RAF Mast Bushings

paulp

paulp
Aircraft
Taylorcraft mod 19=RAF2000
Total Flight Time
3800+
Howdy Tribe,
Just got a new shipment of 15 RAF Mast bushings. I have already sold 5 so only 10 left. Price is $10.86/bushing+$5.75 for usps shipping for up to 3 bushings.

The price has gone up but it's still a lot cheaper than SA prices and a heck of a lot faster.

These are high quality urethane rings and have the correct shore rating.

I've sold about 50 of these over the last 3 years and my follow up has not found any complaints.

Just send me an email if your interested.

Last edited:

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Paul, what's the TBO of the original bushing from RAF. Trying to figure out when I'd need to replace it. There is just one per mast right? Stan V.

paulp

paulp
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
3800+
HI Stan,

RAF has advised that these bushings are a "time change" component but is very vague about when they should be changed other than saying that the bushing should be inspected during preflight and changed if "broken thru" or torn.

Service bulletin #17 dated 5/17/95 specifies this part as a time change component and should be inspected on a regular basis ex: every fifth flt (Whatever that means) but does not give a change out time.

Service bulletin # 23 dated 6/16/97 again indicates that this is a time change componet but does not give a time-life span or any recommendation for that matter.

Service bulletin # 25 dated 9/10/97, interestingly enough, is a product change out notice that requires the change out of the old style black rubber bushing and installing the new clear yellow urethane bushing.

I found no mention of a change out of this bushing in the 25, 50, 100, 200 or 500 hour inspections.(at least in the 2003 construction manual)

So much for follow up, attention to detail and customer support.

I change my mast bushing @ 150 hours. They still look good and are flexable
but being conservative doesn't hurt and it forces me to take a hard look at the cheek plates, spacers and the gimble head.

By the way, there is only one bushing and it's a bitch to change. I have to beat the bolt out with a hammer and then drive the old bushing out.

I hope that this helps. Any questions give me a call.

Blue skys and tailwinds.

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
Stan,

A while back, it was discovered that the original RAF bushings would literally melt into a gooey mass in hot, humid climates. I think Harry S. was the first one to report on it.

Don't know how long you've had your RAF, but living where you do, maybe take a look at your bushing every two years.

I had my original one for about 5 years, with no issues other than it was changing color, but changed out to one of Paul's anyway. I still have a spare one, just in case, because the price is so reasonable.

And Paul is right about accessing the bushing. It's one major pain in the kiester to get out, and I also had a lot of trouble keeping the nylon shims in place while getting the mast back together. So my advice is to buy one now, and replace it when you next check.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
I replaced mine 20 month ago with one of paul's bushings I inspected it today

and replaced it with a fresh spare,the old bushing looked fine, there was a crack on one side it was only about 1/8 " deep I could have rotated the bushing 90 degree's and still used it.I had more than 200 hrs on the old bushing.

The bushings that paul sell's are a quality product.They work fine and last a long time......

Best regards,eddie.....

'

Last edited:

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
A while back, it was discovered that the original RAF bushings would literally melt into a gooey mass in hot, humid climates. I think Harry S. was the first one to report on it.
I remember reading that thread, I don't have many hours on the RAF but its been in this warm climate for the 2 years I've owned it. I'll need to take a closer look at it. Thanks for the info. Stan V.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Found this one. Looks like it could have gone "gooey" at one time or another but not sure. Came out in two pieces. One thing is for sure, it's BAD.

Attachments

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE and Air Command Elite
Total Flight Time
I live in hot and humid north Florida.

After noticing a significant shift in the position of my mast in relation to the pencil line I traced along its length, I decided to look at the magic bushing.

I found a once gooey but then crumbling mass of brittle plastic. I had to use a chisel and hammer to remove it.

Replaced it with the newer yellowish bushing and have seen no movement of the mast since.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Does anyone have a drawing of how the bushed mast works?
Does it have a pivot point?

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Does anyone have a drawing of how the bushed mast works? Does it have a pivot point?
The best I could do is a drawing from the build manual.

The magic bushing goes in the top of the two holes at the bottom of the upper cheek plates.

There is an offset concentric insert in the lower of the two holes to adjust the angle of the mast depending on its position and which of the two holes selected.

Confused?

Attachments

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
The best I could do is a drawing from the build manual.

The magic bushing goes in the top of the two holes at the bottom of the upper cheek plates.

There is an offset concentric insert in the lower of the two holes to adjust the angle of the mast depending on its position and which of the two holes selected.

Confused?
And the 2 holes on the lower end gives (us RAF drivers) 4 positions to move the mast for hang adjustment. Real nice set up.

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Sent you an e-mail Paul. And what is a Talorcraft Mod RAF?

paulp

paulp
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
3800+
Hi Stan,

I fly an RAF and a Taylorcraft model 19(that is a bc-12D That has had some serious modifications to accomodate a C85-12 engine and has the gross weight adjusted up to 1500 lbs.)

I got your email and will have my last 2 bushings on the way to you this week. I have some more on order and hope to have them within 2-3 weeks.

I have no idea what a Taylorcraft Mod RAF is!!!

Hey Chris, you rascal; how are you? Your pic of that bushing is strange looking. The hole appears to be way off center and something appears to be stuck in it in one photo. What's the deal?

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Thanks for the drawing. Does the pivot point on the mast have some kind of solid block or bushings in the mast? Or does it just bolt through the square tube?

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thanks for the drawing. Does the pivot point on the mast have some kind of solid block or bushings in the mast? Or does it just bolt through the square tube?
There is a bushing that according to its orientation and which of the two holes you put the bolt through, will change the mast angle to the keel.

Attachments

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
There is a bushing that according to its orientation and which of the two holes you put the bolt through, will change the mast angle to the keel.
I believe that's the lower hole, the mast pivots on the uper bolt, of the two.

Last edited:

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Thanks guys! just trying to figure it out, that is pretty much what I thought, but I have never seen an RAF mast/cheek plate assy apart.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Hey Paul..!!! I think this bushing turned to "goo" and then pretty much hardened with the bolt "way" off center, against the wall if you will. It seems to have a mark where the bolt once was, but that must have been "a long, long time ago in a far off land". The new one was a transparent amber color and more flexible. The old one was hard and not transparent, at least not now.

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I believe that's the lower hole, the mast pivots on the uper bolt, of the two.
I guess it depends on which hole we're talking about.

The bushing with two holes that is rotated and that adjusts the angle of the mast is the bottom of the two holes through the cheek plate. The magic bushing is located between the two upper holes through the cheek plate.

We agree?