Problem with CLT?

Birdy, you said: "But when I suddenly open the tap on the 914, push'n a Ivo magnum,the RAF want's to do a tunnel roll down the road."

This is what I am experiencing too. I feel better knowing that I'm not alone. Looks like it's just something I need to get used to and be aware of.

Thanks.

Yeh,it's no way near as bad when you fly it off gently,but when you gota git off short you find out real quick wot 115 angry horses feel like.

joeheli said:
So guys... Correct me if I am wrong. The torque of my engine will make my gyro nose to drift to my left (with a mac). and on take off will make the gyro to try to flip over the left hand side too? (same direction that drift the gyro nose).

Jose,

On your Bensen the spiraling slipstream comes off of your prop, striking the left side of the rudder, causing the nose to yaw to the left. You'll have to hold some right rudder to counteract this. You can also rig your rudder cables with the right cable shorter than the left so that when your rudder pedals are in the neutral position, your rudder is cocked over to the right. Mine is like that, and I believe Bensen called for a 10º offset (but I don't have the construction manual handy).

However the torque of the engine (counter-clockwise rotation as viewed from the rear) will tend to roll the frame to the right, requiring left stick to counteract. It's most noticable on take off at full power, less so during cruise. Again, you can adjust the rigging with the right push-pull tube a little longer than the left with the stick in the neutral position. I think I did mine this way, but without measuring I can't be certain.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

Mike: On my RAF...I had to rig the rotor head as you described...by tilting it to the left side by 1-2 degrees.

The need for right rudder is easily felt on takeoff. In case someone here doesnt know...the RAF's prop and engine turns CCW from the rear.

Stan

gyromike said:
However the torque of the engine (counter-clockwise rotation as viewed from the rear) will tend to roll the frame to the right, requiring left stick to counteract. It's most noticable on take off at full power, less so during cruise.

Mike, my rudder already has the 10 degree offset with the rudder pedal on neutral. I ask if the frame will tend to roll because I know the theory
that "any force has a opposite force (torque)" this will tend to roll the frame to the other side of the prop movement, but I really don't remember if I did it the first time that I did my first hops, I don't recall if I move my cyclic stick to compensate that torque. ( maybe I did it with instinct movement :D ). Thank you Mike for recalling me that ;) !

Jose,

I've found that on the Mac powered machines you won't feel the torque roll as much as you would a Rotax powered machine. We are spinning smaller diameter props in the 50" range vs. 60 inchers on the Rotaxes.

If you weren't at full power on your crow hops the effect may have been negligible, and easily compensated for.

I flew a 582 powered KB-3, and it felt as though I had full left rudder and right stick on takeoff! Large prop and little rudder makes it more noticable.