Idle thrust will not be there on a real engine out and seen some land short of target ... Some Turbine helicopters have this issue :oops:

Ha - You should have landed on the taxiway for your check ride! I’m sure he would have passed you on the spot. :) You’ll be just like Harrison Ford! “the schmuck that landed on the taxiway'” As Harrison said to the tower...

Last edited:
He has a really nice Husky too! Must be nice to be rich!

1617634902766.png

Last edited:
If you had landed on that same taxiway, someone would definitely have cared... just not as many people would have found out about it later on.

I know how you feel, but most of the airports that do have towers sort of need to have towers, at least part of the time.
I did my checkride at a non-towered airport that had a ton of traffic using two crossing runways simultaneously... it was a bit like the wild west.
I'd have been grateful to have had a tower there.

Block Island airport KBID needs a tower. What a mess during nice sunny days...

Becareful if you fly there. Commercial flights fly downwind along the coast since the coast is parallel to the runway, but it is miles away from the runway. It is not uncommon to have more than 5 planes on final many miles out due to the planes following the coast on downwind and base. See below photos when landing to the west.

So what happens is some planes will fly normal patterns and others will fly the scenic downwind, base and final. So planes on normal patterns cut into line of planes flying extended finals. So if flying normal pattern near runway don’t extend your downwind since someone may fly shorter base from a coast downwind... Crash...

1617685733490.jpeg
1617685765024.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, Dave. I haven't flown to Block Island yet, but it's on my list...

I’ll draw the patterns some of the commercial flight take so you know what to expect. Don’t know how to do that on my iPad.

Last edited: