Pre-ROTR Moab Utah Adventures

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
Christine Toevs and I are having a pre-ROTR adventure in Moab, UT. I've been wishing to fly here for years. I have not been disappointed. So fun.
See the video from day 1 at my YouTube channel...

Fantastic scenery! It was also unusual to see one of your flying videos that didn't involve a 2-stroke engine seizure! Four stroke power!

I am pretty leery of flying over any terrain without fair to good landing options available ... for the most part we have been within safe glide distance of tracks, trails & roads .... ,though obviously they don't show up well on the video!
In the cooler mornings with one-up and 15gal fuel ... I have been delighted with the performance of my 912 Rotax TE at this altitude! ...... after being used to the 914 with longer rotors - Down Under ... I was a bit concerned how much I'd enjoy the 912 at this high altitude!
Glenn's machine has been a strong performer here - looks & sounds awesome!

​​​​​​​Jeff .... I've been totally frustrated by my Mac computers and the "IMovies" update that rendered it useless for me to work with! Trying a new movie editor ... may get it going today!

Our adventure continues with the highlights from Day 2. Enjoy!

@ 4:02-4:10, when you cut way back on your throttle to descend, it sounded somewhat like your other videos of your two stroke engines starting to seize up! Thanks a lot...Just about gave me a heart attack!:eek::eek::eek:

Great videos, but is it possible to get some retractable landing gear? lol looks like great fun, I will be there on Wednesday with my 2 stroke. I am not sure that I will be as daring as you, I fly IFR (I fly roads)

Thank you. I use 2 GP H2s and a H3. I use Windows Live Movie Maker.

Trying to put together Day 3 right now.
Stay tuned...

dabkb2;n1120956 said:
Great videos, but is it possible to get some retractable landing gear? lol looks like great fun, ...

I'm trying to find good mount locations on the gyro, but no matter where I mount them I get the rolling shutter effect and shaking too. Probably won't use that lower keel location any more.

Wow, Bro, Great awesome, that is what life is suppose to be all about!
Doing it right, I cannot wait to do the same.

Thanks for sharing the joy of flight!

Glenn, great stuff - thanks for sharing. I have not found a good solution to mounting GP cameras anywhere on a gyro - the vibration and rolling shutter problem is always present. I ended up just handholding. Google's (YouTube's) new "stabilization" option does an amazing job of getting rid of vibration (which is great for making handheld stuff smoother) but it doesn't seem to deal with rolling shutter. Let's keep experimenting and sharing info!

Have a great time flying Moab - wish I could have made it.

Cheers, Paul.

The best video I ever managed on a gyro was a handheld gimble device ; the one I used was called a DJI Omni, but there are a number of them for GoPro. With anything else, particularly mounted directly to the frame, the 2/rev creates havoc for good video. There are of course very high priced gimble devices like the Gyrocam, but for high quality smooth video in a rotorcraft some form of stabilization device is needed. It's one of the main reasons I have gone back to FW for photography (a big passion of mine) and why I am building an Aircam. Nevertheless these are awesome videos Chris and Glenn, very jealous of your adventure, and I'm itching to fly out West ASAP. . If anyone is interested in seeing some awesome high quality flying video, check out the Aircam videos here. http://www.aircam.com/media-and-news/galleries/videos

This is Part 1 of the 3rd day of our Moab trip. This was a 1.75 hour flight, 102 miles total. We flew down from KCNY to Wilson Arch. Part 2 is coming and includes all the playing that we did on the way back from Wilson Arch.
Enjoy!

Glenn, what did you do differently for this one? I'm not seeing any jello effect on part 3. Nice video.

Paul.

Great video Glenn. Really enjoying your flights!!!
Thank you for sharing!

Yep... helmet cam.