RAF carb heat

Gaylon

Aircraft
Roto Hawk Falcon I, PV1, VP2
Total Flight Time
Hi Guys,

My falcon has an EJ22 from an RAF. However, the carb heat is missing. Would some one mind to post a close up of your carb heat set up. I think I'm going to have to make my own.

Thanks

Gaylon

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.
Re:RAF carb heat

Gaylon, there should be quite a few around second hand due to the amount of fuel injection added to the Rafs. The exhaust was designed fir the carb heat set up but was a failure as cracks would develop internally and allow exhaust gases to go into the carby. These did a great job of blocking the air filter.

I lost 200 engine rpm once and it took me a while to find it. I removed the air filter as a last resort and it was black and blocked. As I operate off bitument I never thought of the air cleaner being blocked.

I welded a length of tube along the muffler and used flexible hose up to the air filter housing. You ahve to weld the tube all the way along otherwise there will not be enough heat transfere across to the tube.

Hope this helps.

Aussie Paul.

Gaylon

Aircraft
Roto Hawk Falcon I, PV1, VP2
Total Flight Time

Thanks, Paul

I found some flex pipe at the parts store today, but how do you incoperate the carb heat into the breather???

Gaylon

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Gaylon, if I have good progress tomorrow, I will try to remember to take some pics of the air cleaner that I removed when fitting the fuel injection.

Aussie Paul.