Utah location-Price dropped again to $4,000. Hope to sell fast this Summer 2019! Original complete 3DRV gyroplane ultralight by Monte Hoskins

BillWW

I have owned this original completed 3DRV gyroplane built personally from Monty Hoskins for many years. Have stored it for many years in my garage. I have many videos of it flying and also the build manual along with wood blade plans from him as well. I have lost interest in taking flight training. Would like to sell this original aircraft. It runs well. Not sure how much it is worth. Make best offer? Aircraft has a 503 Rotax dual carb engine with b reduction 2.58 drive. Also Warp drive prop. Complete aircraft. Could send photos for serious buyer. It Flys very well and I have a lot of video of it flying by Monty Hoskins. Thanks Bill

You should post pics here Bill.
Serious buyers don't jump through hoops the seller does.

No Title

Here is Monty's last built gyroplane prototype that he also sold CAD developed plans for at one time to build this gyroplane. He was a gifted machinist. I believe to build this aircraft would be a lot for all of the machine work etc... Definitely a lot better than I could ever build in the future.

There are a lot of custom brackets to each part. I did not like his original muffler. Essentially a glass pack muffler with the same length as a Rotax muffler.

I had welded up a Rotax muffler after trial fitting it. The 503 dual Bing carbed engine ran much smoother and had a broader power curve with the stock Rotax muffler. Monty used ring inserts in his muffler to tune the back pressure. I personally after trying both only would suggest the stock Rotax muffler as I will include it in the sale. The main rotor blades are Benson blades. 10 feet long each with a 5 foot long hub bar. The blades are in wood crates. Not shown. Need to get some help to lift them out for photos possibly Monday. The prop is a 64 inch Warp drive prop. Again 2.58 to 1 Rotax b reduction.

I am located in Utah. Prefer if someone would pick it up in person with their own trailer.
​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo130528.jpg
    photo130528.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 544
  • photo130529.jpg
    photo130529.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 533
  • photo130531.jpg
    photo130531.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 450
  • photo130532.jpg
    photo130532.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 420
No Title

Here are some fine machined details. Look at the custom bracket to the airspeed indicator and custom throttle with choke.

Attachments

• photo130546.jpg
    photo130546.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 180
  • photo130547.jpg
    photo130547.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 175
No Title

Here are some photos of the engine cylinders during removal of his glass pack muffler. Monty had flown about 25 to 30 hours on his aircraft before selling it to me. I used to hang out while he flew it. He injured his back at his machining job, so could no longer fly. I have kept it all these years, but realize I'm just storing it and not really using it. I hope someone who appreciates such an aircraft and committed to flight training and or someone who wants to spend less time building could benefit from this more modern safer designed aircraft. It has a higher center if thrust line, so decreased risk of powered push overs. He sold a couple hundred plans of this aircraft along with wood blade plans that I would include with this aircraft. I believe he eventually sold his plans rights to Rotor hawk from memory. So, this was his last built aircraft/protype.

Attachments

• photo130548.jpg
    photo130548.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 65
  • photo130549.jpg
    photo130549.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 64
  • photo130550.jpg
    photo130550.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 63
Someone asked how much i wanted. Not sure what it is worth? Complete aircraft with everything to fly. It still needs new hoses. But other than that it is complete as when Monte Hoskins flew it. How's $6,500.00 or best offer?

No Title

The 5 foot hub bar is wrapped in felt carpet liner on top of the wood crate which holds 2 10 foot Benson main rotor blades. If you have thought about saving time instead of building. This complete aircraft could save you a lot of time building. And instead you could be flying or taking lessons sooner. Make any reasonable offer for this original 3DRV ultralight. This has been garaged all of its life other than when Monte flew it. I have no kids, so this aircraft has had no damage from kids playing on it.

Attachments

• photo130706.jpg
    photo130706.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 123
No Title

I will include my original assembly manual with the included plans. It entails the exact CAD drawings in a separate bound book. And also the separate assembly manual.

I will include also my original manual on how Monte Hoskins built wood blades for his prior Benson styled aircraft prior to him building this taller center of gravity thrust line safer aircraft for decreased risk for powered push overs.

Attachments

• photo130709.jpg
    photo130709.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hey Bill Im here in Tremonton, have been for 3 years. Selling my house and moving on again. Good to see you still have the old machine. If my buddy Steve hadn't sold his I might have bought it back from you so he and I could go flying together. take care, if someone needs in for on the machine let me know. thanks

I had a deal fall through last year. Decided to wait to sell with better summer weather to sell this wonderful aircraft. I have watched it fly many times with the original owner. I really hate to sell this wonderful aircraft. It flies in windy conditions that a paraglider would not be flyable in. Meaning pilots can get much more flights in compared to a motor paraglider that is only good in early morning calmer winds.

I told my wife, i would sell this aircraft last year, but I had a buyer who decided not to buy it. He wanted a pre-rotator. So, I'll drop the price and hope someone could have a completed aircraft and not need to build! Last year I was asking $6,500.00. I will drop it to $5,000.00 to get a faster sale this summer. That way you could buy a pre-rotator or just save money if you just want to reach up and stand on the side of the seat to spool the main rotor up.

Regards, Bill

Hey Bill Im here in Tremonton, have been for 3 years. Selling my house and moving on again. Good to see you still have the old machine. If my buddy Steve hadn't sold his I might have bought it back from you so he and I could go flying together. take care, if someone needs in for on the machine let me know. thanks
Monte,

Just saw your post. Yes. I was friends with Steve as well. He said he wished there were more pilots to go flying with. I realize I have been hauling this aircraft everywhere I have moved. I still like looking at it in the garage and marvel at its workmanship. Lots of memories with friends who used to fly, while I video taped a lot of them flying! It was like having a 3d ATV in the sky zipping around all over in the desert salt flats near mountains etc... Lots of fun activities watching Monte Hoskins dropping flour bombs on targets etc...

Looks like a beautiful machine. Was wondering if there is a horizontal stab anywhere? If my memory serves me, Rotor Hawk had a HS.
How’s the performance with the 503 and Benson blades? I have reservations at 215# and the high DA here in th AZ heat.
Thanks, Mike

Looks like a beautiful machine. Was wondering if there is a horizontal stab anywhere? If my memory serves me, Rotor Hawk had a HS.
How’s the performance with the 503 and Benson blades? I have reservations at 215# and the high DA here in th AZ heat.
Thanks, Mike
With the Rotax muffler it seemed to have a much broader torque curve than the original glass pack muffler. It felt really strong with the correct Rotax muffler. I also found having the exhaust nozzle face away from the prop made it much smoother through the throttle response. With the 25 foot rotor blades it outperformed an air command 532 Rotax. It seemed to climb faster and that was with the glass pack muffler. I would guess it would fly okay in cooler mornings in Arizona. Monte weighed about 180 without all of his helmet and snow mobile clothes, boots and camera. So, I am sure it would still fly okay in the cooler weather. Not sure if it is 115 degrees any ultralight would fly well though. It seemed to be a strong motor. With dual carbs it ran really well.

With the Rotax muffler it seemed to have a much broader torque curve than the original glass pack muffler. It felt really strong with the correct Rotax muffler. I also found having the exhaust nozzle face away from the prop made it much smoother through the throttle response. With the 25 foot rotor blades it outperformed an air command 532 Rotax. It seemed to climb faster and that was with the glass pack muffler. I would guess it would fly okay in cooler mornings in Arizona. Monte weighed about 180 without all of his helmet and snow mobile clothes, boots and camera. So, I am sure it would still fly okay in the cooler weather. Not sure if it is 115 degrees any ultralight would fly well though. It seemed to be a strong motor. With dual carbs it ran really well.
There is no horizontal stabilizer. It could be added. But I am not the original builder. Monte was a machinist so it is built way better than an amateur could build. He was after weight savings so didn't add the horizontal stabilizer. He was able to push and pull the joystick and I never saw an instability even without that stabilizer. He could turn way faster than the air command as well.

I'm hoping someone will buy this great aircraft. I feel bad just leaving it sit in my garage. The summer weather is better now. If someone were to pick it up there is less rain now. It has been garaged kept all of its life!