RAF 2000 short takeoff

I hope it looks tighter than what it really is. I don't know if I would try it with a passenger.

Nice flying though !

If the engine were to cough or go quiet during take off I see an opportunity

for another Capt. Sulley water landing.

What's needed on a short strip like this is a "Jump Hump". I have 1200' on one strip but can get airborne in 300' two up with only a light head wind. I have a small hump at 300'. Originally I was going to get rid of it and smooth it out but it has proven very useful. The jump is just an undulation not like the speed bumps. It seems purely by good luck to be in the right place and at the right height and angle and throws the aircraft sufficiently off the ground to loose the ground drag and hey presto - airborne. Push the nose down and get the speed goingand away she goes - a bit like the aircraft carrier jump ramp I guess but not so sophisticated!!!

Roy, is that your place? Looks like a longer " Runway " than Scotts.....

Did you buy a RAF2000?

What's needed on a short strip like this is a "Jump Hump". I have 1200' on one strip but can get airborne in 300' two up with only a light head wind. I have a small hump at 300'. Originally I was going to get rid of it and smooth it out but it has proven very useful. The jump is just an undulation not like the speed bumps. It seems purely by good luck to be in the right place and at the right height and angle and throws the aircraft sufficiently off the ground to loose the ground drag and hey presto - airborne. Push the nose down and get the speed goingand away she goes - a bit like the aircraft carrier jump ramp I guess but not so sophisticated!!!

UK aircraft carriers employ the same trick very successfully. Getting "tossed up" in the air is a very effective and safe mechanism for STO.

BTW...if you got ALL this $$$$ to spend on a SWEET enclosed machine, why do you not spend a few more dollars on a HS and make your machine bullet proof instread of an accident waiting to happen? PPO does exist. PIO does exist. Wind f--k-ups do exist. Get smart, man, get a HS. I mean, yeah, it flies fine...until it don't fly fine. Then...SURPRISE and you ain't equipped mechanically to handle the surprise. Seriously, man, get a HS on it. It will fly a LOT better. Do not fight it. IT is good for you. Cool vid, and cool flying.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't think I needed to bring it up, but yeah.... where is the H stab?

Is that Marty Weaver's gyro ?

Randy Rogers has a good HS for sale off his 2000. It's Yellow and would need very little cosmetic attention. Would look great on that beautiful machine.

Yes, I bought it from Marty Weaver.
Before you all roast me about no horizontal stab, I have one of Larry Boyers on order. It flies Ok without one but I recognize that a HS would make it a lot safer and wont be taking any passengers except my wife until I have installed one!
My first 600 hours in gyros were in an Air Command 532 with no HS so this feels stable in comparison. Looking forward to getting the HS soon though.

Last edited:
I spent some good times in that macine. Passed my practical in it in the Oklahoma winds.

I really liked the way it flew ! Have fun !

PS.....Thank you , Marty !

Roy, I'm watching the build videos from RAF Canada to learn more about each component. I just noticed that the build in the videos is your gyro. Did you know this? How cool.

Sweet place to fly from. always cool to fly from your own air field.

Nice Gyro, give us a report on how it handles with the new H stab.

Nice to see an RAF be flowen the way It was built for an enjoy,you will find the Boyer stab will take the work load of .Greatings from canada I am a new kid on the block Have read many postings an enjoyed ,some not as well .In joy your RAF a fine Machine.

Hi Roy!!!

That was an incredibly short takeoff, most excellent!!!

What a fantastic place to fly out of too!!!

Thanks for sharing the new ride and fun with us.

See Ya at Bensen Days!!!!

Roy- Great take offs......loved that over the water stuff..........cant wait to see you at Bensen Days. Make sure you open the carton of eggs this time! ha

Stan

Last edited: