R22 vs Helicycle

Rotor Kop

Hello,

I would like to know from pilots who have flown both whether they can be flown in the same envelope? By this I mean that can one "throw" a helicycle around safely like we do with R22 and R44's in wildlife/cattle mustering? I cannot find any videos where a Helicycle is doing any abnormal flying.

Thanks in advance.

RK

wolfy

Gday RK For that type of flying I would suggest looking at the CH7 line of choppers, they will do anything!! and far superior to a helicycle in my opinion (owned both)

wolfy

birdy

Aircraft
open frame single seat & a 'wasa' RAF, among other types.
Total Flight Time
7000 odd, bout 5000 gyro
Iv never driven a turbine, but id imagion the risk of blown the candle out would mandate much more subtle power applications.
Subtle power changes means you cant ' throw it round'.

Nuthn like a snappy carb for instant increase.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
After seeing some of the very high turn rate maneuvers Birdy and other musterers perform, I would be concerned with precession forces on the compressor shaft. Its cantilevered out from the bearing, and with it turning 62000 rpm, that's a lot of precession forces going on if the helicopter is turning 90 degrees/second.

Rotor Kop

thank you Stan for an informative response. I do not fully understand what you are referring to but will look it up. Yes we do 180 degree turns in less than 2 seconds regularly in a matter of minutes. Jetrangers and Squirrels are also used no problem but they are heavy and don't turn as quick as they need to when driving certain species of game.

birdy

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
7000 odd, bout 5000 gyro
Its a good idea to try to keep yaw rates under 180* per scnd, ( cept for special occasions).
Rates of 270* or more, while definatly doable, should be avoided coz it can over/under speed the MR. ( unless your good enuf to compensate at the exact amount with throttle)
( yaw rate + or - rrpm)

Rotor Kop

Its a good idea to try to keep yaw rates under 180* per scnd, ( cept for special occasions).
Rates of 270* or more, while definatly doable, should be avoided coz it can over/under speed the MR. ( unless your good enuf to compensate at the exact amount with throttle)
( yaw rate + or - rrpm)
Birdy are you a muster pilot? I am a game capture pilot in South Africa. Would you use the helicycle for mustering?

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Ah - you're new here.

Birdy calls himself an SCG (simple cow grower?), and he's legendary on the forum for flinging both helis and gyros around to get his cattle to go where he wants them.

Rotor Kop

I am still hoping for a 1:1 reply on the Helicycle:R22 comparison with both being operated as a single seat with same load of fuel onboard - which one will have more power?

Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Rotorkop- The R22 will haul more payload, but that is not your question. Having each machine loaded with the same fuel amount and one pilot, the Helicycle accelerates quicker and I feel it turns quicker also. The R22 has 131 takeoff horsepower with 124 continuous. The Helicycle is at 100 horse ....unless you want to turn on more fuel to it.

The empty weight of the R22 is about 330 pounds more than the Helicycle. The rotor on the Helicycle spins much faster.

birdy

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
7000 odd, bout 5000 gyro
Just an uneducated gess RK, but theoreticaly, the HS should win hands down, mainly coz of the power/weight thingy for wot you want to do with it.
But in reality, as i mentioned earlier, the power responce rates between a few pistons and a turbine would be worlds apart.
As you know, wen you want full torque, you want now.
Not sure bout the snapn the throttle shut bit, but id recon wen you need quick responce, youll be chasen rrpm all over the clock.

wolfy

Here in Australia there is a HS that has a 6 cyl 120hp jabiru, he has the engine geared to do 3000rpm at 100% so approx 105hp, it is ALOT more powerful heli than a turbine version. Playing with 90% RRPM, recovery is as instant as you twist your wrist, piston power has torque. He also has it for sale.
In my opinion a turbo rotax could be an improvement for a turbine HS

wolfy

bones

Gold Member
Aircraft
a/c
Total Flight Time
cant remember, didnt have log books before, but since over 3000
But the 914 does have a couple of draw backs in this situation, not real problems but once your on to it it's good, I am talking about the 1-1.5 secs lag for the turbo to spool up, lead with the throttle just before you pull power and your good, top of the green is enough for things to work out.
The only other thing is the snappy on and off with the boost, if it could be remapped for a more gradual torque rate, would be spot on.

Rotor Kop

I am stuck with the turbine version and also think on the ratio where both machines are required to lift the same weight that the helicycle should have more available power due to its lighter AUW, even though the main rotor disc area is less in the helicycle the speed should make up for it. The "lag" on the turbine (and on turbos if they are allowed to rev under the boost area) is a concern.