FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
I have a Bensen B8M
with a continental 65 that is about 175lbs
if I wanted to install a new set up that has a total weight of 220lbs
with 140hp would my double mass Bensen take this setup weight?

and if it does how do I go about changing the dry and wet weight of this?
would I need new rotors? or just a extension bar would do the trick.

Info on new engine.

140 hp @ 2600 rpm
135 lbs Torque @ 2300 rpm
will be setup fuel injection with rev limiter to not go over 3000 rpm

My two bits. It's no longer a Bensen. Continental A65 is well over double the vibrating mass of the McCulloch. You're far over the designers gross weight limits. It's a totally new design when you make those many changes.

Your numbers seem off:

140 hp @ 2600 rpm = 282.8 ft/lbs of torque

135 ft/lbs torque @ 2300 rpm = 59.12 hp

Assuming direct drive figure 283 ft/lbs torque at the prop, over double what your original figures indicated.

It does not sound like it will weigh much more than a VW motor. You might need to change the check plates to get the stick right. I have heard of a 65 on a Bensen and it was good

If memory serves me the VW is about 160lbs, Continental C-85 185lbs without starter or alternator, A-65 maybe 10 less, Lycoming O-235 215 without starter or alternator. Mac is south of 100lbs. That airframe was designed for a gross <600lbs.

Maybe I'm a little conservative but my goal is saving weight not adding and sticking to the plans. The unsprung beam axle on the Bensen seems a little weak for the weights you suggest.

Wasn't the Barnett designed for a Continental or Lycoming? I'm surprised there's never been more Experimental Gyros designed from the start for a O-200 or O-320. They are great motors.

Last edited:
I bought a Mac powered Bensen back in December at an auction. The airframe ended up being junk. Elongated holes by the bushel, non-aircraft hardware, steel wheels, Steel nose wheel, 6061-T6 replaced with with soft aluminum angle.

The only thing useable were the blades, hubs, rotor head, joystick. Motors will work as rebuildable cores. The rest went in the recycle bin.

I started building a new airframe using KB-2 plans I bought in 1981.

That machine flew real well with the A 65 when I saw it flown by Agust Carlow.
I would fly it the way it is for a while and start working on another one if I wanted something different, I would replace the blades, I have a set that is the same age that are starting to delaminate so you need to check them carefully.
Norm.

I have about 150 hours behind an A-65 and 575 in front of a C-85. I fixed a lot of pesky oil leaks but they never let me down. The Stromberg carb is a nice simple carb that works really well.

I have a dismantled A-65 that needs the crank ground. I don't think I'd like it on Bensen airframe but I'd like it on a Gyro. I'd build it up as a A-80, balance it nice, electronic ignition and overturn it to about 2800rpm or even a bit more. It'd be a cruiser.

I might have to look for some Barnett plans someday. I like this video. This is a bit North of us but we have similar terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUMG8Z4fxXs&t=9s

John

Last edited:
Your numbers seem off:

Assuming direct drive figure 283 ft/lbs torque at the prop, over double what your original figures indicated.

custom built push rod race engine numbers are estimations. but very close

That machine flew real well with the A 65 when I saw it flown by Agust Carlow.
I would fly it the way it is for a while and start working on another one if I wanted something different, I would replace the blades, I have a set that is the same age that are starting to delaminate so you need to check them carefully.
Norm.

thanks for the warning with the blades.

I would love to fly that A65 but starting it scares my shoulders and my elbows and tendinitis. if it had a starter I would fly the A65.

I have about 150 hours behind an A-65 and 575 in front of a C-85. I fixed a lot of pesky oil leaks but they never let me down. The Stromberg carb is a nice simple carb that works really well.

I have a dismantled A-65 that needs the crank ground. I don't think I'd like it on Bensen airframe but I'd like it on a Gyro. I'd build it up as a A-80, balance it nice, electronic ignition and overturn it to about 2800rpm or even a bit more. It'd be a cruiser.

I might have to look for some Barnett plans someday. I like this video. This is a bit North of us but we have similar terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUMG8Z4fxXs&t=9s

John

Having a proper starter on my A65 would be awasome.

Your numbers seem off:

4 cylinder push rod engine

stock specs;

HP 100hp 2600 rpm
Torque 135lbs at 2300 rpm

more info
engine is 2.5 liter now .30in over with high torque racing cam
smaller c.c. 240psi compression

OK I found my info I was wrong on RPM for HP numbers.

CFI fuel injection
Horsepower 100 HP @ 4100 rpm
Torque 135lb-ft @ 2100 rpm

MPFI
Horsepower 100 HP @ 4400 rpm
Torque 135lb-ft @ 2600 rpm

so my RPM for HP was wrong.

Last edited:
Post #7:
6061-T6 replaced with with soft aluminum angle.

Are you saying that you replaced the 6061-T6 components, with a different grade of aluminum?

Are you saying that you replaced the 6061-T6 components, with a different grade of aluminum?

NO. It was on the airframe when I bought it at auction as well as having a bunch of non-AN hardware. I threw it all in the scrap pile and I'm starting over.