R22 lessons

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
I know it is hard not to fixate on what has happened, but it is more important to be with the machine in the now time frame. A recent student was more concerned with "is the fuel pump on" and was not paying attention to the trees coming up. But as they say this are attention getters.

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
Stan,
You don't need to raise the collective too much to check the low rotor RPM warning horn, and when you are doing that check you should have both feet on the pedals. when the collective it off the down stop you should consider yourself flying. Use the left foot to lock the pedals in neutral up to the Needle split check.

The reason you raise the collective is to engage a microswitch that mutes the RRPM horn during startup, so you just need a bit of up collective to turn on the switch.

You can check how much up collective is needed to turn the switch on by sitting in the heli and turn on the master switch, take off the collective friction and raise the collective,You will hear the horn. That is as much as you need to raise it when you are burning and turning.

The check is not only to see if the horn is working but also to check when it goes off 97%RRPM plus or minus 1%

Lookin forward to meeting you in Mentone!
Paddy

Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
StanFoster

StanFoster

Paddy- Thanks for your input but let me clarify my situation. I had not even started raising the collective and was transitioning my left foot off of both pedals. I inadvertantly had my left 'hoof' applying left pedal before my right hoof was on the right pedal! I received the best lesson why not to do that! My instructor had told me this could happen and I saw first hand he was right! He also has demonstrated what you just said about raising the collective just a tad to show me the warning horn. Anyway, back in the R22 saddle, and better prepared with my self taught mistake under my belt! Stan

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Had another R22 lesson today...and I requested to have the last lesson repeated. I was much more in sync today.....did a bunch of autos....and he has me decide when to cut power and pick where I am going to land. I am getting the feel of it, and its starting to click with me. I hate to repeat myself...buf flying a helicopter is a freakin rush!

He said I was gaining every lesson except the last one....and I am now at 12.2 hours.

Next he had me do some slope touchdowns with finesse. I had to touch the uphill skid on the ground and fly the R22 with it level....then ease it over for a landing. These maneuvers are a lot of fun. Lifting off from a slope is interesting. The cyclic is vertical as you want the rotor level....and you slowly lift the collective and let the rotor lift the fuselage. The low skid comes up and you momentarily fly it again on one skid and then lift off. He wants no left/right or for/aft drift....and no heading change. It sounds simple...and looks simple.....but the first few times is a little awkward. But once the feeling comes in for it...it becomes real easy. You just have to be ahead of this exercise and think ahead of the helicopter.

At the end he let me do my favorite...what I call "off roading" That is just flying slow and low over some terrain, meandering about on a whim,,,checking out all kinds of stuff. There is just an undesribable feeling how cool being able to do this is. If I ever tire of helicopter flying...then something is wrong with me.

Here are some pictures I took. The first two are my instructor coming in with another student. This little R22 is kept hot. I cant get another lesson till the 21st. All the time slots got filled up. I booked heavy for the last two weeks of July as I want to get my 20 hours in so I can solo.

The last pictures were taken during my preengine start checklist. We were all strapped in and I had just turned the master switch on...and my instructor asked what kind of helicopter was coming in to land. I looked out my door and said its 3 Chinooks! We watched the awesome display and I just clicked the master off and told him I would start over after the commotion settled down.

Stan

Attachments

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Stan way to enjoy life, and thanks for letting us learn and enjoy it with you.

tyc

... At the end he let me do my favorite...what I call "off roading" That is just flying slow and low over some terrain, meandering about on a whim,,,checking out all kinds of stuff. There is just an undesribable feeling how cool being able to do this is.
I call that the "Magic Carpet Syndrome" and it's by no means unique to you. As for the "off roading" ... just flying slow and low ... meandering about on a whim ..." that's when you really begin to learn about rotorwing flying - that's when it starts to become second nature to you - as you go about out there freely floating on your "magic carpet."

Keep at it - the fun's hardly even begun!

tyc

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
tyc: Your post is very encouraging....and I like the "Magic Carpet Syndrome".

When you said "the funs hardly begun", that makes me get more wound than I already am. I have gotten e-mails from I would say a half a dozen helicopter pilots saying basically the same thing. One mentioned to me that he thought it humerous that I am enjoying it so much...and there is way much more to enjoy.

I am loving the whole adventure...even the "tough on myself" lessons...as I love to look back and see that I am learning steadily. All I have to do is go back early in this thread...and I can vividly remember the experiences and small steps I have beek acquiring getting the feel of these awesome machines.

But my heart and soul into flying these is really geared towards my "off roading" times that I know are ahead. I just want to learn to fly these things safely...staying in the proper height/velocity part of the chart...but flying that area of the chart down to many out of the way landings in god knows where. Just on my dads farms are many places I need to check out and report back to him about. I always gave him crop reports...but the slower and lower you can fly,...the more you can see.

I know lots of wide open flat banks along a river nearby....miles and miles...well...it goes clear to the gulf eventually...:p but I fly these all the time in my gyros I have had. I have always wanted to set down in many of these secluded spots. I know all the land owners around here and I will be seeking permission for making such landings. This capability just gets me all "wired" and I cant wait to experience this new freedom. I am planning on entering all these in my database in my gps and I should have lots of waypoints for legal setdowns. Sorry about my getting all lathered up again.

Stan

Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
My R22 instructor proved he is looking out for me and not trying to milk out my wallet. I am at 12.2 hours and he told me we better get my 3 hours cross country out of the way before I solo at 20 hours. Now...some guys would not have looked out for me like that. I was going to mention it at around 15 hours...but he beat me to it. He could have easily let me run out my 20 hours...then still get another 3 hours out of me after that just to get my cross country over with. He doesnt know this...but when I solo...he is going to get a nice gift card to Red Lobster or some nice place.

He said next lesson for me to plan a cross country. So...I bought me a current sectional today for this trip...and we will be going to my hometown of Paxton. He said he would let me land it on my lot next to my house after we do some airport work.

I am planning on taking several pictures and when I am closer to the ground...I will have him snap a few.

Stan

tyc

... I like the "Magic Carpet Syndrome".
... n", that makes me get more wound than I already am.
... I am enjoying it so much...and there is way much more to enjoy.
... But my heart and soul ... is really geared towards my "off roading" times that I know are ahead. ... but flying ... to many out of the way landings in god knows where.
... but the slower and lower you can fly,...the more you can see.
... I have always wanted to set down in many of these secluded spots.
Stan
The fun has indeed just begun and going "off roading" is pretty much what a good bit of it's all about as is the abillity to set it down in those "secluded spots" but beware - those machines have, do and will continue to attract unwanted attention by well meaning individuals who just might happen to be in the area - especially kids.

Used to take my pup flying with me when I just wanted to get away and go fishing for a weekend. Would pull the starboard seat and plop his pad in its place and after puttng his harness on him and tying it to the seat belt - off we'd go. The little guy seemed to enjoy it when he'd "put the woof" on those large geese we'd sometimes encounter on the way to the lake. Good memories - and you'll have them to - soon enough!

tyc

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Wow! What a freakin day. I am on my way to Homer Bells right now and cant post pictures till Sunday.

I did 1.9 hours of my required 3 hour cross country today. I flew my instructor down to my home town... I then took him to my woods with the chopper channel cut into it....to see his opinion. I was aprehensive and assumed he would say...that this would be for experienced only...or something like that. He actually said it was great. He however didnt want to mess with the channel...and he demonstrated landing in the hole itself. He then had me land it and said this would be a perfect high performance take off lesson. So, he told me to lift off and go to full manifold pressure which was 24.5 today and just lift out to we hit 40....then as we cleared the trees...I put in more speed.

Then we flew into my chopper channel turned around and flew back. He gave my situation his stamp of approval and thats all I needed.

I told him not to worry about me even thinking of lifting out of that hole with my Helicycle...just because it can. We were totally dependent on that Lycoming keeping us alive.....because we had a mess of solid trees we were climbing out of. He didnt think it was that big of a deal...but I did. I told him my channel is to hover taxi my helicopter out of the danger of those trees...then take off to altitude. He agreed it would be best.

Then he let me fly to my house and land on a 200 x 200 ft lot of mine. There is a state route on the south side of this lot with powerlines. He had me do a steep approach over the powerline and all went fine.

Just these two "off road" touch downs just made my day. I wish I had put my camera in the video mode,,but I will post pictures when I get back home from Homers.

Stan

helipaddy

Aircraft
Dominator, ELA 07, B206L4 and B407
Total Flight Time
Around 250 days
Glad to see you still have the buzz Stan!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Well your first taste of the future!
Sounds like too much fun to me.
Can't wait to see the pictures, have a great trip Stan!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Here are the pictures from my last R22 lesson ...enroute to my stairshop...

landing and taking off in the "hole" next to my shop.

By the way.....I bought a new camera....these pictures from my old camera just are not very clear or coloful enough. The new cameras pictures from Homers turned out real nice.

Stan

Attachments

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
This is my "chopper channel" that we are hover taxiing through. This is how I will exit from my "hole" next to my shop....instead of climbing out of that hole flying over the trees trusting the engine and supporting components to keep us from crashing.

Stan

Attachments

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
your haveing too much fun stan....lol

I bet your are really chomping at the bit to get your helicycle flying now.

So how did it feel to land in your own yard?

and what did your wife think when ya set that R-22 down.

JonVos

Aircraft
Modified CLT Air Command
Total Flight Time
Stan,
I'm not sure if your lawn means a whole lot to you, but just a word of advice. When you set down the 22 and are idling on the ground for your cooldown prior to shutdown, you're probably going to end up scorching the grass under the helicopter. The only reason I mention this is the last couple of times I was cutting my lawn, I was kinda puzzled at first because of all the brown spots all over the place... Then I finally figured out that the brown spots coincided with everywhere I'd landed over the last couple of weeks.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
How cool is that Stan, love the pictures don't care about the quality.
Tell us more about what you thought of the Helicycles and helio's you saw, did you get any pictures of the turbine engine tear down?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Knock, Knock!
Hello is anyone home!
We are waiting for our R22 lesson?

I said I thought you should take the day off after pouring the footing in 100+ degree heat, but I still thought you would post our lesson?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
John: I didnt have time to snap inflight pictures..but got these ground shots. Of course the R22, then there was a B-17, a B-24, and a P-51 parked on the tarmac. They were headed for OshKosh.

I am at 16.5 hours now with my R22 training...onle 3.5 hours till solo.

My instructor now me totally pe-flight without his final check over...and has me start up the R22 while he is in the office. I do all the checklist up to going to 104% .....so this gives me a new freedom and sense of responsibility. After the flight he also exits the craft and lets me do the full shutdown.

Today we flew to Lansing, Il...then on to Griffith in Indiana. I needed to have 1.1 more hours of cross country time to fullfill my 3 hours. I received 1.4 hours today....so thats out of the way! I noticed its harder to navigate with the charts in a helicopter...especially when you are still green at it. More reasons for a GPS in a helicopter. Anyway...I got us to my checkpoints with reasonable accuracy. I am learning how simple it is to lock in a certain manifold pressure...and friction up the collective. Then all you do is use the cyclic to stay on the numbers. I was locked in at 80 knots at 1500 feet and around 23 inches of manifold pressure. I noticed that say if I let the airspeed slow down...the altitude would gain....and vice versa. So...its real easy to correct any altitude drift by fore or aft cyclic. Its actually very easy. My hand is on the collective but only there should I have an engine failure...or my instructor chops the throttle!

He told me that Thursday lesson will be intense on my autos....180 degree autos...and hovering autos.... Should be fun.

I will be real close to solo right before Mentone...and that was my goal. I have had two lessons cancelled because of severe weather....and that has my goal slightly threatened.

Stan

Attachments