Rebuild

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I have some of the gyro mocked up, I have been using the old tubing to drill and make patterns for the new stuff.
Over the weekend I molested a Barbi bicycle and cut off the front wheel. Then I cut the back end off one of the kid's worn out scooters. I then took all the pieces parts and fabricated a new nose wheel.

The seat tank is held on with duct tape for the photos. :)

Attachments

• gyro rebuild10.JPG
    gyro rebuild10.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • gyro rebuild12.JPG
    gyro rebuild12.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • nose wheel.JPG
    nose wheel.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • nose wheel2.JPG
    nose wheel2.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo
Scott, I believe that once you get used to it, you will like that configuration a lot better than the original. It's looking very good, Scott.

I want to know how you've been thinking straight since the mishap? :D

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
looking good. Be sure to use some spring between the rudder pedals and the front fork.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I will use some springs, also I need to figure out some kind of brakes, weather or not I use a holding brake, or go with main wheel brakes, I don't know yet.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
No, It is my interpretaion of thier kit. :) almost identical to the vortech one.

I talked to The guy at Rotorhawk, and basically I am doing the same thing. I think they charge $500, for the kit, not a bad deal. I just decided to do mine myself.
Mine will look like a Rotorhawk Falcon when I am done.

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo
Jose, I've seen Scott's work. His version will be at least as good, if not better. Yeaaaa, Scott.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Thanks Chuck, I still hope to be in the air by ROC, I am not going to get into a hurry, but that is my plan. If it is not done by then I will still go to ROC.
It is not just a rebuild but a total new machine build. So I will have a bit of time invested by the time it is done. Plus I want to paint it this time, so that will take a little longer.

Chuck Irby

Platinum Member
Aircraft
618 Dominator Single
Total Flight Time
60 solo
I have a lot of bare aluminum on my machine, and it's showing no signs of oxidation yet. Just funnin', maybe I can get you to paint mine sometime. It looks like crap, but it sure does well in the air.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Most of my plate is 2024t-3 it is stronger than 6061t-6, but it corrodes easier.
I just happen to be able to get 2024 cheaper than 6061.

You know, that aerospace scrap alloy.

joeheli

Aircraft
Bensen B8M with Mac 90
Scott, Did you ask the guys in Vortech what they include on the Drop keel kit that they sell? Is really looking good! I imagine that it gives you a better stability now that is CLT. Are you goin to stay with your engine or you are goin to change it?. Now that you have room you can a 582 rotax with a 68"
carbon prop. :D

Last edited:

joeheli

Aircraft
Bensen B8M with Mac 90
I feel sorry for you kids. NO Barbi bicycle.... NO scotter :mad: ! Is not there fault that you crash. :D

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I am going to be using the Suzuki 530 with a 60" warp drive same prop, different engine.

Don't worry about the kids, they are 16 and 19 years old, they have thier own toys now. :D

The kids did help me pull the gyro out of the field after the crash. They are good kids.

This picture is from before I built my gyro, this is Rick Abercrombie's gyro.

Attachments

• kids by gyro.jpg
    kids by gyro.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

joeheli

Aircraft
Bensen B8M with Mac 90
When you yo spoke to the guys in Vortech, Did they toll you what they include on the
Drop keel kit for Bensen? I really like how it look, and I imagine that is more stable now that is CLT.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I actually called the owner of Rotorhawk up in Indiana, and talked to him. Here is what he said in the Email.

Scott,

No plans are available. We do have a "drop-keel conversion kit" that changes the Benson style machines into the more stable and user friendly center line thrust type machines. You can use most of your same parts on the machine w/o drilling more holes in the air frame etc. .cost is $495.00. Contains the main cluster plates for your mast, front & rear keels and axel.

Works great !!

Neal
Rotor Hawk

here is the email address [email protected]

He seems like a real nice guy.

Caribean_gyro

Platinum Member
Aircraft
twinstar
Total Flight Time
500+
Just by ron heron tail and you will see adiference. CLT is not the cure for all disease. I helps the pain but dont cure it once and for ever.
ChuckP