RAF owners/drivers (Part II) - standard RAF, stabilator, and friends (NON-POLL)

Jerry Do they have a good shelf life?

I have the original Jason now but I plan on replacing it at 100 hours as well as the external bearing.

Jerry Do they have a good shelf life?

I have the original Jason now but I plan on replacing it at 100 hours as well as the external bearing.

Thom,

I don't have actual experience regarding drive belt shelf live. One could conclude that the shelf life would be excellent if kept in the proper conditions. I replaced my Jason (from the factory) with a Gates at 100 hours. Replaced my Gates at 300 hours and when examining it closely, I bet it could go another couple hundred hours. I share a hangar with one of the RAF CFI's that flies a lot of students, his current Gates belt has over 400 hours.

Happy New Year

Happy New Year

Hello Jerry!:usa2:

So how is the ol' F-4 Pilot? Couldn't miss your nice RAF paint job. I hope all is well and you have a fabulous '07.

G. W. W.

Lexan / Plastic Cleaner

Lexan / Plastic Cleaner

So...anything new to give us on the use of the Plast-X? I was going to *try* Meguiars web for info on where to buy this stuff...but haven't done it yet.:(

CFWMDF
Cheers :)

I found that Novus #1 and #2 work great. No. 1 (P/N 09-38110) is a plastic cleaner and No. 2 (P/N 09-38120) is a fine scratch remover. I usually use no. 2. You can get them at Aircraft Spruce.

I found that Novus #1 and #2 work great. No. 1 (P/N 09-38110) is a plastic cleaner and No. 2 (P/N 09-38120) is a fine scratch remover. I usually use no. 2. You can get them at Aircraft Spruce.

I had bought a bottle of PlastX and before I used it, someone posted that it was a Micro-abrasive. I didn't even open the bottle...in fact, I still have it ...unopened.

I was using the Novus when someone mentioned the Mequiar's three part Plastic Glaze Polish. I got some and tried it. It did the best job I've ever had on my machines' windscreen.

Once the superficial scratches were removed, I just used the Mirror Glaze Polish to make the windscreen *invisible.* When bugs or something cause scratches, I just use the Meg's cleaner to remove the scratches and follow up with the Meg's polish. the Mequiar's Glaze products are non abrasive and I wholly endorse them for use on your plastic windscreens.

Another nice RAF.

Another nice RAF.

Am posting this foto for Benjamin Meyers in Oregon.

Nice lookin' machine BM.

Attachments

• June2008Aaron&Flying022.jpg
    June2008Aaron&Flying022.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
I know this is an old post but oh well... My tanning bed has acrylic panels on it and they said to never use any product containig ammonia like "Windex" on it as ammonia will cloud the acrylic over time.

I know this is an old post but oh well... My tanning bed has acrylic panels on it and they said to never use any product containig ammonia like "Windex" on it as ammonia will cloud the acrylic over time.

Hi Don, No offense meant here but I can't tell much about one from a bio that don't offer any info as to ones experience or ones goals. But...

The windscreen on the RAF is of Lexan. In cleaning the screen on my machine, for over 11 years now, I have sprayed "Windex" on the entire screen and drag a warm and dampened soft cloth diaper across it. I then dry it with another dry diaper. You can't find a softer cloth than a baby's cloth diaper. :D

I then now use Meguiar's clear plastic polish. If any minor scratches are visible I first use the Meguiar's cleaner to get rid of 'em, then the polish. My windscreen is as clear now as it was when brand new. ;)

Hi to all.I'm new to the group. I'm glad to see all the info about RAF's here!
I'm on my way to TX next week to pick up an 02 RAF GTX SE FI. I've been reading and listening to all and the first stop on my way home to Maine is to stop and receive dual training!!
Talk later.
Jeff

Me Too

Me Too

And next Monday I'm on my way to Georiga to pick up an 01 kit. Already called Larry and have a stab on the way, plus and cross bar from Wayne. Will be a busy summer.

Hi to all.I'm new to the group. I'm glad to see all the info about RAF's here!
I'm on my way to TX next week to pick up an 02 RAF GTX SE FI. I've been reading and listening to all and the first stop on my way home to Maine is to stop and receive dual training!!
Talk later.
Jeff

Welcome Jeff.

Keep us posted on your journey home and as your training progresses.

By the way...could you give us a bit more info about yourself in your bio. Thanks.

And next Monday I'm on my way to Georiga to pick up an 01 kit. Already called Larry and have a stab on the way, plus and cross bar from Wayne. Will be a busy summer.

Yeah...keep us posted Tony, you know, like kit no., what eng., carb or FI, etc.

Have Fun.

Not sure what kit # it is yet. I do know it's got the 2.2 with a carb. Same as my other RAF.

Thanks Jeff for updating your Bio.

You still own the Stinson?! That 108 was one fine aircraft. I had occasion to fly one, but that was some time back.

[Hi Harry,
Yes, I still have the Stinson.
I bought it as a project.
/B] I hope to complete it this year. Of course, Flying the RAF mnay take a little time away!
Jeff

Hello to all!
My trip to TX to pick up N412GB was great. Stopped in Brewton, AL 900 miles, on the way home. I spent 5 days with Dofin Fritts getting rid of my fixed wing fling habits. It goes to prove, you can teach an old dog new tricks!! Flight time was restricted due to lousy weather(tornados!!) and being gone from Family and business for 12 days sent me North bound 1750 miles(in a Penske Truck) Glad to be home and look forward to more training and updating this awesome RAF!
Jeff