President trump

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
The economy is indeed continuing the trend started in 2009:
I like how you cherry pick the graphs. Before "O" got elected the S&P was around 1300 as the election got closer, people realized what was to come and they rushed to cash in making it tank to around 750. Fortunately there was no where to go but up. Over the next 8 years it rose, but only gained around 750 points from before it tanked. Early 2016 the new election is upon us so people started to invest more and more as the election came closer. As soon as Trump was elected, it has risen from around 2000 to over 3200 a gain of over 1200 points in less than 4 years. This is almost twice the growth we had under "O" and in half the time.
I can go on, but I've got some work to do.
Think about your personal hatred of our president and how un-christian that is of you. Let it go, just go vote in November if you want change.

Ed L

Holy cow....the GLOBAL 2008 market crash - the worst since the Great Depression - was because Obama was elected? I had no idea...

Hard to reason with that.

A month before the election it was already freefalling

5B919F84-005E-44A5-99C9-11F35CA1959F.png

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
It would be better if this thread was parked and locked - there are plenty of places to "discuss" politics on the web.

Gyros please.

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Holy cow....the GLOBAL 2008 market crash - the worst since the Great Depression - was because Obama was elected? I had no idea...

Hard to reason with that.

A month before the election it was already freefalling

View attachment 1146484
Yes, that's how investing works. The people who know how to do it right will be out of the market BEFORE it crashes, sometimes making the crash worse. The same goes with why there was an upward surge just before Trump was elected.

Ed L

I think the data would support the idea that the mortgage situation had far more to do with that and the failure of banks - globally.

Yes, the “hope and change” driven by Trump’s election caused optimism about removing the regs that tried to prevent another 2008 (for the most cited reasons for the collapse - not your assertion re the election) plus changes to the tax law - which, incidentally, have yet to benefit the debt.

Incidentally, please do not misrepresent my opinions as “hating” the president. That’s not accurate or fair. Many of his ACTIONS have been dishonest and immoral, in my opinion, in many cases, and I think they’re harmful to our democracy, but that’s not at all the same as HATING the PERSON. If you see something I said which contradicts that, I apologize.

And I would say the same about similar actions by ANY president, regardless of party. That’s just being honest and putting country over Party.

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Many of his ACTIONS have been dishonest and immoral,
His "actions" or policies? I have no problem with most of his policies. You are correct, his actions are not as fit and finished as a career politician, but that's not what we elected him to be. We elected him because he was NOT a career politician.
As far as dishonest and immoral, what example do you have of this?

Ed L

Trump: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters”.

Any attempt at a rational response seems futile.

Let’s go fly gyros. Be safe!

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
So that's it? Have you ever exaggerated a comment while trying to get a point across? How many people did he shoot? Remember you said you did not like his "Actions". Talk is just talk.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Trump: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters”.
Any attempt at a rational response seems futile.
THAT was your BEST "example" !?
Hmmm "rational".... let's just end by saying that some people have a completely irrational dislike of President Trump and cannot be swayed by the truth.
Great country (what is the slogan, something about keeping it that way...) that we live in; we can openly have these discussions, some cannot.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
If the chaos taking place at the Iowa Caucus is any indication of how they would run a Government. Hmmm???

If Bernie S is nominated he might go the way Jeremy Corbyn went in the UK elections.

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Ed L:
"Incidentally, please do not misrepresent my opinions as “hating” the president. That’s not accurate or fair. Many of his ACTIONS have been dishonest and immoral, in my opinion, in many cases, and I think they’re harmful to our democracy, but that’s not at all the same as HATING the PERSON. If you see something I said which contradicts that, I apologize."
WRONG, The USA is NOT a Democracy, never has been and hopefully never will be. We are a Constitutional Republic

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
FYI:
I copied this from a site on the net:
"Republics and Democracies both provide a political system in which citizens are represented by elected officials who are sworn to protect their interests.
In a pure Democracy, laws are made directly by the voting majority leaving the rights of the minority largely unprotected.
In a Republic, laws are made by representatives chosen the people and must comply with a constitution that specifically protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority."
There is an old wives tale saying:
"Tell a lie seven times and you will start to believe it"
For many years the news media and the Democratic party have been calling us a Democracy, likely in the hopes that if you believe we are a democracy then you will start voting that way. This is also why they are trying to remove the Electorial Collage and use only the popular vote; then only about 3 states will drive our country.

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
603 gyro (July 2020)
Most definetly is an answer, read John 17:17

In my opinion, all religious 'scriptures' are worthless as answers. They may have literary/poetic beauty, but that's also a matter of taste, since beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. And, also in my opinion, we are alone in a universe where we have appeared by chance, where there are no absolutes, no rules apart from those that we may invent in order to have a civilized coexistence. Hence, 'right' and 'wrong', as well as derivatives like good, bad, beautiful, or ugly can be (and often are) defined and re-defined as the majority see fit...

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
There is some truth. We are alive today. Sometime we will die. --And I am way off topic

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
FYI:
I copied this from a site on the net:
"Republics and Democracies both provide a political system in which citizens are represented by elected officials who are sworn to protect their interests.
In a pure Democracy, laws are made directly by the voting majority leaving the rights of the minority largely unprotected.
In a Republic, laws are made by representatives chosen the people and must comply with a constitution that specifically protects the rights of the minority from the will of the majority."
There is an old wives tale saying:
"Tell a lie seven times and you will start to believe it"
For many years the news media and the Democratic party have been calling us a Democracy, likely in the hopes that if you believe we are a democracy then you will start voting that way. This is also why they are trying to remove the Electorial Collage and use only the popular vote; then only about 3 states will drive our country.
I'm reluctant to help stir this pot, but one reason for disdain for the Electoral College is that it seems to some not to be a tool to ensure lawmakers consider minority rights in legislation, but a way to impose minority rule in elections. Trump's base is fanatically loyal, but he lost the popular vote by a wide margin and his overall percentage of approval rating has never risen out of the 40s (90s with republicans but not when dems and independents are included). His base has always been devoted but always a clear minority nationally. Shenigans over the years by both parties have led to bizzarely shaped districts that distort who carries each little sub-region (in some states the seats held in the legislature are way out of proportion to the votes cast for the parties). One's vote means a lot or a little depending on where you live. With bipartisan efforts now a quaint historical notion, winners take all, and minorities, rather than merely being protected, are in charge, and I doubt that was the intent of the founders.

k413

Aircraft
None.
Total Flight Time
About 40 hours - no license
One of the great misinterpretations of the first 10 amendments to the Constitution is that they were created to protect minorities from the majority. I also believed this to be the case for a long time. The reality is that the Bill of Rights was designed to protect the majority from an over reaching minority, i.e. the Federal Government. All those rights listed in the Bill of Rights talk about limiting what the authorities could do to individual freedom. Unfortunately, with the Supreme Court's interpretation of the 14th amendment, individual states and personal rights have been suborned to the Federal Governement. As best as I can tell, the Federal Government is really bad at running programs. Whether Republican or Demecrat the lure of being in power and "fixing" real or imaginary problems is pretty irrestitible and usually adds to the problems instead of resolving them.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
A comment, probably way off base, and from some 'Johnny foreigner’ into the bargin, but, I do consider the US political system to be extremely well ballanced and not very marginalised either to the ‘Left’ or to the ‘Right’.

I was in the US when there was, for a short period, no President at all. This due to some ‘hanging chads’.

When you have an important outcome such as the President of the most powerful country in the world down to a few hundred votes, you have a pretty balanced system.

This to my mind is desirable state of affairs, and incidentally, quite independent of my particular political opinions, which as a non citizen are entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Thanks for an interesting perspective. It might be worth noting, however, that the nationwide totals put Gore half a million ahead of Bush, and the few hundred votes in question were only in a little slice of Florida. Ultimately, the election was actually and practically decided by just 1 vote, that is, one Justice in a 5 - 4 decision at the Supreme Court.

The electoral college was meaningless for the entire twentieth century as the popular and electoral victors were always the same person. I don't think that the issue had arisen since the 1880s when Democrat and popular winner Grover Cleveland lost out to Republican Benjamin Harrison, and before that, Republican Hayes taking it away from Democrat Tilden. In the 21st century, the popular loser has taken office twice, each time the Republican. That's four out of four events since the two modern political parties were founded in which Republicans won out over Democrats, with both Republican Presidents this century benefiting from it to take office.

Against that background, it isn't hard to see why many Democrats think that the will of the people was not accurately reflected in those contests, and that each citizen's vote should count the same, no matter where you live. I imagine that if the situation had been the reverse in modern times, the Republicans would be equally angered and pushing for change.

Last edited:

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
I imagine that if the situation had been the reverse in modern times, the Republicans would be equally angered and pushing for change.
If the rules of the game were different, i.e. no electoral college, I'm sure the way the nominees campaign would also change.