Problems with the publication deadlines and the agreed upon number of issues.

Tim, I understand that you are disappointed by the differences between what you thought we would be getting with the magazine merger compared to what we are getting, but realistically, sending a bunch of inserts in the mag for about 1/4 (or less) of the readers is very expensive, the number of issues is no less than before and, if we get 11, actually more than before. The quality is very high and it's color, and there is far more content, so, I don't have any complaint about it at all now.

I agree with Ron about the website. It shouldn't take this long. Give it to someone who will actually do it, farm it out, or give up on it.

I think at this time that not having the board of director election ballot available for the members prior to Mentone is probably the most disappointing to me. I'm assuming that there will still be an election.

I'm surprised, but glad, to hear of the increase in membership as a result of the magazine. It seems a little strange to me that there is this increase when people can just get the mag without joining the PRA. Maybe people are starting to understand that the real value of the PRA isn't the magazine but the intangibles such as representing us with the FAA.

There is one other item, if true and I have no reason to believe it is not, that disappoints me and that is the PRA doesn't get any revenue out of the new mag from the rotorcraft vendors or others who placed ads in the old PRA mag. Then apparently it was a surprise to the new publisher that the PRA is an international organization so he was going to have to pay international mailing rates for those outside the U.S. The fact that the change over happened relatively quick is probably the reason for all this. But, I don't think any of this means it was a bad decision and the new mag certainly looks good. I just hope that the new 20% sticks with us and even more join.

Now, as far as the web site; give John a break!

There were at least three PRA web masters before John offered his services. Two and a half years seem like a long time but the other three made an effort for probably 10+ and we never did get it right. I'm not knocking their effort since they did what they could, the best they could. People 10 years ago didn't have the feel for the value of a web site like they do now so didn't attach as much import to it.

If I recall correctly, one of the first thing John did was ask his customers (us!) for input. This should have been done before he even got involved. Input provides the shape and model for the web site and if the customer doesn't know what he wants then it is difficult for the web designer. So, there was an on going evolution going on before John got involved and he accelerated it. Those who think the web site development should have been paid for and finished quicker should have been the first to volunteer for a web site funding drive. If the PRA had been financially able then we wouldn't have needed John or any other volunteer. And that brings up a point, John also acts as the PRA volunteer coordinator which takes time away from web site work.

The value John adds is that he is one of us. That means he is responsive to our wants, he understands what we are asking for and then spends the most important thing he has, time, working for us. I, for one, appreciate his efforts and look forward to the product he delivers.

The rocky transition of the magazine is deja vu all over again.

When Bensen cut the PRA adrift in 1973, the California crew who took over (Bob Thomas, Ken Brock, et al) did not receive the materials and support they had expected from North Carolina. They got magazines out anyway (some of the most interesting ones in PRA history, in fact), but it was a wobbly time for the old mag.

Perhaps if we stress the need with our new partners to be sure next year's summer issues are not combined or mailed late...

What is preventing our PRA from mailing out voting ballots? (money, most likely)

The new distribution of gyro info and pix to our cousins in the air is the perfect mix. We now reach those who will cross the line from chutes etc and enter the gyro class.

Speaking from my own experience, I was NOT looking for a gyro when I got into this sport. I was looking for a cheap Dragonfly or some other form of 90 mph ultralight aircraft. I STUMBLED upon used gyros and when I realized they were far cheaper and far more maneuverable, I jumped ship. I am a happy convert.

There will be more.

Now, as far as the web site; give John a break!

The value John adds is that he is one of us. That means he is responsive to our wants, he understands what we are asking for and then spends the most important thing he has, time, working for us. I, for one, appreciate his efforts and look forward to the product he delivers.

I completely agree with you Dean. John has also been hit with a bunch of extra work because of the new Microsoft changes....something which seems to never end. I am grateful to him for all he has and is doing for the PRA.

PRA mag problems

PRA mag problems

I have recieved two and both were contaminated with things that were not real flying machines because they didn't have rotors but I am going to wait for one year and see what happens before I give up my PRA membership. I hope I am the only one who feels this way.

Norm

Well Norm.....my last issue was waaaay back in May....nothing since. Just received my renewal notice saying "you won't want to miss a single issue....". Right.

I've decided to also give it one more year and see what happens....

I'm surprised, but glad, to hear of the increase in membership as a result of the magazine. It seems a little strange to me that there is this increase when people can just get the mag without joining the PRA. Maybe people are starting to understand that the real value of the PRA isn't the magazine but the intangibles such as representing us with the FAA.

Dean,
I'm glad to hear that you are surprised by this. I've been beating the free information drum for what little time I have been in the sport. Locking the information up in any way shape or form is the worst thing that can happen to us. Its probably the reason why things are in a dire straits as they are as it is.

I also now have some evidence to support my drum beating. We have had EXCELLENT response from making the Chapter 13 newsletter available for free. We've had more interest in the 3-4 weeks that we have done that than in the entire rest of the time I have been a member in the Chapter. That will definitely translate into more work for the CFI's at some point in the future.

There simply is no other form of aviation where the information is held as tightly to the chest as it has PREVIOUSLY been in the gyro world. Magazines, pictures, newsletters, and members active in the community FREELY offering information is like gold. It is absolutely the best advertising that can be done. In fact, its probably less like advertising and more like drug dealing. They get enough information to become hooked, then the next steps of actually joining the local and national clubs and seeing a CFI for lessons are the natural progression into full blown dependency.

Greg

Your idea about a "mailing of ballots" by itself by PRA just might be a good solution next year if the postage is not to much, (going up you know).

Tony

...We have had EXCELLENT response from making the Chapter 13 newsletter available for free. We've had more interest in the 3-4 weeks that we have done that than in the entire rest of the time I have been a member in the Chapter...

An interesting debate usually breaks out if you try to move to make your chapter's newsletter available online. Many members will fear others will stop paying dues and just get the newsletter free off the website. Yet, if you ask those very people if they intend to stop paying dues, most will pause, reflect for a moment, and agree there are more important reasons they support the group.

If your chapter (or non-PRA-affiliated group) is chartered on the premise of growing the sport, encouraging wider distribution of your newsletter is a great tool to do that. If you need to make the case that your group is worth supporting with dues, there are these two basic approaches regarding the newsletter:

"If you join and support us with dues, you'll receive our chapter newsletter for the coming year."

Or...

"By supporting us with dues, you'll help make it possible to reach hundreds of newcomers with our chapter newsletter in the coming year."

I know which I'd rather sell!

The fact is it's tedious to remind yourself to go to the website and download the newsletter when a new one comes out. Getting it sent by e-mail or snail-mail without having to remember each month or quarter is a logical benefit to reserve for dues-paying members. But for the newbie who's just becoming interested and finds your website, having access to news of your next meeting and recent activities is very compelling.

We make it a point to reply to anyone who inquires about Chapter 2 with the latest newsletter in PDF form as an attachment, and a suggestion to join the group to receive it automatically each month. Newcomers seem very excited to get it. Especially if you combine it with the ability to join and pay dues online, as we do through the website using PayPal, you may be surprised how many people will be moved to join right then and there.

I'm not at all surprised to hear that PRA has had membership growth as a result of wider exposure in PSF magazine. This could be partly from disenchanted former members returning because of the improved magazine, but it surely is at least partly a result of the other recipients of the magazine being exposed to gyroplanes and the PRA. The challenge now becomes bringing them value for the extra $13/year they pay to be PRA members, above the $37 they were already paying to get the magazine.

Making the electronic version of your chapter's newsletter available free for the download also does at least two other things I like. It keeps some pressure on the group to create all the other member benefits a chapter should be providing. And it holds the potential to increase your circulation, which could eventually reach the point at which support from advertisers may be possible.

Last edited: