RAF owners/drivers (Part II) - standard RAF, stabilator, and friends (NON-POLL)

Paulp;

You have some beautiful pics...is there any way you can post them larger than what they are?!

Don't ask me how to do it, cause, I don't know how. I'm just barely gittin' by, myself, with this 'puter stuff.:eek:

Cheers:)

Reference to better bearings.....

A Local Tennessee company you can get any drive belts, Bearings and most anything mechanical can be bought here at:

Motion Industries Inc
1296 Boyd Farris Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506
(931) 528-3797

I bought Re-Drive belts for my CFI's RAF-2000 there, for about 1/2 the price they wanted from RAF. I've used them to supply any bearings that have been made! You cut out the middle man mark up this way.
They can cross them over for you to a better bearing and better grade if you wish.
If you don't know the numbers.. simply measure with micrometers or calipers the diameters... I.D. and O.D. and the thickness and tell them what rpms and pressures you need them to handle. They can do the rest!

A Local Tennessee company you can get any drive belts, Bearings and most anything mechanical that can be bought here at:

Motion Industries Inc
1296 Boyd Farris Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506
(931) 528-3797

I bought Re-Drive belts for my CFI's RAF-2000 there, for about 1/2 the price they wanted from RAF. I've used them to supply any bearings that have been made! You cut out the middle man mark up this way.
They can cross them over for you to a better bearing and better grade if you wish.
If you don't know the numbers.. simply measure with micrometers or calipers the diameters... I.D. and O.D. and the thickness and tell them what rpms and pressures you need them to handle. They can do the rest!

Howdy Harry,

Thanks for the complement. As far as getting the pics bigger-I don't know. I consider it a major coup just getting the images posted!!!! My last attempt at posting pics shut down a major power grid in Chicago and I'm in OK!!!!! However, I will give a try. I am going to take a pic of the saftey wired aft limit bolt on the hub bar. It may help some other folks out there.:wave:

A Local Tennessee company you can get any drive belts, Bearings and most anything mechanical can be bought here at:

Motion Industries Inc
1296 Boyd Farris Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506
(931) 528-3797

If you don't know the bearing numbers.. simply measure with micrometers or calipers the diameters... I.D. and O.D. and the thickness and tell them what rpms and pressures you need them to handle. They can do the rest!
If you have trouble getting them... I have an account with them setup.
Let me know if I can help out. Bill at: 1-931-808-7245 or email me at: [email protected]

Better bearings...

Better bearings...

Motion Industries Inc
1296 Boyd Farris Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506
(931) 528-3797

I have set up an account with them.
If you need assistance. email me: [email protected]

Motion Industries Inc
1296 Boyd Farris Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506
(931) 528-3797

Thanks for that info Bill. I have put it in my goody file.

Just for comparison, if you will...how much did they charge for a Power Redrive Belt for the RAF2000? Was this a Gates belt? If not a Gates, what name was it?

Can they supply the named bearing that I give them...by that I mean...a specific part number?

Thank you, Bill.

Cheers :)

Harry,
I bought the Gates belt for the re-drive from my local Motion Industries store also. I think it was 55 or 60 bucks.

Harry,
I bought the Gates belt for the re-drive from my local Motion Industries store also. I think it was 55 or 60 bucks.

Sounds good!

Any website where we can check for store locations??

Harry,
There website has a list of stores in Florida. Look under locations.
I don't remember if I used my company discount, but I may be able to hook you up. My company has a mine near Bartow along with a facility in Plant City, we flew over the mine at Bensen Days.

https://www.motionindustries.com

OK guys, several questions:

Fuel pumps, can you give me parts numbers?

Same for fuel filters.

I'm planning on using my A4 handheld for communication, but mounting it permanently. Buying the battery adapter that allows it to be hard wired into the electrical system. Will mount the antenna by the headlight, and use the antenna for my drift string. Two Lightspeed headsets just arrived. Which intercom system do I buy, and how do I wire the PTT switch on the stick into the intercom?

Also, I have the Don Parham suspension. Planning on moving my axle back 4", but it looks like it's going to be a major modification for his suspension system. Even if I leave the axle where it is, when I move the engine support bracket down the mast, the bracket is so wide it will not clear the spring shock absorber.

Has anyone out there moved a Parham suspension back 4" from original?

Radio power

Radio power

Mark
Don't know about the A4 but-I have an A5 and had to put in an auto cigarett adapter to bring the voltage down. Don't just hard wire it in you may fry it like I did. (opps well now you know how I know.)

OK guys, several questions:

Fuel pumps, can you give me parts numbers?

Same for fuel filters.

I have used these fuel pumps for almost nine years now and have had only one discrepancy and that was a minor fuel leak at the top fitting. I replaced it.

These pumps are the same as supplied in the RAF kit. NAPA Part No. 74021. I have these as dual pumps, installed on my machine.

I have used the same fuel filters...no replacements...for almost nine years as well. I do filter my gas as I fill the cans at the gas station.;) I don't have the part number handy right now , but I will try to get it next time I'm at Auto Zone.

Last edited:
Thanks Harry, that's a start. I get a good discount on whatever I buy from my NAPA buddy, so the more the merrier.

Hi Harry I find that by removing the seal very gently on one side and put in a little good bearing grease it well double the life of the bearing. See if that may helps. duu

Duane, nice to see you posting Sir.

My Mother, Brother and myself sure recall a very pleasnt time at Bensen days 1999. Especially the way the Raf team, yourself, Jim, lisa and Dick looked after us. Our Mother now in her 80's said that tiome was memerable. Again thanks.

Aussie Paul. :)

Last edited:
Hi Harry I find that by removing the seal very gently on one side and put in a little good bearing grease it well double the life of the bearing. See if that may helps. duu

I'm sorry Duane, I didn't see your post above, till today.

To be honest with you, I don't mess with sealed bearings if they go bad. I buy a new one.

With my RAF, I think it was on my 100 hr. maintenance, I found that grease had contaminated the whole front end of the timing belt system. I replaced all the bearings and the timing belt. On close inspection of the old bearings, I saw evidence of the seal being compromised, which I assumed to be, for the addition of grease.

I can see this as being an out for a land vehicle, but not with my butt in an air vehicle. I will just replace with new bearings.

Drive Belt

Drive Belt

Sounds good!

Any website where we can check for store locations??

I just ordered and received a new Gates drive belt (Item # 880-8M , 8M Power Grip® GT® 2 Neoprene) from http://www.beltcorp.com/ for $69.32 ... 2 day delivery. These are by the far the best drive belts I've used or heard about. They last longer than Goodyear or Jason.

That is a real good price. Thanks Jerry.

The first replacement belt I got was from a Gates dealer in Calif. and he soaked me about 140 dollars. Sent me the wrong size belt at that and had to send it back. What did I know back then??