R&D Instumentation

cbonnerup

More Senior Every Day
Aircraft
Building a Gyro, modified J4B2
Total Flight Time
12 hrs PP; others as available
As I begin my build, I am seeking ideas for possible instrumentation to include not only for the engine, but other sensors that would prove useful to those of us who actually like looking at numbers...Kolibri comes to mind.

Being a physicist and research engineer, I am looking at this build process as an "experiment". I plan to collect all 'relevant' (flight attitude, stress on specific pieces, stick oscillations, etc.) data during Phase I and collate for possible further use. I assume that relevant means many things, but looking for 'stuff' that IS important (to some).

When the rolling frame is assembled I will begin a build thread.

Phase I used to be invisible; now I can barely see it WAYYYY out there on the prairie. Hope it doesn't move.

Stupid idea?
If not, then please post your suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, I applaud your thoroughness. If you're going to record the data you mention, also consider recording control inputs in a manner which can be synched later to match input and effect. It would require a way to digitize collective in two axes, power (engine RPM would work) and rudder inputs, but could allow fascinating analysis later, not just for your build but for studying gyroplane stability in general. It could even be used to better model flight simulation.

I'd also record rotor RPM.

Thank you Paul,
I've thought about the time-thing. Simultaneous sampling (or close) is important.
I'm thinking large data set at 500ms sampling. But that's what they make computers for.
For a 7200 sec test flight not too prodigious.

Appreciate much,
But rotor data will be HARD.
But it's an experiment.

Chris

Chris, I think you'll miss some important cause/effect if you only sample every half-second, especially in analyzing the lag of the rotor system or power changes. I'd go for 100 or even 50 milliseconds.

The rotor would require a couple of potentiometers, magnetic position sensors, or other means to detect position relative to the airframe in two planes. I bought a little box on the internet which can simultaneously record up to four channels of analog voltage to a USB port for $30, with the idea of trying to find a way to do this. They also have an eight channel box. John Rountree in Chapter 31 sourced something from the R/C model industry which is a self-contained attitude recorder, and there are similar devices available in a package the size of a USB stick.

We have lots of geeky fun toys these days!