RAF owners/drivers (Part II) - standard RAF, stabilator, and friends (NON-POLL)

Motorized prerotator

Motorized prerotator

I was on youtube today and found this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukbGtD2LN-4&mode=related&search=

What made this soo interesting was the fact that the prerotator is powered with a seperate motor to the rotor. Seems very effecient on the short take off.:flame: . My question is why can't it be done with the normal prerotator on the RAF. Can the gear ratio be increased to attain the same effect?:noidea:

Another cable shredded.

Another cable shredded.

I shredded my third PR inner cable this morning.:sad:

I was on centerline and had just started rolling with the pr engaged when it went *kerplunk*...from prior experience, I knew what had happened. I looked at the rotor tach and it read 140...I thought...go on with the takeoff or pull off the runway?!

I decided to go on with the takeoff. By then the rpm was down to about 110. There was no wind to speak of, just a slight crosswind breeze. I played the rotor and the throttle and got it up to 135...but I ran out of remaining runway. Decided to turn off and taxi back to the takeoff point and try to build up rpm.

Taxiing back down, when I looked, I had built the rpm up to 154. Down at the end I made a fast turn onto the runway and started up the centerline again. We slowly built up rpm to 170 when she rocked back on the tail wheel...then I knew I had it made for takeoff.:D Had about 3000 ft. left to get airborne. I'm blessed with a 7500 ft. hard surface runway to use.

Didn't enjoy the flight too much as I knew that when I landed I would have to tear down the pr cable and order new parts.:mad: I should have acquired a new outer sheath when the first cable shredded, but...

So...I'll be grounded for a couple weeks while I wait for some new parts.

Cheers?!

More good stuff from Wayne Hubbs.

More good stuff from Wayne Hubbs.

I'm posting a couple more photos for Wayne.

I think Wayne is doing a terrific job on his machine.;) I can't wait to see it at Bensen Days '07?!

Keep those pics comin', Wayne. Keep us updated on the progress of your break-in.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• Project535.jpg
    Project535.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • Project536.jpg
    Project536.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4
Wayne:

Would you figure the sq.ft. of your horizontal stab, less the winglets of course, and let us know?!

That overhead shot makes it look *big*, don't you think?!

Great to see detailed pics. With the handbrakes, I would have left them independant to be able to apply a turning brake. Maybe loosly conected with a very small rodend or something like that.

Ken J's answer was to reach down and pull either side cable to help turn in a tight spot BUT geez a bit hard on the hands. I had to do that yesterday. I must not be a tough as the ol' Ken J.:D

Well my TIF for the morning has rung so off to work and them a lovely 45 min flight with several gyros to a nice big u/light grass strip to meet another couple of gyros pilots.

Pics tomorrow. I am flying Raf G-600 with the "bloody" stabiliator.

Aussie Paul. :)

Attachments

• Naels and Jabiru's.jpg
    Naels and Jabiru's.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Naels and Rogers office.jpg
    Naels and Rogers office.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Large is good bigger is better!!!!.....

Large is good bigger is better!!!!.....

I'm posting a couple more photos for Wayne.

I think Wayne is doing a terrific job on his machine.;) I can't wait to see it at Bensen Days '07?!

Keep those pics comin', Wayne. Keep us updated on the progress of your break-in.

.......with a stock Raf and its horrific thrust line to CoM offset, you cannot have an h/stab that is "TOO BIG".:blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :flame: :flame:

posting pica

posting pica

Going to give this one more try-My home field @ Guthrie Ok KGOK

Attachments

• 100_0146.jpg
    100_0146.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
One more time!

One more time!

If this works, I've done it twice in a row. AMZING!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0156.jpg
    100_0156.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1
Just one more time

Just one more time

If this works I will be amazed. Taken at a gathering last March.:yo:

Attachments

• 100_0039.jpg
    100_0039.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2
Hey! I bin to that runway befor! Nevr sene that fog thoe. :twitch:

Good pics Paul.

Harry, Did you have any luck getting the shuttle launch photo? Sorry to hear about your prerotator.

Harry, Did you have any luck getting the shuttle launch photo? Sorry to hear about your prerotator.

No luck on the launch photo, Tim.:p

It was a beautiful sky...but, too many white fluffy clouds in that 60 miles betwixt me and the launch site. By the time I did see the smoke trail above the clouds, it was already dissipating.

If this works I will be amazed. Taken at a gathering last March.:yo:

Paulp...Way t'go. Four of those six machines are RAF's. You guys must have a ball whenever you get together.:lol: :party:

Howdy Harry,

We all have a great time. By the way, exactly what happened to your pr cable? Did it twist in the center or at one of the ends. You may want to check in your area as these power drive cables are fairly common in machinery that is PTO driven. Most of the places that make these cables can also take your sheth ends and re-mount them. And, I will guarntee that it will be cheaper & faster than dealing with the folks in Canada.:peace:

Harry, i will measure my H / S tomorrow and figure the square in or ft. and get it on the forum. i would like to know for myself also. i will do the vertical area as well.

Paul, just give me another good idea of how to turn a tighter radius by pulling on a single cable and that might do in a pinch. i ran some test today on my turn radius and was suprised, as i was pleased. i can turn in a circle on our 45 ft. wide taxi-way with no problem. i now have over 5 hours of taxi time on my machine and would much prefer that over tied to a tree as in my first hour.

Harry, i put my H/S area in sq. ft that i measured today on the H/S thread but i will make it easier for the folks and put it here also.

the vertical fins measure 4.66 sq. ft. total for the two of them.

the H/S measured 9.10 sq. ft.

this is the air command H/S that i have installed on my raf-2000 build project.

the H/S measured 9.10 sq. ft.

this is the air command H/S that i have installed on my raf-2000 build project.

WOW...that sure beats my *barndoor* of 6.2 sq.ft.

I wonder if there is a *bigger* HS out there?

Howdy Harry,

We all have a great time. By the way, exactly what happened to your pr cable? Did it twist in the center or at one of the ends. You may want to check in your area as these power drive cables are fairly common in machinery that is PTO driven. Most of the places that make these cables can also take your sheth ends and re-mount them. And, I will guarntee that it will be cheaper & faster than dealing with the folks in Canada.:peace:

Well Paul; There's not much help...aviation type help...in this small town.

The first inner cable failure , I think, damaged the steel spiral liner in the sheath and the steel liner eventually did in the two subsequent cables. If I had replaced the outer sheath after the first failure, I may have been okay?!

I finally made contact with Dick Wunderlich today and ordered a new set, plus an extra cable. Dick said he would probably get 'em out to me today. How's that for service?!:D In addition to servicing you and me...Dick also makes the cables for the SHawk.

Oh...all three cable failures were at the severe bend going up to the bendix. Yesterday, I removed the extension from the PR and used the shorter shaft I had purchased from RAF and that will drastically improve the radius at that bend and utilize a shorter cable and solve my problem...hopefully...maybe...?!

He he he he he.....

He he he he he.....

WOW...that sure beats my *barndoor* of 6.2 sq.ft.

I wonder if there is a *bigger* HS out there?

....Harry, there does not need to be a bigger stab out there, what is needed is a smaller thrust to CoM offset!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Sorry Harry, the devil made me do it!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: