RAF 2000 short takeoff

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
I hope it looks tighter than what it really is. I don't know if I would try it with a passenger.

Nice flying though !

SideKick

Aircraft
Air Command 447
Total Flight Time
11.5hrs dual in a RAF
If the engine were to cough or go quiet during take off I see an opportunity

for another Capt. Sulley water landing.

Skyjinks

Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
What's needed on a short strip like this is a "Jump Hump". I have 1200' on one strip but can get airborne in 300' two up with only a light head wind. I have a small hump at 300'. Originally I was going to get rid of it and smooth it out but it has proven very useful. The jump is just an undulation not like the speed bumps. It seems purely by good luck to be in the right place and at the right height and angle and throws the aircraft sufficiently off the ground to loose the ground drag and hey presto - airborne. Push the nose down and get the speed goingand away she goes - a bit like the aircraft carrier jump ramp I guess but not so sophisticated!!!

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Roy, is that your place? Looks like a longer " Runway " than Scotts.....

Did you buy a RAF2000?

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
What's needed on a short strip like this is a "Jump Hump". I have 1200' on one strip but can get airborne in 300' two up with only a light head wind. I have a small hump at 300'. Originally I was going to get rid of it and smooth it out but it has proven very useful. The jump is just an undulation not like the speed bumps. It seems purely by good luck to be in the right place and at the right height and angle and throws the aircraft sufficiently off the ground to loose the ground drag and hey presto - airborne. Push the nose down and get the speed goingand away she goes - a bit like the aircraft carrier jump ramp I guess but not so sophisticated!!!
UK aircraft carriers employ the same trick very successfully. Getting "tossed up" in the air is a very effective and safe mechanism for STO.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
BTW...if you got ALL this $$$$ to spend on a SWEET enclosed machine, why do you not spend a few more dollars on a HS and make your machine bullet proof instread of an accident waiting to happen? PPO does exist. PIO does exist. Wind f--k-ups do exist. Get smart, man, get a HS. I mean, yeah, it flies fine...until it don't fly fine. Then...SURPRISE and you ain't equipped mechanically to handle the surprise. Seriously, man, get a HS on it. It will fly a LOT better. Do not fight it. IT is good for you. Cool vid, and cool flying.

Last edited:

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Well, I didn't think I needed to bring it up, but yeah.... where is the H stab?

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Is that Marty Weaver's gyro ?

Russ Hobbs

Aircraft
Dominator Ultra white
Total Flight Time
30 Dual time
Randy Rogers has a good HS for sale off his 2000. It's Yellow and would need very little cosmetic attention. Would look great on that beautiful machine.

gyroav8r

Roy Davis
Aircraft
gyroplane, helicopter,seaplane,Boeing 757/767
Total Flight Time
Yes, I bought it from Marty Weaver.
Before you all roast me about no horizontal stab, I have one of Larry Boyers on order. It flies Ok without one but I recognize that a HS would make it a lot safer and wont be taking any passengers except my wife until I have installed one!
My first 600 hours in gyros were in an Air Command 532 with no HS so this feels stable in comparison. Looking forward to getting the HS soon though.

Last edited:

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
I spent some good times in that macine. Passed my practical in it in the Oklahoma winds.

I really liked the way it flew ! Have fun !

PS.....Thank you , Marty !

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Roy, I'm watching the build videos from RAF Canada to learn more about each component. I just noticed that the build in the videos is your gyro. Did you know this? How cool.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Sweet place to fly from. always cool to fly from your own air field.

Nice Gyro, give us a report on how it handles with the new H stab.

Bob Fraser

Aircraft
RAF 2000
Total Flight Time
605 HR
Nice to see an RAF be flowen the way It was built for an enjoy,you will find the Boyer stab will take the work load of .Greatings from canada I am a new kid on the block Have read many postings an enjoyed ,some not as well .In joy your RAF a fine Machine.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Roy!!!

That was an incredibly short takeoff, most excellent!!!

What a fantastic place to fly out of too!!!

Thanks for sharing the new ride and fun with us.

See Ya at Bensen Days!!!!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Roy- Great take offs......loved that over the water stuff..........cant wait to see you at Bensen Days. Make sure you open the carton of eggs this time! ha

Stan

Last edited: