Question to C.Beaty

Georgi

Aircraft
gyro " Ultralight Bandit"
Hi, Chuck
Is metal surface just fine or there is better materials to use for contacting/braking a tire with a scrub brake?
Thank you. Georgi.

Steel is best, Georgi- Aluminum will erode rather quickly because of sand and grit on the tire surface.

Not state of the art but entirely adequate, especially if actuated by plastic lined bicycle cable.

I ran through the numbers before deciding on scrub brakes.

A 500 lb gyro traveling 20 mph has a kinetic energy of 6753 ft-lb. (1/2 mv²)

6753 ft-lb of kinetic energy equals 8.7 BTU.

Steel has a specific heat of 0.12 BTU/degree F/lb. Meaning 0.12 BTU will raise the temperature of 1 lb. of steel by 1ºF.

So, with each scrub brake pad dissipating ½ of the gyro’s kinetic energy and each pad weighing ~ ½ lb., we have 8.7/2 = 4.35 BTU/wheel and since each pad weighs ½ lb, it is (4.35 x 2)/0.12 = 72.5ºF over ambient, pretty warm but not hot enough to melt rubber.

And that’s ignoring the cooling of the pad during the stop via conduction, convection and radiation as well as the braking effort of the rotor.

Last edited:
Unbelievable!!!
I would never had thort there would be anyone who,d go to the trouble of workn out a mathamatical equasion to show the effectivness of dragn me foot on the ground.

Your a one ofa kind CB. :) :)

I agree with you, Birdy; scrub brakes aren’t all that important.

But when you’re lazy, 5 minutes of figurin’ can sometimes save you 5 days of cut-n-try, by-guess-by-gosh design.

But a bit of figurin’ on important stuff like rotorblade root attachments can save your neck.

Birdy , seeing now Chuck's formula you realize that " dragn me foot on the ground"in chinese tennis shoes will put you fast into the flames.

Yaw Mon this is like it used to be. I love this site and Chucks answers as the rest of you posts. Great learning thread!
Thank you!

I should have paid more attention in math class........wasted youth.....Thanks chuck! :D