RAF Fuel Gauge

Aircraft
Cessna, and Stabilized RAF
Total Flight Time
I'm still looking for the instructions on how to set or adjust the RAF fuel guage. Anyone? Somebody? help! Please. :)

Curt

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Jeff, I looked that up. The sending unit I have is a little different. The part I'm interested in is the RAF Gauge with the little holes and LED's around the edge. The bottom two holes are used to set the lights, I think. I just don't know how to do that proceedure.

Curt

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
Hi Curt,

I was gonna give some tips on the fuel gauge till I read your post above. I don't have that particular gauge set-up but...

Do you have the original upright seat tank, the one with the filler at the top and fuel can be all the way to the filler? I can offer a couple tips on setting your gauge if you have this type seat tank.

Cheers :)

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Sorry Harry, being new to all this I'm not sure what the old/vs/new is. Mine is a 2002 model. Can't see through the tank. Fill tube is on top, left side. I'll try to get a photo of the tank, sending unit and gauge today. Maybe that will help. Don't give up on me yet. I think we're making progress. :)

Curt

Geoff D.

I was interested in the tips for setting the fuel gauge Harry.
I filled up my tank for a longer trip for the first time last week, and was surprised at how quick the gauge fell in the first twenty miles or so. That was until I got to thinking about the shape of the tank - then it became clear that I need to calibrate the gauge. Mine is the older tank with the high back.
So yes Harry, I would appreciate some tips.
Geoff

asmuzsr

Aircraft
RAF2000 with stab
Total Flight Time
Curt
I just faxed what I hvae for instructions and the diagram.
Same as the instructions given here. But at least you'll have the copy.

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
I was interested in the tips for setting the fuel gauge Harry.
I filled up my tank for a longer trip for the first time last week, and was surprised at how quick the gauge fell in the first twenty miles or so. That was until I got to thinking about the shape of the tank - then it became clear that I need to calibrate the gauge. Mine is the older tank with the high back.
So yes Harry, I would appreciate some tips.
Geoff
Hi Geoff,

First off...exactly where are you located? :D

OK, after many attempts to calibrate the fuel, I settled on this method. I'll try to itemize the procedure as best I can.

Your choice now...how many gallons do you want to show as "EMPTY" on the gauge. I personally would want a good reserve of 5 gal. when the gauge shows "EMPTY", but that's up to you, There's no need of "FULL" showing with 23 gal. on board and after 30 min. you're reading 1/2 tank?? So...

Block up the tail so that the keel is level.

Set or turn "both" pots to zero on the gauge.

Put in your fuel quantity of choice, say 2 to 5 gal. Ink mark that level on the front of the tank.

Set your pot to "EMPTY" on the gauge.

Put in an additional 5 gal or no more than what levels at the bottom of the seat. Ink mark that level on the tank.

Set your pot to "FULL" on the gauge.

You can now put an additional amount of fuel, up to the brim and your gauge will read "FULL" regardless of the amount added.

That tall seat back on the RAF holds approx. 12 gal. and if you set your gauge to "FULL" with that tall back full up, the gauge would probably read less than 1/2 after about 30 min. of flight.

With the above set-up you would still be reading "FULL" after about 2 hrs. of flight. Quite a difference?!

If you try this gauge set-up, let us know how it comes out for you. I might caution you...the trim pots are not too "accurate" to say the least but it will put you in the ballpark, so to speak.

Cheers :)

Geoff D.

Thanks for the prompt advice Harry. All makes sense.
I'm in the NE of the UK. After eight months of sheer frustration, I finally have a Permit to fly my RAF with the new Legge H Stab. We've had it test flown with the doors off; we've had it test flown with the doors on; we've fitted quick release pip pins to the doors; we've plastered it with placards; and, finally, the authorities have condescended to permit it to fly.
The machine flies so well with the stabiliser that I have started to make longer flights - hence the issue with the fuel gauge.
Thanks again.
Geoff