RAF owners/drivers (Part II) - standard RAF, stabilator, and friends (NON-POLL)

Hey Dave,

It works for me and it will be great, as long as it lasts!!!!:D

Hi,
We could start on that part list. Who's got the list and what is it missing? I know a couple guys in the past have upgraded or directly replaced the stock alternator. I know there are lots of little mods out there too. Dave

Here's my rotor supports. The base is a disk (farm) with a pipe, an expandable paint pole with a drywall sanding pad.

Attachments

• RotorSupportBase.jpg
    RotorSupportBase.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
  • rotorsupporttop.jpg
    rotorsupporttop.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2
Dave,

Gary Kaminski of Chapter 73 put together a web page a couple years ago for RAF builders tips. There is also a section on recommendations for upgrades to OEM parts. Parts of it are now a little out of date, but there's some great info there:

Gary's Website

There's also a link to the greatest online gyroplane builder's log of all time, Tim Witham's RAF site.

Here is the current parts list. Same one that is on Gary's site. I havent really added anything as Im working on the keel mod.

Attachments

• RAF2000PartsList.xls
    27 KB · Views: 28
OK Dave.

I finally figured it out.:confused: . Maybe.

This thread will be for the good guys who fly the RAF. The other thread will be for the non-believers who do not fly the RAF. Hint...Hint.

And this thread will be for the newbies who are considering owning and flying the RAF?!

Cheers :)

There is a whole entire section on this forum for posts concerning RAF gyros. I don't understand why some of you feel the need to have one long thread with hundreds of posts to wade through instead of making one thread for one particular subject - such as a thread about what you are using to support the blades while hangared. You guys have a whole entire section here to work with.... Not to be disrespectful here, just making a common sence suggestion.

GyroRon said:
There is a whole entire section on this forum for posts concerning RAF gyros. I don't understand why some of you feel the need to have one long thread with hundreds of posts to wade through instead of making one thread for one particular subject - such as a thread about what you are using to support the blades while hangared. You guys have a whole entire section here to work with.... Not to be disrespectful here, just making a common sence suggestion.

Arrrrrrrr.........Ron,

let THEM, do what THEY want to do here, THEIR thread, and maybe your views of commonsence, ain't the same as THEIRS.............so what.

I reckin if I began a thread how to grow avacadoes sideways, you'd be there trying to control it, or the format etc etc etc............fair go mate, let go the rope a tad.

I can see threads begun that will require a password to enter them, to keep unwanted folks out of them.............that would be a shame.

It is a shame that every day, there are literally hundreds of hits here, but the VAST majority do not participate here..........that sayin something or what.
Yes...........they are intimidated by some posters, and the BULK of postings are from a very small number of members.

Russ I understand your point. It is just that in any other area of this forum if people want to discuss a certain topic they start a specific thread for that topic and hopefully that is all that is discussed there - Sure I know that alot of threads end up off topic or switching gears altogether but that is asides the point -

Look at all the GOOD info in Harrys last RAF thread " Raf owners and drivers " For someone wanting to learn from it that person would have to sift through several hundred posts that are about various issues with the RAF gyro. It makes for a long hard read and makes it harder to use the search feature. If there is a separate thread for each and every indivdual subject then the info posted there is easier for all to read and easier to search later and will be of greater benifit all everyone long term.

Look under the Sparrowhawk section of this forum.... notice that there is separate threads for each topic. Same with the Aircommand section, same with Dominator section, Same with rotorblades section, engines, avionics, etc....

I am sure alot of you RAF people will think I am just being a ass butting into your threads... Fair enough... But that is not my intention, I am just pointing out what seems obvious to me but maybe something some of you haven't considered.

Ron;

I see your point...and I agree...but...

We RAF'rs...owners, not RAF Marketing, would like it as is, but without interruptions.

Look back through a few RAF postings and you'll find that bashers, hi-jackers and non-contents jump right in. The intent of the thread is for people who are flying the RAF and those who are building and/or interested in building an RAF.

I don't think I have jumped into a specific thread, unless someone asked for general info or had a problem and asked for help. I have on occasion jumped into a thread, with some statistical data, in regards to a posting.

To the RAF pilots:

Saturday I replaced the Chinese bearings in the wheels for the third time.:mad: At the bearing store I told them I didn't want anymore Chinese bearings. I was told that China is the only supplier for this size bearing.:eek: Isn't that some shlt?!

Anyhow...while I had the wheel pants off, I thought I would take a couple photos of the mod I did on the inboard attach holes of the wheel fairings. This makes the removal/install of the pants real easy and fast.

I had previously posted this on the old thread, but, with no photos.

Attachments

• DSC00354.JPG
    DSC00354.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00356.JPG
    DSC00356.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 7
Ooh, very nice Harry.

Give me the bearing size Harry, and I will see what is out here.

Aussie Paul.:)

I think your bearing house didn't want to admit they were out or just didn't stock that size from anyone else. The result would have been the same...."No Sale." I replaced mine with better bearings after the Chinese one's pooped. No, I don't remember the brand.

Oh...I forgot to mention that in the second (inside) photo of the wheel pant...the black stuff in the photo is the undercoating I sprayed inside the wheel fairings. Sound deadener, plus.

WHEEL BEARING.

The number of the Chinese bearing is...99502 H.

The dimensions are:
OD is 1 3/8"
ID is 5/8*...Hole Dia.
Thickness is 3/8*

Fellow RAF friends,

What paint have you used in the past to paint the nice designs that I see on some machines?? IS it done by brush, or by spray paints?? Would like to do some nose art on my bird. Any thoughts or ideas how you may have painted yours--RAF?? Thanks.

Bill Briley
North Carolina

Tom Hall's Machine

Tom Hall's Machine

I'm posting these pics for Tom.

Tom can come on in here and fill in the commentary.:)

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0001-1.JPG
    DSCF0001-1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0002-1.JPG
    DSCF0002-1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 14
Some more pics of Tom's machine mod.

Attachments

• DSCF0004-1.JPG
    DSCF0004-1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 12
Harry,

I see the "OLD" new style seat tank and the "NEW" new style seat tank. How come? And, is the keel ext for mounting a HS?:confused: