RAF 2000 High Flare Landing with Suspsension

Looks like it saved a hard landing from being hard.

Brian that looked like it handled it very well.

How did it feel?

Looked like my usual. ;)

But be careful, dropn the machine on the tail wheel from a hight will stress the frame, rotorhead and may even cause the blades to touch the ground.
Iv added suspension to the tail wheel on the wasa with bout 4" travel for this reason.

Thanks Birdy. Had this thought as well. Not a habit for sure. But I'm interested in a tail wheel spring as you say.

Brian
Sorry but if your shock is like this and you are on the ground
You are bottomed out.

Every video I see you do a hard landing in you bottom out.
Your not feeling it because your tires are absorbing the hard impact.

Watch Tim’s video at the end over and over and watch how much impact your airframe is taking.
It’s not good.
Those shocks do help a little, just a little!
Just sayin.

Attachments

• bott.JPG
    bott.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
The RAF is designed to have a rigid landing gear so the stress the airframe and rotor system takes after the springs and tires do their thing is minimized. The video and my display of the suspension is not me saying "hey look how I can fly now"...I flare a lot lower. So take the video as an intention to show how the suspension aids during a high flare. Additionally, at BD it was an opportunity to show. Do not make a habit of flaring high. It's a simple landing suspension. Not a butterfly. But the suspension does allow the pilot to have a bit more of a flare window. Especially useful when landing in gust conditions.

Brian
Sorry but if your shock is like this and you are on the ground
You are bottomed out.

Every video I see you do a hard landing in you bottom out.
Your not feeling it because your tires are absorbing the hard impact.

Watch Tim’s video at the end over and over and watch how much impact your airframe is taking.
It’s not good.
Those shocks do help a little, just a little!
Just sayin.

Have you found a shock that meets your requirements yet? Have you installed the parts I sent you? I will be starting the next batch of kits soon so tell us what shock you would like to see used instead?
Thank you!

Rick
My shock of choice is going to be a custom air shock with compression and rebound adjustments.
I have four different manufactures I have called and two of them that are willing to make them for me, but as of yet I have not had the time to sit and get them the specs I would like.
Then I have had some other ideas like a custom made flat aluminum landing gear like some of the Euro gyros have, looks better and a lot cleaner.
Of course there are No adjustments, it would just be a spring landing gear.
But will have negative and positive travel, if you know what I mean.

So time will tell.

But a soon as I have it ready I will PM you and let you know what I have done.

Thanks for getting me the center section for my suspension project.

Riff RAf have you developed your idea any more? Interested in your last post. Thanks.

Riff RAf have you developed your idea any more? Interested in your last post. Thanks.

Brian
Not yet, I've been busy expanding my business.
But I'll let you know as soon as I get to that point.
I like your vids, by the way keep it up.
Thanks

I'll install whatever Rick is able to put together, but I'd love to see a shock that has more travel and a spring that isn't completely compressed by the gyro's own weight.

I'll install whatever Rick is able to put together, but I'd love to see a shock that has more travel and a spring that isn't completely compressed by the gyro's own weight.

Hello Stan,

Would you please share your reasons for wanting more travel and springs that aren’t completely compressed by the gyroplane’s weight?

I am trying to understand your goals for your gyroplane.

Thank you, Vance

Vance, more travel with a stiffer spring would enable more cushion. A stiffer spring would also allow the suspension to work during taxi and takeoff roll. What I noticed about Brian's suspension when I saw it at Wauchula was that the empty weight of the gyro completely compresses the suspension to its bottom stops. I still like the design and what cushion it does provide. But I think it could benefit from a little more travel and a longer, stiffer spring. Keep in mind, I'm flying off grass and would appreciate a smoother taxi and takeoff roll as well as a cushioned landing.

Controlling Roll?

Controlling Roll?

Thank you for the thoughtful reply Stan.

I am a suspension enthusiast and I can see the value of compression travel on a rough field.

How will you manage roll?

It seems to me that softer suspension would cause your gyroplane to be more susceptible to lean and this would exacerbate the tendency to diverge from the intended path on takeoff.

The RAFs seem over represented in rollover accidents. Most are on landing.

I don’t know how less roll resistance would impact this tendency.

The gyroplane I fly has fairly stiff suspension with friction for dampening. During a windy landing or if I turn off with some forward speed I can feel the gyroplane roll. It seems this would be more pronounced with softer suspension.

The gyroplane we are building will have oil dampened suspension with considerable roll resistance built in for just this reason.

This inquire is partly to challenge my choices.

Thank you, Vance