Putting a starter on a Mac

The flywheel is an old OMC or Johnson outboard . I think you could order a flywheel from Tom Milton and it would move the ring gear closer to the prop. also much lighter than the heavy cast alum piece.
Ford starters for a 2000 4.5 engine will fit Toms flywheel, I think. I will have to look it up. This is a 9 tooth pinion starter and Toms flywheel will match. Here are some general measurments to help you get started. An old Mac cylinder gasket will help get your brackets drilled correctly since it bolts to the two most rearward cylinder bolts on each side.

Attachments

• Mac Starter 1.jpg
    Mac Starter 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Mac Starter 3.jpg
    Mac Starter 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mac Starter 2.jpg
    Mac Starter 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
oophs I hope these drawing will up load

Attachments

• Mac Starter brk 1.jpg
    Mac Starter brk 1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mac Starter brk 3.jpg
    Mac Starter brk 3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
This should help you get started, no pun intended.:tape:

Attachments

• bracket 2.jpg
    bracket 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bracket 1.jpg
    Bracket 1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
I've got 4) 72's...two are intact and two are parts.
I plan on tweaking at least 2 to be used someday.
Rounding up parts, gaskets...and of course CASH for the tasks involved.
The machine I'm building right now is a Bensen style 8" drop keel with a 100Hp Subaru EA-82 & redrive/ 68" Warp Drive.

M-M

You are welcome for the drawings.
Dave had to make some modifications to the plate for Marion's prerotor. And he changed the starter as there was some inteference problems.

I love my drop keel Bensen, If I can get my small shop cleaned out where I can work again, I will build another one. Hopefully with the Weber engine.

Last edited:
mac electric flywheel

mac electric flywheel

Hey Steve, not sure, Marion bought the whole kit together. I will try and find out.

Hello I'm building a starter for my mac 72 hp and would sure like to know what the flywheel is off of in the pictures. It says a OMC or Johnson outboard motor. What HP engine and year of production would help. I'm also looking for a used prop for my mac which doesn't have to be airworthy. Any help would be apprieciated.

I did not try it, however, I think, Tom Miltons flywheel can be modified to fit the Mac hub and use a Ford 9 pinion tooth starter. That is the same style starter as on a Butterfly electric prerotor. (I think).
I am about to leave for a Flyin at Bastrop. If you have not found one when I return, I will see what I can come up with. The OMC was a 60s model I was told.

I am looking at the drawings and I see two of the back plates (same)
One side plate and the corner blocks... I think there is another side plate missing.
The machine shop told me I needed the other side..
Would it be too much to ask for help in getting the other side?

Thanks JD

I am looking at the drawings and I see two of the back plates (same)
One side plate and the corner blocks... I think there is another side plate missing.
The machine shop told me I needed the other side..
Would it be too much to ask for help in getting the other side?

Thanks JD

JD, you might have to fabricate on yourself. It should not be all to hard, just bolt up what you have take some measurements and make a new side plate. There might be someone on here that has one to copy.

the Two plates in post 23 ARE the Side plates. The blocks attach to the inside of the side plates and allow some adjustment in the slotted holes.

The two images in post 22 are the same picture. I did not think the first one uploaded , so I uploaded it twice by mistake.

the plate in Post 22 bolts to the two side plates. and the starter goes through it to engage the flywheel. Do not use the Ford starter in the pictures as the snout is too long. Use a Ford 2000 legacy type starter and you should be able to make it work well.

I apologize, there is only one side plate. I have looked on my computer and have not found the images yet.

If you print out the pictures you should be able to cut one out of cardboard and put up on your mac.
Then mark where it extends toward the prop. Take it off and put it on the other side and see what the difference is . the sides were the same except the length from the cylinder bolts was a little different. then transfer the difference to a new sheet of paper and you should have your template to cut in Alum.

Does that help ?

update for Jon

Thanks, Dave!