RAF owners/drivers (Part II) - standard RAF, stabilator, and friends (NON-POLL)

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Try it, you may like it.

Try it, you may like it.

I am currently flying an MTO sport, the open cockpit is not my preferred because of the daily rains here in south Florida. I would like to bring a single passenger and I will not be doing long distance flying, I have built ships and cars so I concider my self mechanically inclined but I also know I do not have the time to build a gyro from the ground up! If I did have the time I would be building a little wing!! I like the pushers for the visibility they give and I am interested in the RAF because I see the many years and plethora of aftermarket solutions to design problems as a plus over all the newer models that haven't been hashed out. Regards and thanks again for all of your time.
Get a few hours of training in an RAF and see if you like it Leon.

Many people have had a satisfactory ownership experience with RAFs.

Flying in the rain can be hard on the prop and rotor.

Good maintenance and an understanding of the machine are important for all aircraft.

Good training is very important for any gyroplane as demonstrated in the NTSB reports.

All the best on your gyroplane adventure Leon!

Leonc

Thank you all, I will be popping in and out as my training progress I think after my training I will be hunting down some one to give me a ride in an RAF.

Leonc

So a thought crossed my mind and I would like the experienced people on this board to tell me that what I'm thinking is not applicable to gyros but a few years ago I worked on an all aluminum boat who's CG was so low that it made the moment of roll almost unbearable so we stuck some lead on top of the house and it lifted the CG enough to smooth out the moment, has any one thought about taking the fuel tank out from under the seat in the cabin and sticking the fuel in two smaller tanks on either side of the mast above the thrust line of the prop? Am I missing something other than the change in CG as the fuel gets burned?

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
has any one thought about taking the fuel tank out from under the seat in the cabin and sticking the fuel in two smaller tanks on either side of the mast above the thrust line of the prop? Am I missing something other than the change in CG as the fuel gets burned?
I've owned an RAF2000 for three years and 225 hours. I've toyed with the same idea you mentioned.
It would nearly kill "two birds with one stone", and be less hassle than dropping the keel, flipping the redrive, etc.
The mod would make the RAF look similar to a Bell 47 helicopter with its external fuel tanks.

The new space under the seat could be a luggage compartment.

The Boyer H-stab, however, still needs to be raised up, as it's beneath the propwash and thus only moderately effective.
A T-tailed H-stab may be worth the trouble, replacing the flimsy V-stab and rudder.

Regards, Kolibri