Alamos and Sandia labs, and was told that even if the info appeared on the cover of Time Magazine I had to keep it quiet until 90 days after my funeral. Some of the SRD we had (all about nuclear fusion) was given to us by Soviet counterparts so one had to wonder from whom it needed to be kept secret.

Acronym translation on request.

Last edited:
My Brother had a TS/SCI clearance, and despite that, they never divulged to him why Military runways had the zero in front of the runway numbers...

During one tour in the Corps, I was the SO on a FMFLANT/CINCLANT DNSI prep team. I inspected/examined the PRP of units using SAS cookies when the SIOP generated an EAM that might result in employment of PAL enabled devices. We landed on runways having a zero in front of the runway numbers. The preceding sentences are unclas.

Last edited:
During one tour in the Corps, I was the SO on a FMFLANT/CINCLANT DNSI prep team. I inspected/examined the PRP of units using SAS cookies when the SIOP generated an EAM that might result in employment of PAL enabled devices. We landed on runways having a zero in front of the runway numbers. The preceding sentences are unclas.
EIEIO

Wayne

Yes, where I live no reason to ever go into controlled airspace.
If your over 1,200 ft or 700 ft in some ares then you are in controlled airspace. But I do agree I like to fly lower in my gyro.

Yes, where I live no reason to ever go into controlled airspace.
Most non-towered public airports have controlled airspace around them starting at 700 ft.
So I guess you are either always staying under 700 ft and/or flying from a private airport?