Quiet in here

SMOF

Maybe it will pick up if I ask where to find other Bensen owners flying.

Way back when, pretty much every dry weekend there were Bensens and KBs flying at El Mirage dry lake in California. Miles and miles of flat, hard surface, surrounded by some of the most interesting landscape in the world. To the east were the jet fighters at George AFB, to the northwest was Edwards AFB, to the north was China Lake (the Navy's version of Edwards). Past Edwards was Mojave, where Burt Rutan and others were playing with some interesting stuff.

SMOF

The last time I drove by El Mirage (a couple of years ago), they had put a fence around the whole place. Are they charging gyro pilots to use it?

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
Yes, to go onto the lakebed you have to pay. I hanger at what you might remember as Kensal's

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I flew in an Archer and some of the folks at Kensal's unlocked the chain and drove on to the lake to hang out for just a few minuets.
The park ranger drove over to us and made the cars pay just to visit. She asked how I got here and I pointed an said I flew in the plane and she did not ask me to pay.
I can only assume that if you fly in you do not have to pay. Maybe because they know you have no way to taxi the plane to the office and park or drive through?

I've flown in several times and they have never asked me to pay.

Last edited:

Brent Drake

Gyroplane Instructor
Aircraft
Pipers/Cessna's/gyro's
Total Flight Time
3,000+
I have 2 Bensens with super Macs I fly on a regular basis.

Maybe it will pick up if I ask where to find other Bensen owners flying.

Way back when, pretty much every dry weekend there were Bensens and KBs flying at El Mirage dry lake in California. Miles and miles of flat, hard surface, surrounded by some of the most interesting landscape in the world. To the east were the jet fighters at George AFB, to the northwest was Edwards AFB, to the north was China Lake (the Navy's version of Edwards). Past Edwards was Mojave, where Burt Rutan and others were playing with some interesting stuff.

SMOF

Yes, to go onto the lakebed you have to pay. I hanger at what you might remember as Kensal's

I remember it as "somebody's" ranch (Wagner's?), if you mean the place that the Brocks bought. The reference in All-In's post about unlocking the chain makes me think that it is.

How much do they charge to get in? We just used to pick whatever road off of the paved road looked good.

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
It is not the Brock's place, about a half mile south, do you remember the chicken coops? We have about 10 hangers there.

It is $30 for 3 weeks or 90 for the year.

SMOF

The old off-white coops? I had forgotten them completely, and even now I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right place. Behind some tamaracks?

I was asking what the People's Republic of California charges to let you onto the land that we used to get onto free. I'm guessing that their fee is to cover the cost of all the "services" that nobody needed until they fenced the place off. ;)

You're a long way away from me now, but nobody's flying at the big dry lake near me, so if I want to socialize, I have to head somewhere else.

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
289 hours
They have a flyin at Alvorad lake bed, I am not sure if I spelled that right

jvan777

4318 Mac

4318 Mac

Hi : I am new to this sport and, am in the very early stages of building a Bensen style gyro. I have recently acquired a 4318 Mcculloch. Has anyone ever used a vacuum pulse style fuel pump on one of these engines? any information would be greatly appreciated as the motor did not come with a fuel pump. Thank's : Justin

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Justin!

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Justin!

In my experience a pulse pump will work on any two stroke engine.

It may take a lot of cranking to fill the float bowels.

I have not run a McCulloch.

PW_Plack

I was asking what the People's Republic of California charges to let you onto the land that we used to get onto free.

Its the federal Bureau of Land Management which charges, not the state.

I was on the Delamar Dry Lake (AKA "Texas Lake") last weekend, south of you near Alamo, NV, and it looked like it would be an awesome place to visit with a gyro. No fence yet.

phantom

I ran two pumps from evinrude outboards but you can run the round pumps that dual carb rotax runs too. I have a pump of an outboard that mixes the gas and oil that should work on a Mac but I have yet to test it.
Norm.

jvan777

What modifications are necessary to make the 4318 mac reliable ? and,where do you get the parts? I have herd everything from cutting the piston skirts to plating the cylinders and replacing bearings. I really wonder if the 503 rotax would be my best bet. I am only into the Mac for $200.00 and it would be a fun restoration project but, as far as trusting it with my life. Im not there yet.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
What modifications are necessary to make the 4318 mac reliable ? and,where do you get the parts? I have herd everything from cutting the piston skirts to plating the cylinders and replacing bearings. I really wonder if the 503 rotax would be my best bet. I am only into the Mac for $200.00 and it would be a fun restoration project but, as far as trusting it with my life. Im not there yet.

Based on antidotal evidence (I have never owned or flown a McCulloch) a properly maintained Rotax 503 may be more reliable than a McCulloch and can use a bigger propeller leading to more efficiency.

It doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun relationship with a McCulloch, only that it may be a stormy relationship as you learn how to care for her.

phantom

You first need to know what version of the Mac you have, if it's a stock drone engine there is much that needs to be done but if it's already been converted there's not a lot that needs doing, an engine that's not reliable is or shouldn't be though of as taking your life in your hands in a gyro, the engine is needed to continue your flight and has nothing to do with being able to land, you will not be stuck up there with a dead engine, you will land more or less on what ever your feet are covering so try to keep a landing area under your feet, this is what I learned with a Bensen rotor, dragon wings will do a little better but if you plan for what's under your feet you will reach it every time in a no wind condition , less with a head wind and more with a tail wind but you need extra hight to turn into the wind for landing.
Norm

SMOF

Its the federal Bureau of Land Management which charges, not the state.

I was on the Delamar Dry Lake (AKA "Texas Lake") last weekend, south of you near Alamo, NV, and it looked like it would be an awesome place to visit with a gyro. No fence yet.

That's a way south, but there's some incredible scenery around there. Up here, too. Once I have a good idea what the range of my gyro is, I've got some ideas for XCs and weekends at dry lakes. I also want to fly down to El Mirage sometime, with a stop at Manzanar, but I'm not sure about the fuel stops to and from.

Not too many fences around here.

jvan777

fuel pump

fuel pump

Where can You find the mechanical pump for the Mac 4318? is there a delco part # or, another pump that could be easily modified to work? Tkank's : Justin.