Prop Shield

Mark Sanders

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
sparrow hawk
Total Flight Time
My Ivo prop is getting alot of gravel pits, it is time I did somthing about it before they get any worse. since I am taxing from the pavment, onto gravel and dirt, and back on pavment again, all the time I needed somthing to help protect. been thinking of ways to do the job and this is what a decided should help alot. although I have not test flown it yet it should'nt change a whole lot.

Attachments

• prop shield.jpg
    prop shield.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2
  • prop shield 2.jpg
    prop shield 2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
  • prop shield 3.jpg
    prop shield 3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2
  • prop shield 4.jpg
    prop shield 4.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2
Mark looks good but I believe vibration will cause a crack in your bend. If you could put some straps from center of your widest point on your gaurd back down to the keel you may be alright. If thats 6063 replace it with 5052. Make your straps out of 6061.

Hope this solves your prop damage.

Jake

Mark,
Instead of making two pieces that attach to the side of the keel could you make one piece that fits on top of the keel and then make a strap underneath to bolt it to on the outside of the keel so you're not drilling any holes in the keel?

Here's a photo of my rock guard on my KB-2. Although mine uses bolts going through the keel I wonder if it could be done with bolts sandwiching the keel on the outside instead.

Attachments

• IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Mark looks good but I believe vibration will cause a crack in your bend. If you could put some straps from center of your widest point on your gaurd back down to the keel you may be alright. If thats 6063 replace it with 5052. Make your straps out of 6061.

Hope this solves your prop damage.

Jake
Thanks for the tip Jake the plates are 1/8" 5052, I will fly for awhile first to and if a crack appears I will replace and strap.

Mark,
Instead of making two pieces that attach to the side of the keel could you make one piece that fits on top of the keel and then make a strap underneath to bolt it to on the outside of the keel so you're not drilling any holes in the keel?

Here's a photo of my rock guard on my KB-2. Although mine uses bolts going through the keel I wonder if it could be done with bolts sandwiching the keel on the outside instead.
Hey Tim I already drilled and riveted. this will be permanant and should ad strengh. I run all the differnt ways of installing the shield before I came to this dicition now its reality and will help alot.

Mark, i think youll find that that gaurd wont be very effective, coz iv tryed a few in the same place of different shapes n sizes, all to no good.
BUT, iv now got shade cloth on both machines, streched between the mains and back under the prop, and see'n as iv never seen a sealed strip for over 4 years [ allways opperating off dirt/gravel it seems to do the job.
Also, most of the stuff that hits the prop is flung up by the frunt wheel, or off the mains.
Both props would have over 300 hours on um now, and still look pretty new.

Birdy that sounds like a great idea, as they say proof of the pudding...

You wouldn't be able to post a pic for us please. If not just a basic description of size and how you've fastened it would do.

Birdy

As one of the holy cow something is eating my prop club, I would welcome seeing how you did the screening.

Is a faring on the front wheel of value?

Birdy i would like to see also your set up. I understand that the shield that I installed will not stop every grain of sand but it is a start was also thinking of makeing a mud flap for the nose wheel.

Problem with mud flap/guard is drag, and a fairing on gyro front wheels not often a practical fit

What would work but isn't available is a chine on the front tire like they do on some exec jets which deflects out water and small gravel away from the engine inlets. Shade netting however which is porous sounds as though it offers some good possibilities.

Blokes, i would post a pic[ coz itd save time] but i cant, im too dumb and the missus is away.

Im spons'n you all know wot im calln 'shade cloth'?
Iv seen it on trikes [ powered hang gliders], and iv dun the same.
Just cut a square pice big enuf to stretch oppoiste corners to reach each main, or near enuff to.
The other opposite corners are anchered under the keel, one just behind the prop disc and the other just behind the nose wheel.
Fastening is easy, a bag of zip ties will do it. ;)

Is a faring on the front wheel of value?
Usualy not, coz anythn the nose wheel kicks up will just bounce off the faring, off the ground and into the prop. [ where else would it go ;)]

Mark, them annoyn little wirly winds that spin up under ya prop wen its stationary will still be there with your sheild, and still sand blast it.

With the shade cloth and spats[mains] on the wasa, nuthn gets into the prop now. :) [not even a fresh cow sh1t :)]

One or two threads where some 'shade cloth' would come in handy Birdy.

Thanks for that.

Does the shade cloth produce a lot of wind drag?
Even with the old benson shield under the prop, I still destroyed one with a sand stone. So yes, i like your shade cloth idea.

Nuthn youd notice ona draggy gyro Misfit.

Problem with mud flap/guard is drag, and a fairing on gyro front wheels not often a practical fit

What would work but isn't available is a chine on the front tire like they do on some exec jets which deflects out water and small gravel away from the engine inlets. Shade netting however which is porous sounds as though it offers some good possibilities.
If a rubber flap is positioned behind the nose wheel it should not produce much drag cause the wheel is breaking the wind.

Shade clothe would have to be a big peice to cover the bottom of my gyro and would not be practical. and if for some reason she should come loose and wrap around the prop could be bad.