RC Magni M-16

Tyger,

As a scratch built RC project, I think the level of difficulty would be minimal. Glued hard wood keel and mast, balsa cabin, empennage and rotor blades. The rotor head could be milled by any experience machinist with a good CNC setup. A very simple electric motor pre-rotator (as this example possess).

With a good 3-axis electronic gyro set up, it would be very easy to fly for a novice RC pilot.

Your profile displays that you have a Magni M-16. Send me the exact dimentions, measurements, and degrees of angles of your M-16's keel, mast, cabin, and emmpenage, and I could create a set of drawing for an RC model.

Wayne

PRA would love to have a finished copy of the CNC code etc. for our library, and if enough demand might ask one of the colleges next year to make PRA a model/kit, project, we could mass-produce in limited qualities???

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I want mine to be ELECTRIC, John. :)

Anyone else see similarities between his many attempts to get his r/c gyro airborne (post #6) & videos of guys doing the same in their full-size machines by hauling back on the cyclic to take off b/4 the rotorblades are ready to lift?

Wayne, thanks for that offer... I'll try to collect those numbers for you.

The college kids had 3-D scanners made out of the X-Box game controller that they scanned the RAF, the Yamaha Motor, and other components.
It's allowed them to import the scan into SolidWorks to create a drawing of it and then it's can create all of the code needed to generate the CDC files.

This year for the first time none of the students own a 3-D scanner.
Solution PRA offered to buy the components and the students are eager to build PRA a scanner that we will loan our to members or non-members when it is good for our community. As PRA supports our community whether they support us makes no difference to PRA's supporting you. I do not even ask if they are a member we help all who contact PRA equally.

It would require you to walk around the gyro scanning the entire gyro including the belly, mast, and rotor head. But it will provide the exact measurements and only take a couple of hours or less.

It sometimes reflects off of some paint or other surfaces and we have to put tape on those parts and rescan then it the only redo's needed.

It may take a month for the kids to finish this as I just told them PRA does need one for our future projects yesterday.

However, as soon as it's done and they do the scans PRA needs for these projects I would be so happy to mail it to you and help you learn how to use it.
We would have to wait, but then I can send Wayne all of the data and that would make it much easier for Wayne too.

Last edited:
Wayne, I could really use your expertise on this project and if will would make you the leader for this PRA project, if you are willing.

Hi John,

I've read in a Radio Control Model Airplane forum that the RC Magni M-16 was an Italian model kit, however by some comments in that said forum, the kit is no longer produced. I'm willing to help with drawings, however with current time constraints, I most likely will not be able to start until after the first of the year.

This would be a great project for aviation oriented students.

Wayne

Hi Kevin,

I don't discount what you have written about Hillberg's video post, however I think perhaps in this instance it is more on how model aircraft is flown especially during take off sequence.

Because of the greater power to weight ratio as compared to full sized aircraft, RC model pilots often "haul their aircraft" off of the ground as oppose to gently rotating to take off attitude as one would do with a full sided aircraft. Full throttle and "yank it off" without worry of stalling. When I flew RC aircraft before I flew full sized, I did the same thing.

After watching the video multiple times, this builder pilot is trying to fly his model gyro the same way he flies is model airplanes without the knowledge of high aerodynamic drag of his rotor at very slow airspeed. Add to the fact that the RC motor has way more torque in relation the full sized gyro, will torque roll much easier and quicker leading to crunched gyro.

Wayne

Back when I was first getting hooked on gyros, I built and flew a U control gyro.

The rotor was carved from a spruce yardstick and control was by elevator rather than rotorhead tilt. It flew OK and could even be looped.

It wouldn’t fly on the engine I started with, which I think was 0.18 inch³; ended up with a 0.28 inch³ engine. That was a long time ago and my recollection about engine size is a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:
Back when I was first getting hooked on gyros, I built and flew a U control gyro.

The rotor was carved from a spruce yardstick and control was by elevator rather than rotorhead tilt. It flew OK and could even be looped.

It wouldn’t fly on the engine I started with, which I think was 0.18³ inch; ended up with a 0.28³ inch engine. That was a long time ago and my recollection about engine size is a bit fuzzy.
You never cease to amaze me, Sir Chuck!

Hi Chuck,

A long time friend, Tony Naccarato spend a lifetime in model airplane business as a hobby shop owner that originally was started by his dad back in 1936 in Hollywood, CA, and later moved the shop to the City of Burbank in 1951. The hobby shop was closed up back in 2006 after 55 years of business. Before Lockheed moved out of Burbank, Lockheed and many of it's engineers purchased from T & A Hobby Lobby.

Tony was a consummate control line flyer, literally building and flying hundreds of control line models during his lifetime.

One afternoon in his hobby shop many years ago, Tony and I discussed control line autogyro aerodynamics. He told me at that time, that the autogyros would be built with rigid two blade non-teetering rotors that would rotate clock-wise as seen from above, with the advancing blade on the left side of the aircraft. Without a teetering or flapping rotor system (along with permanent right rudder), the model would of course want to roll to the right, keeping the control lines taunt. The rotor blades had a flat bottom Clark Y type of airfoil set at about one degree negative pitch whereas during the takeoff roll, the rotor would quickly "windmill" up to speed. Most flat bottom airfoils will still create lift even if set at a slight negative angle of incidence.

Sadly, Tony passed away back in June of 2019 of cancer.

Here are two videos of control line autogyros

Wayne

Tony Naccarato Memorial Flight of control line models

Attachments

• TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight.jpg
    TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
  • TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight2.jpg
    TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 9
  • TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight3.jpg
    TonyNaccaratoMemorialFlight3.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 9
  • T&A_hobby_lobby.jpg
    T&A_hobby_lobby.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 10
  • TonyNaccarato.jpg
    TonyNaccarato.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 8
  • TonyNaccarato2.jpg
    TonyNaccarato2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Interesting Wayne; much fancier than anything I built. My models were 3 pieces of 3/8 inch aluminum tube bolted together with 4-40 machine screws and a rotor made from the type of yardstick given away by lumber yards and building supply stores, a stick of spruce that was about ¼ inch thick x 1 3/8 inch wide, shaped on a stationary shop type belt sander.
I wasn’t into flying models so borrowed engines/propellers and it’s been many a year since anyone gave away yard sticks.

My attempts at building gyro kites ended in failure. They were unstable about the roll axis and would oscillate in roll until they tumbled over.

Last edited: