Practicing "engine out" video. Magni M-24.

Barry M14

Aircraft
Apollo AG1
Total Flight Time
1,000 +
Hello Inquiring Mind My name is Barry and I see you are from New England. What part. I am based at 7B9 in Connecticut.
Maybe we could do some flying together. I have an AR1. I trained on a M16.

DavePA11

Inquiring Mind - you should fly down to Crow Island (8MA4) with your instructor sometime... Barry can met you there. Its a nice 2000' grass runway.

Dave, some days I sure will. For now I have whole laundry list where I want to fly first after getting the license.

DavePA11

Where are you with getting a license? Are you going for Sport Pilot or Private Pilot license? BTW - Don’t get caught up with taking videos if you are still learning. It can become distracting. Saw this happen with a trike student who flew into some tree tops...

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Well, that was fun! Thanks for sharing!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
In my opinion landing on a road is a bad idea.
In my experience roads have wires, signs and vehicles.
I feel it is a mistake to create an emergency to practice for an emergency.
Using the thousand foot marks on a runway is a good way to practice accurate landings.
In my opinion a successful off field engine out landing involves a lot of luck.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Nice videos. With my M24, and unless there's crosswind, I always land with the engine at idle from the start of the glide path, so to avoid the rolling reaction when you cut the throttle. I have yet to practice real engine-outs, i.e., killing the engine. I need more experience before that.
I have never done a real engine-out landing, myself, but the CFI that gave me my PPL check ride told me he had had a real engine out in his M16 and said that it's a VERY different experience/feeling from all the practice ones he had done at engine idle.

DavePA11

This would be a better spot than the road. :) Had a really strong 90 degree cross wind on my check ride so landed perpendicular to runway on centerline. The grass along the runway looks nice too.

1580570854185.png

Last edited:

DavePA11

Inquiring Mind - Are you landing mains first or three point? It’s safer if land mains first at lower forward speed then lowering nose wheel in my opinion. Dave