Real winter flying..

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
But without Winter Electric Heating Suit I don't think I could manage it.
Here flying with a friend in Sweden.

Attachments

• Giorgos.jpg
    Giorgos.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Unfortunately I am not a cold weather person. Tried flying the Benson when it was down to 4C. I had so much clothing on I could hardly walk, and three pairs of gloves. I lasted about 35 mins then had to stop as I couldn’t feel my hands any more.

I did like the boost in performance though, it seemed a different craft in the cold.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Where I live, we have two seasons: winter and the 4th of July. For that reason among others, I passed almost all my flying milestones while shivering: first dual gyroglider flight, first solo gyroglider, first powered gyro flights, first fixed-wing U.L. solo, etc. The extra performance is like adding 30% more power. Eventually I learned how to dress so as to delay hypothermia -- sort of.

The biggest surprise was that my Rotax 912S would not come up to proper operating temperature the first time I tried it in the cold. It failed to develop full power on takeoff, and I elected to land off-field, given my poor rate of climb. I then covered the (Rabbit) radiator with sheet polyethylene and duct tape, flew again and all was well.

A Rabbit radiator is larger than you really need for the 912, although it was fine in warmer weather -- i.e. on the 4th of July weekend.

Martin W.

A good snowmobile suit , boots , and helmet will keep you toasty warm but they can be pricey .... some even have (electrically) heated gloves ... I have done lots of (very) cold weather sledding and think gyro flying in winter would be even more fun.