Prototype Autogyre bi-place (Full home made build, Not approved)

Brunopani

Hello,
I come to you because I need some help and advice. My dad started building an autogyre 9-10 years ago (It was to be the first diesel autogyro in France at that time). Years of hard work in our barn, thousands of hours, and a lot of money spent. Unfortunately an illness got the better of him and we end up with an autogyro almost finished but never approved. He was often in contact with Mr AVERSO near Toulouse.
We are cleaning up our house because we’re moving, but this autogyro is still there. I don't know anything about it, my father left us a big filing cabinet before leaving, notes and lots of invoices. Many parts have been machined, others bought, the engine comes from England.

We live in a small village in Meuse (Rupt sur Othain) close to Belgium and Luxembourg. I am available every day. He had built a trailer so if necessary, I can take him somewhere. I took some pictures, we have some videos also during the engine test time etc.

The engine is a WILKSCH WAN-120-800 Citec Engine (3 cylinders) + WILKSCH Airmotive CI-Log System (Engine display and data Logger System). It was 23,000 euros just for these 2 things there, We would like to get 20,000 euros and we offer all the rest of the autogyro, the blades, propellers, brake system, wheels, trailers. etc.. the buyer can finish the autogyre or sell some items of the projet. The set of invoices without my father's working hours exceeds 32/35,000 euros.

I have already contacted French forums. I have been asked for the weight so I am already giving you the information:
Rear left and right wheel 77kg x2
Front wheel 34kg
12.3kg x2 propellers
Total = 212.6kg with empty tank
Model : guepard bi-place
Blade length: 387.7cm

Attachments

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Sorry for your loss.

That is a very impressive project with many interesting features.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Good luck on your sale!

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Based on the info provided in Wikipedia (wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilksch_Airmotive), that engine should be OK if expectations aren't @ 100 hp as originally projected. IOW, if it could produce 85hp-90 hp using jet fuel, it still might be a good performer, since it has turbocharger to do so.

A lot of a gyroplane's performance directly is a result of how good a set of rotorblades it flys under. Adverso has an excellent reputation.

Other than the back of the cabin structure being a block instead of rounded for streamline airflow back from there over the engine & into the prop (& I am not saying I could do better!), it looks like your father put a great deal of effort & thought into his project!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
You can be proud of your father's work. Most impressive.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Now the harder to share financial analysis of the USA market.
To register it in the states a living builder working by themselves or in a group must finish 51% of the build with a builders log.
No way to do that in the states when she is finished and nothing to add with your father alive working with a new partner or group.
You could register it as an exhibition but flying is limited and not usually worth all the extra paperwork with each flight.

Also, the USA's similar market for Registered, flying, homemade RAF's and Sparrowhawks is they sell for $15,000 to $25,000. And not flying for $5,000 to $12,000 US dollars.
Then there is shipping = Selling RAF's for members in Hawaii or Alaska the crating and shipping was so expensive $3,000 to $6,000 from Alaska the owners had to reduce the sales price because no one would pay that much and could not find a local buyer.

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
PS:
One in Alaska donated it to PRA Chapter 31 and we paid $5,000+ to rent a one-way truck and dive her back through Canada. Awsome trip the Al-Can freeway but expensive. I only sleep 4 hours a night so I did not rent a hotel and therefore no cost for that or add another $500+.

Brunopani

Based on the info provided in Wikipedia (wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilksch_Airmotive), that engine should be OK if expectations aren't @ 100 hp as originally projected. IOW, if it could produce 85hp-90 hp using jet fuel, it still might be a good performer, since it has turbocharger to do so.

A lot of a gyroplane's performance directly is a result of how good a set of rotorblades it flys under. Adverso has an excellent reputation.

Other than the back of the cabin structure being a block instead of rounded for streamline airflow back from there over the engine & into the prop (& I am not saying I could do better!), it looks like your father put a great deal of effort & thought into his project!
My dad was a miticulous. It was his plan for his retirement. Unfortunatly the cancer take him off. Mr AVERSO called me 2 times, asked me some informations and explained me what is my best options : Sell some parts of the autogyre (but its too hard to dismantle the work of my dad) or sell the projet and loss more money that what he spent already.

Thanks all for your message. I cross my finger and hope I will find a crazy guy same like my dad and see this autogyre fly one day

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
My hope is that you'll find a diesel-engine-for-flying fanatic! There used to be a lot of excitement among flyers when this company made the airshow circuit.